Preview Round 16, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn - Metricon Stadium, Sunday 6th September, 1:05PM AEST *GEARY 200TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Hawks

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are mistaking this fact for good play. The problem is that most of those inside 50's were roosts, or shanks, and were ineffective.

To paraphrase a saying. It does not matter how big your kick is, it is how you use it that counts.
You may be right but we still managed to butcher 3 easy shots at goal and stuffed up some easy plays inside 50 as well that would have resulted in goals.

Don't understand how you came to thar conclusion.

Our list seems a similar standards to Melbourne. They have more quality players right now that are at that peak age while we've got more quality kids.

Essendon's list is no good. Doubt there'd be many that would take there's over ours. Their age demographic suggests they should be winning finals by now while ours suggest our best is still a couple of years away.

Hawks have got the oldest list in the comp and still rely heavily on older players and a quality coach to keep them competitive.

We've got close to the youngest and least experienced 22's in the top 8 (I think Brisbane would be the only one close to us).

Of course Essendon should be playing finals. They have mental issues to still be garbage but also injury to explain why they aren't ahead of others. Essendon has pissed away a generation so you wouldn't want them and seeing Daniher's broken obviously you would be pretty crazy to want him over king.

Melbourne has multiple elite players we have zero. They should be further ahead than us and we aren't going to make ground unless we start to draft/trade some guns in quickly. We would still have the worst top end of any side bar Gold Coast. Freo have Fyfe, Carlton Cripps, Hawks even have a Brownlow medalist. Hopefully Steele continues this trajectory. That Petracca miss was a huge * up, I'm struggling to let it go.

Don't understand how you came to thar conclusion.

Our list seems a similar standards to Melbourne. They have more quality players right now that are at that peak age while we've got more quality kids.

Essendon's list is no good. Doubt there'd be many that would take there's over ours. Their age demographic suggests they should be winning finals by now while ours suggest our best is still a couple of years away.

Hawks have got the oldest list in the comp and still rely heavily on older players and a quality coach to keep them competitive.

We've got close to the youngest and least experienced 22's in the top 8 (I think Brisbane would be the only one close to us).
Brisbane have a young list overall but their best 22 is around the 100 games average experience level - which is where you want to be when playing finals.

I dont think it is playing favourites. Balance wise, we had too many outside players last night and too many who had to rotate on the wing. Reality is he is a fringe player and other, more proven players will always get more leeway before being omitted than him.

Looking at the players and their skills, I would prefer Billings and Hill to be spending more time on the wings than anyone else. Battle is able to play elsewhere which makes him more valuable to the side next week than Phillips, therefore he would be the unfortunate one to go out for team balance.

See that's where we differ, how is he a fringe player when he's played 12 games? He's a developing player. Fringe is Savage or Roberton who is good enough for depth but not best 22 any more. To me Phillips run was actually the only thing that kept us in the game. He was running to provide options on the ball coming out of defence. Hill had a heap of ball but used it poorly. Phillips was worth a lot more than his possession tally showed. If we've shelved him as depth only then we aren't developing players very well. He might not be a star yet but we aren't exactly holding any of them out of the side ATM.

Out Hind & Kent
In Lonie & Parker

Then 2 to 3 weeks
Out Lonie and Parker
In Hind and Kent

What we have seen with those 4 is all we will ever get from them

In Bytel and Byrnes get them ready for next year
You have to pick for team balance. That would require a complete change of game plan in one week. Also didn’t people have a go at rats for not playing enough in the middle? If we did those changes he would have to be in the forward line the whole game. I agree that we just rotate the same few but if we win who cares. The problem is the 2 in at the moment have been involved when we have lost 3 of our last 4.

See that's where we differ, how is he a fringe player when he's played 12 games? He's a developing player. Fringe is Savage or Roberton who is good enough for depth but not best 22 any more. To me Phillips run was actually the only thing that kept us in the game. He was running to provide options on the ball coming out of defence. Hill had a heap of ball but used it poorly. Phillips was worth a lot more than his possession tally showed. If we've shelved him as depth only then we aren't developing players very well. He might not be a star yet but we aren't exactly holding any of them out of the side ATM.
He's a fringe player because he hovers around the emergencies/22nd player selected every week.

He's not bad when in the team but I just think the other wings in our best 22 offer more so if I was leaving one out, it would be him.

You have to pick for team balance. That would require a complete change of game plan in one week. Also didn’t people have a go at rats for not playing enough in the middle? If we did those changes he would have to be in the forward line the whole game. I agree that we just rotate the same few but if we win who cares. The problem is the 2 in at the moment have been involved when we have lost 3 of our last 4.
Hind will be out this week fair enough. But look at the 3 games St Kilda lost with them in. Most in the team have had a poor game. Has not played well but either has the other small forwards at the same time. Maybe a bit to do with how the games have been played. Hopefully doesn't dint his confidence and he can get back.

Of course Essendon should be playing finals. They have mental issues to still be garbage but also injury to explain why they aren't ahead of others. Essendon has pissed away a generation so you wouldn't want them and seeing Daniher's broken obviously you would be pretty crazy to want him over king.

Melbourne has multiple elite players we have zero. They should be further ahead than us and we aren't going to make ground unless we start to draft/trade some guns in quickly. We would still have the worst top end of any side bar Gold Coast. Freo have Fyfe, Carlton Cripps, Hawks even have a Brownlow medalist. Hopefully Steele continues this trajectory. That Petracca miss was a huge fu** up, I'm struggling to let it go.
Oh well, only performances over the next couple of years will prove who's right.

Melbourne look like they have more elite players right now because they are all 24-28 years old.

Despite thst, there's every chance we have a couple in the AA team at this stage.

Guys like King, Battle, Coffield, Clark, Paton etc aren't even past 50 games and are probably a year or two off becoming that.

I'm confident in the direction we are going and think we will continue to go past the likes of Essendon and Hawthorn and continue to compete closely with Melbourne as we have been.

Ben McEvoy to be best on ground after we dominate inside fifty’s and he takes a dozen marks

Would be nice if Ratten and co could figure out a game plan this week that doesn't revolve around bombing F50 entries to the opposition''s best key defender.

Is that too much to ask?

Long needs to come out and not just because of that Sputnik kick that chewed up about 18 seconds while it freed itself of the earth’s gravity well with 45 seconds left. He runs around like a chook with its head cut off looking like he’s busy but doesn’t actually impact the game. Time for some scratch match education.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long needs to come out and not just because of that Sputnik kick that chewed up about 18 seconds while it freed itself of the earth’s gravity well with 45 seconds left. He runs around like a chook with its head cut off looking like he’s busy but doesn’t actually impact the game. Time for some scratch match education.

I've been a big supporter of his but he has been disappointing since he came back from suspension, maybe time to give him a spell and give Savage another crack or Webster if he is ready.

Another thing they could look at is playing Long up forward, after all he started his career for us in the forward line and was reasonably effective in that role.

We need to try something different with our forward line because it just isn't working at the moment, 48 and 49 points in our last 2 games, we won't win many games serving up those sorts of scores.

Watch Darren Minchington burn us :sick:

They're calling for him to be dropped on the Hawks board, maybe he can get a game for us, we could do with him with the way our small forwards are going.

My brain hurts trying to work out the best results for us to make finals. Should never have come to this and while we still control our own destiny I'm extremely nervous about all 3 games.

Starting today what is the best result for us in the Carlton v Collingwood game? A Blues loss pretty puts line through them so I’m thinking we want the maggies to get up. Does that sound right and if so htf do I bring myself to barrack for Collingwood?

My brain hurts trying to work out the best results for us to make finals. Should never have come to this and while we still control our own destiny I'm extremely nervous about all 3 games.

Starting today what is the best result for us in the Carlton v Collingwood game? A Blues loss pretty puts line through them so I’m thinking we want the maggies to get up. Does that sound right and if so htf do I bring myself to barrack for Collingwood?

Pretty much just what I posted on the General thread. 😬

A draw.

I think it's best for us if Carlton wins. it keeps us above Collingwood and would leave us both with 1 winnable on paper and 2 speculative long odds games left.

Would love to see Marshall play a full game at FF with Kingy in the pocket. He tore May apart in that short stint in the last quarter.

Chuck Abbott into the crash and bash role supporting Ryder in the ruck and we look a bit different.

Takes the pressure off King and maybe he snags a few more cheekies.

I think it's best for us if Carlton wins. it keeps us above Collingwood and would leave us both with 1 winnable on paper and 2 speculative long odds games left.
Cheers but Collingwood are already above us. I think they are already locks. Actually I have no idea tbh!

Had we won last night, relying on other results would be largely irrelevant. And if may auntie had b@11s she'd be my uncle.

Would love to see Marshall play a full game at FF with Kingy in the pocket. He tore May apart in that short stint in the last quarter.

Chuck Abbott into the crash and bash role supporting Ryder in the ruck and we look a bit different.

Takes the pressure off King and maybe he snags a few more cheekies.
Far to slow and completely destroys bench rotations. 3 rucks in one side. It’s a no for me.

Far to slow and completely destroys bench rotations. 3 rucks in one side. It’s a no for me.

Doesn’t seem to impede other teams and it won’t really hurt us considering our smalls can’t actually get their hands on the ball at the moment.

Doesn’t seem to impede other teams and it won’t really hurt us considering our smalls can’t actually get their hands on the ball at the moment.
Marshall hasn’t done much to prove he is a proper forward. Abbott hasn’t done much to prove he is an AFL ruck. We lose all Marshall’s best assets and replace him with a non proven afl player. We need more runners not less.

Marshall hasn’t done much to prove he is a proper forward. Abbott hasn’t done much to prove he is an AFL ruck. We lose all Marshall’s best assets and replace him with a non proven afl player. We need more runners not less.

Not with the bombing game style we are trying to play.

Kingy can’t get it done as the lone forward unfortunately, he needs support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back