Preview Round 16, 2020: St Kilda v Hawthorn, 6 September 2020, 1.05pm @ Metricon Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I reckon Day and Frost have shown the way most of the season, even as fresh faces and they're locked for 2021.

That leaves 2 debutants and Moore who needs to show something desperately to stay on the list. Finn is just in for romance.

It may end up a 100pt drubbing, but we're 3 games left and if we're not going to look at Moore and Ross now, we never will.

There is a reason they are not looking at Moore and Ross - they aren't much good - much like Hanrahan, Lewis and CJ. After 3 years on the list, countless intraclubs, VFL games and training, you don't think the coaches have an idea of who can play and who can't?

I always thought Cousins was stiff not to be getting more games as he finds the footy at will in the 2's but watching some of his defensive actions and efforts tonight, there is a reason he hasn't been playing.

We're tanking. When you're 20 points down to start the last so you decide to play TOB and Hanrahan in defense, where TOB has played maybe 10mins all season and Hanarahn has never played in his career, it's hard to defend that it's not a tank.

For that, there's no romance in playing the kids. They get nothing out of it since you're playing to lose playing a gameplan that no one wants to play.

I couldn't care less who the ins and outs are.

We're tanking. When you're 20 points down to start the last so you decide to play TOB and Hanrahan in defense, where TOB has played maybe 10mins all season and Hanarahn has never played in his career, it's hard to defend that it's not a tank.

For that, there's no romance in playing the kids. They get nothing out of it since you're playing to lose playing a gameplan that no one wants to play.

Agreed, just get it over with

Hanarahn started in defense against Port and looked good.

I’ve had a melt in the autopsy, now back to some sense.

Expecting any team to play on 5 day breaks against any side coming off double that is simply an unfair advantage but here we go again. We‘ve had the worst run of scheduling and hubs in the comp, throw in consistently poor umpiring and the season just needs to end. Our players look like it can’t come quick enough, and really who can blame them.

Clarko not wanting to throw too many kids to the wolves has merit. But we are getting mauled anyway and there is little protection from it now. I was just surprised (and sad) to realise we only have 3 games left. So even if we plan on delisting Ross etc, lets give them a chance to play AFL and tell their grandkids about playing for Hawthorn. We may just find something in them. Let the others rest and switch off for the year.

Let’s do the right thing and start planning the send off games for the old blokes with some press conferences and social media pumps ups. Those guys have been absolute champs.

Make the last two weeks as positive as possible for the group. Play the kids and best mates of the outgoing champs for the arm chair ride off the ground.

I’m just looking forward to 2021!

We are no chance the next two weeks so no need to tank too hard.
No doubt Burgoyne, Poppy and maybe even Hendo will be back for a farewell game v GC.
So two weeks to play some. Kids.
This week
Out - Burgoyne, Ceglar, TOB, Minch, Scully,
In - Day, Frost, Maginness, Moore, Ross

In Frost, Hartley, Shiels, Day, Maguinness, Greaves
Out Burgoyne, Stratton, Glass, Minchington, omit.
Hardwick, McEvoy managed.

Greaves Frawley Frost
Scrimshaw Hartley Day
Scully Worpel Impey
Gunston O’Brien Wingard
Breust Lewis Hanrahan
Ceglar Cousins Mitchell
Jiath Maguinness Howe Shiels

If O’Meara is fit one of Mitchell, Worpel or Wingard, might get manage as they have played every game. McEvoy and Hardwick have played every game, so I’ve got them managed

Last edited:
Stratton
Burgoyne
Minchington
Ceglar
TOB
Scully

Maybe Glass, Howe and Hanrahan too, given they were just plain bad.

Frost
Finn
Hartley
Day
Greaves
Morris

I'd like to see Walker, Moore and Ross come in for Glass and Hanrahan, if they were to be dropped.

Hardwick - Frawley - Frost
Greaves - Hartley - CJ

Big Boy - Mitchell - Cousins
Day - Finn - Scrimshaw

Worpel - Gunston - Wingard
Breust - Lewis - Morris

Moore - Ross - Walker - Impey

Let's see how Worpel plays up forward for most of the game, he needs another string to his bow. Now is the time to try.

Let's try a smaller forward line given our marking options are deplorable (TOB playing KPF all year and averaging under three marks, case in point).

Let's see how Day and Scrimshaw go as tall skillful wingers.

Let's see Finn get a crack in the middle. Let's see how Cousins goes shouldering a larger portion of the load.

Let's see if Greaves, Moore, Ross and Walker actually have something to offer us. Hopefully they do, because Hanrahan, Glass and Howe (less so) don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This horror year of few highlights or wins needs an injection of a different look for the remaining games.

The selections in the last game was horrible and I prefer to lose by 10 goals but have a go with spirit.

The AFL have handed the club a poor hand ever since having to go to play the handbaggers at their ground.

Hub in Sydney, play at a ground the side has never won at. Go to Perth which felt like the G.

Then off to the Adelaide Hills, where the vineyards are better than a dysfunctional footy side that all
suffer in the end.

It irks me when they say QLD is the home of AFL this year and the hawks are the only side not to stay
there this season.
Preseason camp is all we got in the sunshine state.

The blokes not playing are at a disadvantage due to restrictions and the list size is changing.

Any chance of fresh blood against the saints?
Love to see youth but most are not match fit.
It's rather depressing that we have blokes in the side who appear to have low confidence.

A couple on debut on Sunday would be ideal, if only to see what new faces can help with excitement of playing.

Sorry to ramble on but it's been 16 odd years since I've seen the side look like a rabble.
2020 - the year the AFL and Covid killed the hawks confidence....very sad state of affairs....

Last edited:
By my count Frawley has played 98 games for the hawks. Surely we make sure he gets to that 100 game mark (if hes going to get a contract next year happy to see others for remainder of the year). If he is in the gun I hope they get him to 100 games. Don't want another Anderson situation down the line

By my count Frawley has played 98 games for the hawks. Surely we make sure he gets to that 100 game mark (if hes going to get a contract next year happy to see others for remainder of the year). If he is in the gun I hope they get him to 100 games. Don't want another Anderson situation down the line
Man that hurts I know.
Should be down graded to 50 games I feel.
You pay enough now with the bidding system etc.
Would of been a good draft last year if we had of picked up Noah, Finn & Day.
& before you jump in I'm sure the club would of managed to get the necessary points to acquire all players.

Man that hurts I know.
Should be down graded to 50 games I feel.
You pay enough now with the bidding system etc.
Would of been a good draft last year if we had of picked up Noah, Finn & Day.
& before you jump in I'm sure the club would of managed to get the necessary points to acquire all players.
We would not have had Day as pick 13 would have been used for Anderson points - we would have traded 13 to get more points to cover Anderson and Finn

There is a reason they are not looking at Moore and Ross - they aren't much good - much like Hanrahan, Lewis and CJ. After 3 years on the list, countless intraclubs, VFL games and training, you don't think the coaches have an idea of who can play and who can't?

I always thought Cousins was stiff not to be getting more games as he finds the footy at will in the 2's but watching some of his defensive actions and efforts tonight, there is a reason he hasn't been playing.
Agree. Our list is horrible. Crows young players showed more last night than ours have all season. It won’t happen on Clarko’s watch, but a full rebuild is required.

We are no chance the next two weeks so no need to tank too hard.
No doubt Burgoyne, Poppy and maybe even Hendo will be back for a farewell game v GC.
So two weeks to play some. Kids.
This week
Out - Burgoyne, Ceglar, TOB, Minch, Scully,
In - Day, Frost, Maginness, Moore, Ross
Hendo is down in VIC after surgery. Doubt he comes back for a farewell game. Poppy will get one though you would imagine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back