Review Round 16, 2020 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re playing Collingwood in round 18 who will fighting for a top 8 spot. That alone will up the grading to high impact to make up for that second week...
Apart from Simpkin staggering, he seemed okay, and that might work in butters favour. I’d say we would all be happy to accept 1 week, anymore would be excessive.

But who knows with tribunal lotto.

Ryan Burton has almost made himself impossible to select for the rest of the season. You simply can't pick a player for a final who has a track record of getting injured literally every second game he plays and risk being down a man early in a big final. It's disappointing for him but it's impossible to trust his body at this point.
Yep. Put him in cotton wool for the year and take it from there.

Ryan Burton has almost made himself impossible to select for the rest of the season. You simply can't pick a player for a final who has a track record of getting injured literally every second game he plays and risk being down a man early in a big final. It's disappointing for him but it's impossible to trust his body at this point.

This unfortunately is a double whammy because not only do we miss Burton, but it gives Hinkley the opportunity to select Bonner.

Question

Does the AFL still have a limit on the number of games you can be suspended for and then be deregistered

Zac needs to be careful

He’s only young and IIRC already has a couple of suspensions against him

This unfortunately is a double whammy because not only do we miss Burton, but it gives Hinkley the opportunity to select Bonner.

Yeah it's annoying from that perspective. I'd rather he picked Lienert. Even play Sutcliffe there. There's so many options that don't involve Bonner.

Question

Does the AFL still have a limit on the number of games you can be suspended for and then be deregistered

Zac needs to be careful

He’s only young and IIRC already has a couple of suspensions against him

Nah, doesn't apply to the AFL.

I know it’s the longest odds, but could you imagine the romance in Watts into the Back six, then winning the Norm Smith medal!

Yeah it's annoying from that perspective. I'd rather he picked Lienert. Even play Sutcliffe there. There's so many options that don't involve Bonner.

Leinert, Mayes, Sutcliffe should all be in front of Bonner for that spot. Bonner playing that role would be my preference.

Forget Watts and Garner. People pining for them have NFI.

This is my fear too. I’d love if they tried something else, like Bergman or garner.

Lienert is better too

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate he hasn't played a game all season. He's not on the coaches radar. For whatever reason he's not in the frame (I personally believe they think he's too slow).

I know hes not on their radar but you're about as clued up on why that is as i am.

Edit: Wasnt he an emergency this week??

Last edited:
Compare this game to the Richmond v Freo game on Wednesday night. Richmond only lead by a goal at 3QT and had 4 goals total for the game up until that point. They then kicked 4.4 to 1.1 in the final term to run out comfortable 5-goal winners. The difference in our game was that we piled on 6 goals to 1 in the third to put it beyond doubt, hence relaxing a bit in the last (and down a rotation).

You can't praise Richmond for having the ability to muck around in a game before putting the foot down in the last and that being a testament to their confidence and quality to grind out a win when needed, whilst then criticizing us for doing the exact same. Last night was an improvement on the past two weeks and that 6-goal stretch in the third showed we can still score quickly when we get a run on.

I understand not being over the moon with that performance but I'm comfortably satisfied that we got the job done.

Reminds me a bit of Amon when he first came in , just no one on one skills but good when he had the ball .
I don’t know how long we can carry him until he gets the power in his body to be more competitive.
I think the wing is his go butDuursma is in front of him .
Farrell is pretty decent in a contest to be honest. It’s not remotely his issue. The issue is he just goes missing too much and obviously either isn’t working / running hard enough or is running to the wrong places.
I know it was a split second decision, but it would have been better for Zak to have gone for the tackle.
he couldn’t have tackled as Simpkin didn’t have the ball. Dropped it or ran past it or something from memory.
Imagine Bonner coming in and doing the perfectly reasonable job he always does
Bonner has been good with the ball, he provides run from defense.

I actually think he has improved his defense this year. He gets to lots of contests and makes an effort. There’s some good defensive workrate there this year that I didn’t see previously

but what he does wrong is he seems to have these massive lapses in concentration where we get exposed. That sticks out in people’s minds so I fully understand why people view him the way they do. It’s also really energy sapping and demoralising to see those kind of mistakes. I can understand why the club would want to work with his kind of upside but he’s always going to piss off fans with his defensive mistakes being way more obvious than the good work he does.

in any case I think jones and Bergman will fast become first 22 defenders for us maybe as early as 2021 and Mayes / lienert / bonner become depth.

The fact that we are top is an indictment on the rest of the competition.

We usually have a sh*t run of games in the second half of the season. We're just winning most of them in scraps this year. Hopefully we hit our straps at the right time.
Spot on - the other main competitors, Tigers, Lions, W.C. and Cats - are all putting in average efforts. One spurt to kill off the opposition is the name of the game.
Perhaps Kenny and boys are playing it like Fos and Jack would - keep your powder dry! This is just the side show!

Spot on - the other main competitors, Tigers, Lions, W.C. and Cats - are all putting in average efforts. One spurt to kill off the opposition is the name of the game.
Perhaps Kenny and boys are playing it like Fos and Jack would - keep your powder dry! This is just the side show!

Its absolutely about the destination, not the journey at the moment.
These games mean * all. Finals is where it's at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back