Preview Round 16, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn - Metricon Stadium, Sunday 6th September, 1:05PM AEST *GEARY 200TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Hawks

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
vOChoTU.png

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
As far as I can see we are going to have to win 2 of our last 3. Going to be tough from here but this is a game we need to win comfortably.

Our small forwards have been poor the last couple of weeks.

Lonie in for Hind. Kent may be lucky as I can't see us bringing in both Lonie and Parker.

Carlisle back in.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Out: Hind and Phillips
In: Lonie and Carlisle.

Hind's been awful for weeks now. Lonie needs to come in. Whoever decided to omit Carlisle made a huge mistake. We are a better defence when he plays. Phillips goes out because we played one too many outside players - last in, first out.

Sinclair lucky. What he did was fine but we cant have a midfield continually only gets under 15 disposals a game.

We need another inside mid but cant work out who to omit - probably a defender since I feel we have too many half backs in the side right now but cant work out which one.

How far away is Dunstan from being ready? We need someone who can help Steele win the ball.

Yabadoo22

All Australian
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Out: hind, Kent, king, Membrey

In: lonie, Parker, roberton, Carlisle

Geary should be dropped but we all know this is his fair well tour to 200 games so won’t happen.

don’t think either lonie or Parker are the answer but can’t keep gifting Kent and hind games.

king needs a rest and Membrey should be omitted. I know Howard doesn’t like playing forward but suck it up and play there for a week to give king a spell.

b: roberton Wilkie Paton
Hb: coffield Carlisle long
C: Sinclair Steele hill
Hf: billings Howard Lonie
F: butler Marshall battle
Foll: Ryder Jones Ross
Int: Geary Clark Phillips Parker

I reckon Clarko will go hard at us. He's very good at planning against opposition sides and we are easy to work out. They beat sides around their level and we are around their level. I think our boys will have already racked the cue now. Would take a miracle to play finals. We will lose this and when finals are completely out of the question we'll play well again, we are mentally weak.

Out: Hind and Phillips
In: Lonie and Carlisle.

Hind's been awful for weeks now. Lonie needs to come in. Whoever decided to omit Carlisle made a huge mistake. We are a better defence when he plays. Phillips goes out because we played one too many outside players - last in, first out.

Sinclair lucky. What he did was fine but we cant have a midfield continually only gets under 15 disposals a game.

We need another inside mid but cant work out who to omit - probably a defender since I feel we have too many half backs in the side right now but cant work out which one.

How far away is Dunstan from being ready? We need someone who can help Steele win the ball.

If the drop Phillips again then he might as well start looking around now. He'll end u being a gun at another club. Looks like one more player we are going to get wrong while playing spuds for years without any form.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
If the drop Phillips again then he might as well start looking around now. He'll end u being a gun at another club. Looks like one more player we are going to get wrong while playing spuds for years without any form.
Who really cares if he looks around. Good for him if he finds another club and become a good player. I hope he does.

We played too many outside wings types last night and I ranked him lower than our other options in the side so he'd be the one I remove.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I reckon Clarko will go hard at us. He's very good at planning against opposition sides and we are easy to work out. They beat sides around their level and we are around their level. I think our boys will have already racked the cue now. Would take a miracle to play finals. We will lose this and when finals are completely out of the question we'll play well again, we are mentally weak.
They are a bottom 4 side mate. We are not at their level.

I know we shouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves but the team need to go out with the mentality of nothing short of a big win is good enough.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
We might have been atrocious last night, but we are multiple levels above where Hawthorn have been playing this year.

bennymc7

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Perfect opportunity to get some momentum back if we're good enough...

Less about our players and more about our lack of system lately imo.

Sort out our I50s and we'll play ourselves back into form.

Is there anyone we haven’t played yet?? Some of our weekly passengers need to be dropped and give someone else a crack.
Also need to reassess the leadership group. Fill it with players who have a good football brain.
Worlds smallest leadership group I hear you ask???

We might have been atrocious last night, but we are multiple levels above where Hawthorn have been playing this year.

Are we though? Look at the lists along side each other, pretty even. They probably have higher top end and worse bottom end we might have some in-between depth.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Are we though? Look at the lists along side each other, pretty even. They probably have higher top end and worse bottom end we might have some in-between depth.
Going off the football both teams have played this year, we are a much better side.

Means nothing if we don't turn up again. But even in my pissed off state, suggesting we aren't noticeably better than Hawthorn this year is laughable.

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

I ‘ll even drive him free of charge

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Not much we can do. No real depth in the area we need depth. Hind obviously out so lonie back. King may or may not rest. Not sure. Carlisle back so I suppose Phillips goes even though he was ok compared to some. The only other change you could consider is bytel in but no idea who for.

We will win unless we have completely lost our confidence. Clarkson is a great coach though. He will have some surprise.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
If you look at the match statistics we should have won. 46 inside 50s to 30. Don't know why people care about some supporters being 'cocky' on the forum before the game, as if that has any impact on the game. Ditto that the odds were even, that has no impact on the game either.

The fact is we dominated most of the game, a game that would have put us into finals, but shot ourselves in the foot with poor entries and poor goal kicking. It's incredibly frustrating as we now have a lot of work to do to make finals and we all just want to taste that finals action again after so long.

The good news is we have an 8 day break and then Hawthorn, who are in woeful form, so we can hopefully get some of our form back against them and then need to win one of GWS or West Coast. We have shown at our best we can beat good sides. But we need to sort out our forward line.

Of the smalls I thought Butler was decent, Kent was poor and if Hind had been injured in the first minute of the game he would have had the same impact. Membrey shot himself in the foot again with woeful goal kicking, should have had 3 goals. King had a frustrating night, I've never seen a player get his hands to so many without completing the mark. Needs to start clunking the easy ones, we can forgive the tough ones but when it's uncontested 20m out take the mark!

What was Battle's role in the game? Was he playing forward? Really disappointing that we weren't able to get him into the game. Ditto Clark who was practically anonymous apart from that inexplicable left foot turnover.

Anyway there needs to be some changes made in the forward line, I would bring in Parker and Lonie, Parker because he's a different size and would give us a different look and Lonie because he's a far superior player to Hind.

Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the game is that we put in the hard work to come back after our bad start, actually got in front in the third and had all the momentum but then just panicked in our entries. From that point on May just grew in confidence and dominated everything. We kicked 3.2 in the entire second half, that is just so poor.

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Clark’s problem is that he tries these dinky little passes that look totally lame when they don’t come off. Last night was a perfect example.
Where the flock are we playing Battle atm? I know he was forward for bits last night.
He seems lost as well. Think he should go forward full time and give King a chop out.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
If you look at the match statistics we should have won. 46 inside 50s to 30. Don't know why people care about some supporters being 'cocky' on the forum before the game, as if that has any impact on the game. Ditto that the odds were even, that has no impact on the game either.

The fact is we dominated most of the game, a game that would have put us into finals, but shot ourselves in the foot with poor entries and poor goal kicking. It's incredibly frustrating as we now have a lot of work to do to make finals and we all just want to taste that finals action again after so long.

The good news is we have an 8 day break and then Hawthorn, who are in woeful form, so we can hopefully get some of our form back against them and then need to win one of GWS or West Coast. We have shown at our best we can beat good sides. But we need to sort out our forward line.

Of the smalls I thought Butler was decent, Kent was poor and if Hind had been injured in the first minute of the game he would have had the same impact. Membrey shot himself in the foot again with woeful goal kicking, should have had 3 goals. King had a frustrating night, I've never seen a player get his hands to so many without completing the mark. Needs to start clunking the easy ones, we can forgive the tough ones but when it's uncontested 20m out take the mark!

What was Battle's role in the game? Was he playing forward? Really disappointing that we weren't able to get him into the game. Ditto Clark who was practically anonymous apart from that inexplicable left foot turnover.

Anyway there needs to be some changes made in the forward line, I would bring in Parker and Lonie, Parker because he's a different size and would give us a different look and Lonie because he's a far superior player to Hind.

Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the game is that we put in the hard work to come back after our bad start, actually got in front in the third and had all the momentum but then just panicked in our entries. From that point on May just grew in confidence and dominated everything. We kicked 3.2 in the entire second half, that is just so poor.
Cocky and odds don’t effect the game obviously. My point when mentioning odds was to show that the lass wasn’t unexpected and to show Melbourne are rated about the same as us. It was never to do with how we would or did play.

also people saying we resorted to richos old style of bombing the ball well that has been rats style all year. The differencenow is the opposition know that and even though you can’t see from tv most likely try and get a spare down there to free up a tall marking player. Last night it was May. Now it’s up to rats to think of a way of stopping that.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
We really miss Gresham and Hannebery...

Sinclair is performing admirably but has his limitations, is it time to put Clark in there full time for a game and see how it looks?
Gresh out has changed our midfield completely. He may be frustrating at times but his ability to just get the ball forward or pop up at important times is something no else one in our side has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back