Review Round 16, 2020 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Nearly headless how can you be nearly headless?

Harry Potter was generally a good series, but the character of Nearly Headless Nick was poorly executed.

Glad to get another win but it's another unconvincing win that demonstrates why we won't have success in finals. All the usual issues were there, the mental lapses, the shoddy disposal, the bombing into the forward line, the keystone cop level screw-ups. We did hit up a few passes going forward which was a rare treat.

Good to see Wines and Boak in form, Lycett was good in the ruck too, DBJ ok.
Rozee and Duursma seem to be having major cases of the 2nd year blues, both been poor all season.
Butters has gone the other way, been terrific after struggling a bit in his first year. We're going to miss him badly.
SPP has gone up a level, having more impact and less of the dumb stuff - can't recall the last stupid attempted fend off.
Too many non-contributors, we can't afford to have 4-6 doing nothing each week, we won't get away with that in finals.
Yeah i think that's loser talk. No modern teams are perfect in this age of equalisation. A good team balance on the same page, a good position (home finals come at me) and a stroke of luck will take you a long way.

We'll be up to our neck in it.

It was a patchy performance. At times we looked ordinary and made some really basic errors, other times we looked quite slick and in total control of the game.

Thought our midfield was the key to winning the game. Wines, Boak and Rockliff were outstanding, they were tough in the contest and handled the ball really cleanly when others from both sides were fumbling.

Liked Hartlett's game. Gray continued his improved form. Butters amazing as always. Amon was solid. Thought Duursma improved as the game went on and started to show signs of his best form.

Motlop and in particular Farrell didn't do a lot for their selections chances. Farrell has been a real disappointment lately after such a great start to the season.

Marshall is also struggling a bit. The reality is that Ladhams is coming back and there's only going to be 1 spot for Marshall, Georgiades and Westhoff - none have particularly strong claims over the others at this point so a performance like that doesn't do Marshall any favours.

Last edited:
Judging by watching heaps of games this season it was a fairly predictable game . North running pretty hard because they didn’t last week. We were made to work but generally we’re a level above .
I thought Lycett did well .Goldy touched us up last year but I reckon Scooter beat him tonight in what was his best game since returning from his sore knee , Boak, Wines and Rockliff , Butters were all good . Duursma tried hard but I want to see his elite running back, I fear he’s scared to push himself in case he pings the hammy again . Amon was good without next level dominating . Charlie was good , playing a bit higher up this week .
Darcy was good again , while the three tall backs were all decent withoutout starring , McKenzie was nearly but not quite taking strong marks and made a couple of kicking errors. While Jonas and Clurey were more nullifying more than intercepting . Burton was Burton , injured . Unfortunately, .
I thought Hartlett was better tonight . Great to see Ollie getting back to his best . And Rocky , he’s definitely not the prettiest footballer , Drew’s his heir apparent but I guess he holds his spot as the general.
Rozee I’d like to see doing a bit more , he’s mostly good But just could do more . .
Robbie was another that was good without being great .
Marshall was ok , we’re definitely better with him in the team .
Sutcliffe doesn’t do much , to tell the truth I do t see him in our best team , I’d prefer Garner or Bergman , even Leinert .
Motlop didn’t do much , again . Kicked a goal , would love to see him in good form in the finals but I don’t think I’ll hold my breath .
Houston was ok although he can be better .
Overall we can’t be too disappointed in a six goal win in this season of shortened games .

Lol, carn. They're 17th, in a dead rubber they were never going to win, in front of a crowd of a few thousand people, and they didn't want to risk one of the handful of good young players they have on their list. If anything their primary objective was to tank. The world doesn't revolve around our club to everyone you know.

Way to take my post WAY too seriously.

I'd have thought the bit at the end about Polec was the giveaway. But there you go.

Yeah i think that's loser talk. No modern teams are perfect in this age of equalisation. A good team balance on the same page, a good position (home finals come at me) and a stroke of luck will take you a long way.

We'll be up to our neck in it.
I think accepting that stuff is loser thinking and why we've been mediocre for so long. Anyway, we'll find out soon enough. I dearly hope I'm wrong - would like nothing more than to end up sounding like a goose next month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way to take my post WAY too seriously.

I'd have thought the bit at the end about Polec was the giveaway. But there you go.

This place messes with my sarcasm detector at times. I've seen far dumber takes than that one posted 100% unironically on here.

Look, the Butters thing. Careless, high contact, medium impact = 1 game.

It’s not going to get 2 games unless graded high impact. It won’t.
A one game rest for Butters won’t hurt him. Hasn’t had a rest all year.

The rules are that a bump to the head is careless minimum.

We’re playing Collingwood in round 18 who will fighting for a top 8 spot. That alone will up the grading to high impact to make up for that second week...

Top of the ladder and people are still whinging. Large parts of this forum have gone to sh*t.

I imagine it something like this.

Let’s say you found out the other half (Kenny) was having an affair (under delivering results) and you found out it wasn’t just a one nighter (one season) but an affair that was going on for a while (multiple seasons). Your other half wants to convince you that they have changed and can make it up to you (sitting top) but you’re still burnt from the past. It’s not just the affair, you notice the kids have been suffering too (players aren’t developing as well as early/past form showed)

A lot of your mates like your other half (current players) and want you to try and work it out. They point out that it’s not all their fault (a lot of players have left but haven’t really set the comp a light) but they’re a better person now for the experience (less talk about how hard the comp is, how great the opposition are and more talk about our expectations and standards we expect).

Do you just let the past go and try to make the most of what’s left in the relationship, or just refuse to be happy until you move on with another partner.

We’re doing a lot better than I thought we would when the season started. We’re in the mix, our best is around the mark but just as easily if we don’t bring it we can easily be out in straight sets, but that’s probably true for 80% of sides that make top 4

Look, the Butters thing. Careless, high contact, medium impact = 1 game.

It’s not going to get 2 games unless graded high impact. It won’t.
A one game rest for Butters won’t hurt him. Hasn’t had a rest all year.

The rules are that a bump to the head is careless minimum.
Ebert and Mayes hit guys who bounced straight back up and continued playing and they got medium impact. There's no way Butters has it limited to just that for a guy that failed to play out the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back