Game Day Round 16, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *GEARY 200TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
tPfXnI9.png

Only years of conditioning as a Saints fan could make me feel so apprehensive about going in to a game against a side that is tanking

At least you know that you're not alone.
Fan wise we must appear to the rest of the competition as the equivalent of Bavarian S&M advocates and aficionados.

Fan wise we must appear to the rest of the competition as the equivalent of Bavarian S&M advocates and aficionados.

We can take solace in the fact that all of us in this forum know exactly what we are all going through! Haha :grinning::grinning:

Only years of conditioning as a Saints fan could make me feel so apprehensive about going in to a game against a side that is tanking
If we get beaten by the Hawks it would be crushing - we need the win and come through with no injuries and a confidence boost - we have to be happy with the season so far , we have only been flogged by the Magpies and Cats the other 4 games we could well of won - all being with in a goal.
Having Carlisle and Membery come back in next week will a plus against a in form WCE a fit Dunstan would be handy as well.
WCE not having Shoey and hopefully a few others after they play the Dogs in a game they need to win to stay in the battle for the 4.

If we get beaten by the Hawks it would be crushing - we need the win and come through with no injuries and a confidence boost - we have to be happy with the season so far , we have only been flogged by the Magpies and Cats the other 4 games we could well of won - all being with in a goal.
Having Carlisle and Membery come back in next week will a plus against a in form WCE a fit Dunstan would be handy as well.
WCE not having Shoey and hopefully a few others after they play the Dogs in a game they need to win to stay in the battle for the 4.

Those games against North and Freo where we threw away 6 goal leads have really come back to bite us ...

I agree that we just need to bank the 4 points and come through unscathed. We SHOULD be too good, but we've seen that kind of situation before. It's Ratts' job to ensure the team don't get complacent and ensure that our intensity is at 100% from the first bounce.

I think the Hawthorn tactic against St Kilda will be basically classic defence at all costs, to turn it into a low scoring slog.

We'll need to be patient and take all our chances, stop bombing and think our way through it. Membrey is a great target up front, so Battle and Marsh are really going to have to present mark and kick well for us to have any chance. Naturally King too, but will we keep using him as a marker for high bombs into the hotspot or will we try to exploit his speed?

Marshall and Ryder should give our boys first look and Steele v Mitchell is a tantalising duel. Zac Jones burnt the ball pretty badly against his brothers team, will he redeem himself this time?

Ed Phillips is intriguing: most say he's not good enough but I've been on this forum long enough to see quick judgement turn out to be proven wrong do I'll wait and see. I wonder if Ratts has pondered whether it's worth chucking him in the forward line, his goal kicking is more effective than his field kicking.

Our backs look a bit weak, hopefully the ball won't be round them much.

I'll be hopefully still asleep for the first half of this match at least, I'm too nervous we'll botch it again, this is a match we must and should win easily.

Go Saints!

Everyone's assuming this mystery defender is Geary, but I assumed it was Howard, who has been pretty hot and cold lately if not all year, and who is more of a match for Carlisle positionally speaking.

Everyone's assuming this mystery defender is Geary, but I assumed it was Howard, who has been pretty hot and cold lately if not all year, and who is more of a match for Carlisle positionally speaking.

That was my thought too. Howard has been good at times and clearly has potential...but he's definitely not living up to the expectations and hype that surrounded his arrival to the club.
I'd be pissed if I was Jake.

Howard in average form is still a better option for us than jake at FB.

This is the EXACT reason why we went and paid a first round pick for howard last year, despite having jake and battle as proven tall backmen.

Ratts would rather see jake out of the team than him at fullback, which given that (as I've said for years) that jake is tall roberton, not a true key position defender- this is an entirely reasonable thing for ratts to do.

Doogie is still playing too loose at FB at getting burned, but he still defends 1 v 1 situations far better than jake can, and that's a FB's number 1 job.

Jake will come back in and play well this year, but it won't be at FB unless ratts gets desperate due to a howard injury.

Last edited:

Here I was thinking it was Long, who I reckon has been underperforming of late.
Obviously agreed on by the selectors seeing he has been named on the bench.
** Might be his rocket up the ahh! to get him going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not going to say that this is a "must win" game, because we lose those games. Instead it is a "we will sh*t it in" game. I hope that King can hold most his marks at least once this season and kick four, and Butler gets off his backside and regains the intensity of earlier in the season, and Billings might look a bit more interested than he has in the last couple of games.Our backline is doing ok, just need the forward half to get involved today.

Assuming the op is correct, if it is Howard I'm not sure Carlisle has a right to be upset. Howard and Carlisle have had similar outputs this year if you are being honest and Howard is both 4 years younger and is better one on one.

Not to mention the backline is playing short without Carlilse since Battle is spending most of his time up the field.

We should be able to get away with dumb football today. SurpriseD to see Ben Bomb It Long held his spot. Let’s hope we’ve Taken away some lessons from last weeks debacle.

Then Melbourne supporters are Teutonic scat and leather fiends, they are a step down the pervert rabbit hole from us even. Watching their season is like some kind of asphyxia torture.

Assuming the op is correct, if it is Howard I'm not sure Carlisle has a right to be upset. Howard and Carlisle have had similar outputs this year if you are being honest and Howard is both 4 years younger and is better one on one.

Not to mention the backline is playing short without Carlilse since Battle is spending most of his time up the field.

I think that's the difference to be honest. Howard can actually spoil where Jake is more of a pure intercept defender. Howard isn't quite as good as I had hoped but he is like a more defensive version of Jake.

Howard in average form is still a better option for us than jake at FB.

This is the EXACT reason why we went and paid a first round pick for howard last year, despite having jake and battle as proven tall backmen.

Ratts would rather see jake out of the team than him at fullback, which given that (as I've said for years) that jake is tall roberton, not a true key position defender- this is an entirely reasonable thing for ratts to do.

Doogie is still playing too loose at FB at getting burned, but he still defends 1 v 1 situations far better than jake can, and that's a FB's number 1 job.

Jake will come back in and play well this year, but it won't be at FB unless ratts gets desperate due to a howard injury.
Carlisle has lost 6 of 29 1v1s this year. Better then any of our other defenders except (I think) Wilkie. Give it a rest.

I think the Hawthorn tactic against St Kilda will be basically classic defence at all costs, to turn it into a low scoring slog.

We'll need to be patient and take all our chances, stop bombing and think our way through it. Membrey is a great target up front, so Battle and Marsh are really going to have to present mark and kick well for us to have any chance. Naturally King too, but will we keep using him as a marker for high bombs into the hotspot or will we try to exploit his speed?

Marshall and Ryder should give our boys first look and Steele v Mitchell is a tantalising duel. Zac Jones burnt the ball pretty badly against his brothers team, will he redeem himself this time?

Ed Phillips is intriguing: most say he's not good enough but I've been on this forum long enough to see quick judgement turn out to be proven wrong do I'll wait and see. I wonder if Ratts has pondered whether it's worth chucking him in the forward line, his goal kicking is more effective than his field kicking.

Our backs look a bit weak, hopefully the ball won't be round them much.

I'll be hopefully still asleep for the first half of this match at least, I'm too nervous we'll botch it again, this is a match we must and should win easily.

Go Saints!

Phillips to me is a fascinating study in fan psychology. I think we started to write him off when he'd played as well as any player we'd had for years in his first game and the ITKs said not to get excited because he couldn't kick.....then we played Dunny and others instead. He was getting good numbers, he trains hard and doesn't mind working hard or running. He's an ordinary VFL player, probably because he's quite outside or maybe he's just not very motivated playing down. But when he comes in he's good. He's usually first dropped regardless of form though.

The fans on here seem to hate him but love guys like Byrnes and Bytel who have shown less. Against Geelong I would have had him in our best few players and he was one of only a few who could score and set up others. The kid seems to be a victim of confirmation bias. Hasn't done too much wrong. If Hill had played to his standard all year people wouldn't complain about him.

People were doing it to Paton early this year too but he's been so good he's been able to make people take another look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back