Autopsy Round 16, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *GEARY 200TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

At least we are singing the song. Lots to work on will be the message I'm sure. But we fought our way through. Lacked confidence. But we got our game going more and more as the game progressed. Leaked too many goals. That was puzzling.

Anyway. Two tough games to finish.

4 points was all that mattered today and we got it, even though we seemed bloody nervous after all our tight losses this year.

Goes without saying we need to step it up against the Eagles but they will have played an extra game recently and I think we need a challenge for this group to snap out of this form slump.

I love the people that dont have an opinion either way, but are just waiting for the result of the game either way to criticise people either way
Very brave of them. Criticise everybody else but don't have an opinion of your own. Heroes.

Knew this was going to come up. You do know that people can change their views, right? If I think we're not going to make finals and then we make a case for it obviously I'll change my opinion. Silly to think otherwise.
Fair enough. Just thought everyone would've expected us to win this game so not sure why you've changed opinion.

Anyway, hopefully Coffield is okay, he's probably our best defender now. And Marshall, what a beast. He's going to be such a weapon for the next better part of a decade.

Wanted
2x inside mids, 2x wing rotations that can read a tap from a ruckman.
Yours in confidence, Steele.

Stoppage work was atrocious, like 60% of the Hawks score is through our shizen stoppage instances, we doing jack squat in there in any sort of pressure situation.

That being said, won a game we should have, stemmed the bleeding and slowly chipped away to show some maturity instead of just being the hard fast team that when challenged give up.

Some observations:

Lonie whilst good, does not have a body for AFL footy, cannot stick a tackle, cannot stay on his feet when pressured / tackled, just easily bodied out of things.

Long, brilliant, shows why he was drafted and the style of player he can as unlike say Parker with flashy highlights, Longs is tenacious and school of hard knocks.

Sincs stood up to provide a alt on the other wing as opposed to Phillips who battled horribly that match, Hill was Hill, Billings required up forward as you had Abbott, Marsh as "new" and sometimes ruck Roma with Battle having to plug gaps.

But we seriously need to work out what the s**t we're doing in the midfield.

Steele was great, Ross servicable, Jones like Hill has too many dinky little touches and paddles, but unlike Hill being outside in space, Jones is inside and often going to ground in contest. We are missing that Hanners type third big body to allow Jones to step back burst through and otherwise impact better.

Very brave of them. Criticise everybody else but don't have an opinion of your own. Heroes.
Some people need to read what they put up about the club after the dockers and Melbourne games and now take the morale high ground LOL

In an effort to keep things reasonably positive, Coffield and Marshall were fantastic today. Coff in particular is improving every week. :thumbsu:
Coffield has been phenomenal this year. Never been so happy to be proven wrong. Marshall's forward craft is improving by the week, just gotta work on those set shots!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t need to get out of 3rd gear luckily.

My favourite play of the day was in the 2nd quarter when Hawks flooded back and we used Hill out wide. He sucked 2 men to him and cut inside allowing him to find the loose man in Sincs and he popped it over the top to Lonie (I think) - who scored the set shot.

That’s how we need to play when teams flood. Composed footy and get the ball to the likes of Hill who can create something and hit a loose man instead of bombing to an even contest.

Last edited:
Did it the hard way, as usual, but it's a huge win. The kicking accuracy was disappointing (11:14) but we managed to get the points after a very poor start. Hardly a great performance, but it was a case of managing to come through. Take the win gratefully.
You been up all night mate?

So I think If gws beat Melbourne we get in by percentage, if Melbourne beat gws we need to beat gws to get 8th.

Assuming dogs lose today and Collingwood beat the sun's.

Have been a knocker of Kent last few weeks BUT he was good in that 2nd half when needed

Let's try not to attack each other. We all go for the same side here in our most optimistic season since 2010.

Bad: selection. Defence, we let sides score far too easily against us.

Good: Hill was amazing. Kent awesome. Long getting some form back. Paddy Ryder had some good moments. Marshall fwd worked. We need king and membrey back.

4 points was all that mattered today and we got it, even though we seemed bloody nervous after all our tight losses this year.

Goes without saying we need to step it up against the Eagles but they will have played an extra game recently and I think we need a challenge for this group to snap out of this form slump.

We don't play the short ground well. It's about 40 meters between each arc judging it on the TV. They were clearing from the middle and one kick setting up goals. They nullified Jones and his ability to burst out of the centre for us which made us look slow and scared.

We were the best 1st qtr team in the first half of the year but our first qtrs over the last few weeks have killed us.

Hopefully Coffield is good to go, looked pretty ginger with that ankle.

Fingers crossed the Eagles and Dogs smash each other tonight.

Missed a great opportunity to work on that percentage.
Coffield would be a big loss but we have enough halfbacks to fill in for one game - having Carlisle come back will fix our structure in the backline.
Once again Coffield , Paton and Long did the job down back.

Let's try not to attack each other. We all go for the same side here in our most optimistic season since 2010.

Bad: selection. Defence, we let sides score far too easily against us.

Good: Hill was amazing. Kent awesome. Long getting some form back. Paddy Ryder had some good moments. Marshall fwd worked. We need king and membrey back.
Really need to look at giving Kent some midfield - up the ground minutes more often

Remove this Banner Ad

Back