Autopsy Round 16, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *GEARY 200TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Lonie had a really good game I thought. He’s a very smart player and reads the game well, knows when to play quick (his tap on on the boundary line that led to Ryder’s goal) and when to slow down (taking the shot instead of playing on with 2 minutes left).

The problem with him is that for all his effort in pressuring the opposition, it goes unrewarded a lot of the time due to his tackles not sticking. He’s just so small.

It looks like it will be a case of a player’s physical attributes getting in the way of becoming an elite small forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lonie did play ok but agree his tackles are laughable in their feebleness. I guess we just keep rotating Lonie, Parker and Hind to stop any of them getting complacent because let's face it none of them are much chop. Biggest upside for me is Parker so I'd keep giving him a look.

Scrappy win but we have some useful players to come back.

Yeah I think the vast majority of all players had decent games actually.

What killed us from looking anywhere near our best more than anything was out structure being all over the shop with 3 rucks and no members and king.

The players are still obviously struggling to wrap their heads around the 'move the ball quickly, but sometimes slowly' message.

We seem to have no problems doing the extremes- all out attack or keepings off tempo footy... but we are clearly working through issues around when to do both.
Not all the players seem to be on the same page yet about when to stop and go.

Glad ratts is continuing to play the long game and persisting with making them work on playing fast and slow.

He could be forgiven for telling them to go out there everyweek with all out attack, given how well it has worked this year.

But he knows we clearly need more strings to our bow come finals time this year and beyond.

Lonie probably needs to stay in- his footy smarts are handy and gives a lot of effort. We still need to sort the forward line structure and style out as we haven't really nailed FF and CHF, and if we go into finals, then one of those KPFs needs to be showing a bit of form if we want to go further.

Tough crowd.

I reckon Lonie could kick 6 goals and people would still be complaining about him.

Caused a number of turnovers yesterday with repeat pressure that wouldn't get a stat, same with a few clever tap-ons which result in goals.

Kicked 2 clutch goals, one from 50 in a 14 point win, a couple of inside 50 tackles.

Pretty clear we've missed him over the last month.

Lonie's a talented footballer but if he's going to make it he's got to find a way to make tackles stick. He's like a small yappy dog, yesterday he was able to worry some pups out of the ball but a German Shepard would just bowl through him.

Lonie's a talented footballer but if he's going to make it he's got to find a way to make tackles stick. He's like a small yappy dog, yesterday he was able to worry some pups out of the ball but a German Shepard would just bowl through him.
He and butler are #2 & #4 in the comp for inside 50 tackles...

Lonie is never going to tackle like Ben Long but if he’s creating goals and turnovers who gives a s**t.

Some reverse little man syndrome happening here.

What’s with this forum getting adds for manscaping, only seen the last 4 inches of my member since 2008 got a pisstank on me like Stuey Dew.
Anyway onwards and upwards , gee Kent who woulda thought.

Im getting ads showing me an awesome framed brendan goddard 300 games poster... in a glorious bombers jumper.
*vomit*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wanted
2x inside mids, 2x wing rotations that can read a tap from a ruckman.
Yours in confidence, Steele.

Stoppage work was atrocious, like 60% of the Hawks score is through our shizen stoppage instances, we doing jack squat in there in any sort of pressure situation.

That being said, won a game we should have, stemmed the bleeding and slowly chipped away to show some maturity instead of just being the hard fast team that when challenged give up.

Some observations:

Lonie whilst good, does not have a body for AFL footy, cannot stick a tackle, cannot stay on his feet when pressured / tackled, just easily bodied out of things.

Long, brilliant, shows why he was drafted and the style of player he can as unlike say Parker with flashy highlights, Longs is tenacious and school of hard knocks.

Sincs stood up to provide a alt on the other wing as opposed to Phillips who battled horribly that match, Hill was Hill, Billings required up forward as you had Abbott, Marsh as "new" and sometimes ruck Roma with Battle having to plug gaps.

But we seriously need to work out what the sh*t we're doing in the midfield.

Steele was great, Ross servicable, Jones like Hill has too many dinky little touches and paddles, but unlike Hill being outside in space, Jones is inside and often going to ground in contest. We are missing that Hanners type third big body to allow Jones to step back burst through and otherwise impact better.
Lonie doesn't have the body for AFL football?? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? So in your ideal football world, Eddie Betts, Kevin Bartlett, Paul Callery should never have played AFL/VFL football.
I thought Lonie was fantastic with his pressure and his efforts to keep given options when no one else was. He kicked 2 and helped set up a few. I know you expect more from him but he is doing better than our other small forwards bar Butler, so how about you give the little fella a break please.

Lonie did play ok but agree his tackles are laughable in their feebleness. I guess we just keep rotating Lonie, Parker and Hind to stop any of them getting complacent because let's face it none of them are much chop. Biggest upside for me is Parker so I'd keep giving him a look.
I was impressed when he kicked that goal from around 50m out , he always struggled for distance.

I think people would be shocked to find out how much they are tracked by Facebook and how much info they have on them.

If you are logged into facebook and or instagram in a browser, then nearly every click you make is being gathered by FB. Most sites have a tracking tile that sends all browsing data to the Zuck.

You throw up a like or even linger on a photo in instagram, that goes into the algorithm too.

Take something like this for example… sure gringo2011 offered up a cheeky like, purely on the basis of the saints outfit… but suddenly he's getting ads about getting silky smooth balls and mid-life crisis convertibles… cause maybe there's just a little nagging feeling in that back of his mind, that with a little manscaping and a tighter jaw he could have one last crack and find out what all this tinder fuss is about.

IMG_1188.jpg

Last edited:
We need Lonie in. His i50s and footy smarts are going to be so important against WCE who are elite at intercepting. Yeah he missed a few tackles, but he wasn't the only one.

Re Sinclair. If we were more composed going inside 50 yesterday he wouldve had 2 shots about 30 out on the run together with his gimme handball to Battle. He's putting together a nice season.

Whateley and Cornes on SEN discussing that Clarko is becoming a sook about everything every time they lose, and being an ungracious loser. They believe he is deflecting from his team’s performance.

They played the grab of Clarko saying we won’t score playing the “hands off” or win finals to which Whateley said we did exactly what we should, and actually scored 80 points with 25 scoring shots, in shortened quarters. Basically gave Clarko a whack for his attitude.

Tough crowd.

I reckon Lonie could kick 6 goals and people would still be complaining about him.

Caused a number of turnovers yesterday with repeat pressure that wouldn't get a stat, same with a few clever tap-ons which result in goals.

Kicked 2 clutch goals, one from 50 in a 14 point win, a couple of inside 50 tackles.

Pretty clear we've missed him over the last month.
I thought there was a passage of play in the first quarter where he put in enormous repeat defensive efforts that inspired the whole team to lift their defensive efforts.

Lonie doesn't have the body for AFL football?? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? So in your ideal football world, Eddie Betts, Kevin Bartlett, Paul Callery should never have played AFL/VFL football.
I thought Lonie was fantastic with his pressure and his efforts to keep given options when no one else was. He kicked 2 and helped set up a few. I know you expect more from him but he is doing better than our other small forwards bar Butler, so how about you give the little fella a break please.

eddie betts is 5 kegs heavier!!! that before you look at the output of both.

Whateley and Cornes on SEN discussing that Clarko is becoming a sook about everything every time they lose, and being an ungracious loser. They believe he is deflecting from his team’s performance.

They played the grab of Clarko saying we won’t score playing the “hands off” or win finals to which Whateley said we did exactly what we should, and actually scored 80 points with 25 scoring shots, in shortened quarters. Basically gave Clarko a whack for his attitude.

the thing i really don't get is Clarko won flags with this philosophy of a short possession game. the idea being if the oppo doesn't have the ball they can't score. the oppo's manic pressure is also ineffective if you mark it.

i like the fact we tried to slow it down. especially with the dominance hawthorn was having in the marking contest on the high ball.

i agree with Clarko's sentiment that we won't trouble finals side with how we are playing, but i disagree it was due to that approach. i think because we don't do that enough, nor can play a tough grinding contested brand, is why we won't go deep.

we need to do more of what Clarko is whinging about!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back