Review Round 16, 2020 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Compare this game to the Richmond v Freo game on Wednesday night. Richmond only lead by a goal at 3QT and had 4 goals total for the game up until that point. They then kicked 4.4 to 1.1 in the final term to run out comfortable 5-goal winners. The difference in our game was that we piled on 6 goals to 1 in the third to put it beyond doubt, hence relaxing a bit in the last (and down a rotation).

You can't praise Richmond for having the ability to muck around in a game before putting the foot down in the last and that being a testament to their confidence and quality to grind out a win when needed, whilst then criticizing us for doing the exact same. Last night was an improvement on the past two weeks and that 6-goal stretch in the third showed we can still score quickly when we get a run on.

I understand not being over the moon with that performance but I'm comfortably satisfied that we got the job done.
Indeed, but so many of us have been traumatised by Port in the past. I still have to continually remind myself that Port have only lost 3 games this season, should really be 2, as we shouldn’t have lost to the Saints. Brisbane and Geelong beat us from the outset, but we had a bad last quarter aainst the Saints and their goal kicking accuracy was phenomenal. At the beginning of the season I would never have imagined this being a possibility and being on the top of the ladder since round 1. Port’s destiny is in their hands in the coming weeks, if they can string together 4 quarters of footy anything is possible. There are promising signs, but their needs to be substantial improvement to become a contender. First goal is to win a final, something Port have not achieved since 2014.

Apart from Simpkin staggering, he seemed okay, and that might work in butters favour. I’d say we would all be happy to accept
I felt that last night those kicks were actually pretty effective more often than not.
couple of times he kicked it under the oppo players arms. he does what he has to do.

I think what is unnoticed is how hard he runs to a position to provide an option. Call him a stat padder etc, but he is offering an option when 45m down the line to a contest is the only other alternative. I think it takes a lot of pressure off the kicker as it means there is less chance of the bomb or the panicky attempt to run around the mark etc.

Far different in my view to seagulling around the back of the kicker to pick up the easy handball and send a kick to the same spot the kicker could have gone.

Rocky is doing fine. That’s who he is, Boak is our contest line breaker, Rocky and Wines are our distributors.

what’s great is the form of our key 4 mids
Rocky
Wines
Boak
SPP

with Amon, Duursma, Butters and DBJ providing great contest chop out.

We have strong forwards and a unified defence.
Just some more link up run and carry would be ideal which is the challenge for all teams

Overall fine win. Not perfect but not too bad. Midfield was dominate. Backline efficient and effective. Forward line starting to gel.

Just some thoughts:
- it’s hard to come in and play well straight up as there isn’t a good reserves option at the moment. Faz, Marshall, etc need time to get up to speed
- Queensland will be hot and dewy, we handled those conditions well. Those conditions are not conducive to huge wins.
- Few teams have smashed another team this year, a 6 goal win victory is very satisfactory
- A strong midfield is essential to our game plan and to success in the finals. Our midfield seems to be clicking nicely.
- We don’t necessarily know what is occurring in the background. ?Heavy training loads. ?mental fatigue management

So I say - Enjoy the victory. Enjoy us being on top. We have footy to watch, finals to play and plenty yet to transpire.

Why the Bonner hate in here? Ok, he makes a few blues and there's a perception that he's not hard enough but jeeez he's got a beautiful left leg.

He may not quite be absolute best 22 currently but he's a great option to have when a first choice like Burton gets injured.

Why the Bonner hate in here? Ok, he makes a few blues and there's a perception that he's not hard enough but jeeez he's got a beautiful left leg.

He may not quite be absolute best 22 currently but he's a great option to have when a first choice like Burton gets injured.
It's not just perception, it's reality - he does make blues and he isn't hard enough. There's no physicality in his game at all. He's been around long enough now that he should be doing better than serving up the uncompetitive rubbish that he does. He's the most un-Portlike player in recent memory.
I'd like to see the penny drop with him about what's required to be a Port player, but I'm not seeing any sign of it.

Compare this game to the Richmond v Freo game on Wednesday night. Richmond only lead by a goal at 3QT and had 4 goals total for the game up until that point. They then kicked 4.4 to 1.1 in the final term to run out comfortable 5-goal winners. The difference in our game was that we piled on 6 goals to 1 in the third to put it beyond doubt, hence relaxing a bit in the last (and down a rotation).

You can't praise Richmond for having the ability to muck around in a game before putting the foot down in the last and that being a testament to their confidence and quality to grind out a win when needed, whilst then criticizing us for doing the exact same. Last night was an improvement on the past two weeks and that 6-goal stretch in the third showed we can still score quickly when we get a run on.

I understand not being over the moon with that performance but I'm comfortably satisfied that we got the job done.
Thisnis really true...a fantastic last quarter even if coming from behind trumps a win due to a first or second quarter.

Rocky is doing fine. That’s who he is, Boak is our contest line breaker, Rocky and Wines are our distributors.

Rocky
Wines
Boak
SPP

Just some more link up run and carry would be ideal which is the challenge for all teams
Enter...Polec. 😳🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just perception, it's reality - he does make blues and he isn't hard enough. There's no physicality in his game at all. He's been around long enough now that he should be doing better than serving up the uncompetitive rubbish that he does. He's the most un-Portlike player in recent memory.
I'd like to see the penny drop with him about what's required to be a Port player, but I'm not seeing any sign of it.
He's in the exact same year of his career as Karl Amon was when he asked to he traded for opportunity and got no interest from anyone.

cMcxKY7.jpg

XuaImF1.jpg

I think it is important to note that the impatience is not with the not winning every quarter by five goals and a game by 100 points.

It is for significant parts of quarters we don't touch the ball and get outplayed badly and we look ugly.

Sure it was dewy but that team was seventeeth and we had a scoreless quarter when we need percentage bad.

Not unreasonable to be frustrated by our team in my opinion.

Also how good was Ollie, Boak and Butters

It’s almost as if we are playing against other teams that sometimes get their own patches of momentum.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How the fu** does North Melbourne get away with not performing a concussion test? From the moment they started viewing the vision and ruled out Simpkin based on that you knew their primary objective was to stitch up Butters. Maybe they're pissed off at Port for giving them Polec.

It was great work from their medical team. That is clearly the right thing to do from the vision. The guy was dazed as f**k from the hit. You do not risk players with head knocks like that any more.

The club should argue that the "player couldn't come back on" rule can't apply because a concussion test wasn't done.

No it shouldn’t. Guarantee an extra week of suspension by not taking the early plea when based on all other grading if bumps this year, he was possibly lucky to get “high” impact. Sam Mayes touches a guy who got up and took the free kick and was fine for the rest of the game and that was graded as medium impact. The grading of “high” would still have reasonably been applied even if he passed a concussion test and returned to the field.

I've watched the footage of the Butters incident several times and have frozen the vision at various stages and I am struggling to see what is wrong with his actions.
At normal speed he had little time to respond and seemed to brace for impact. Simpkins head collided with Butters upper shoulder from what I am seeing.
Personally I saw nothing malicious with the the incident.
Thoughts?
Also why were the commentators suggesting the number of weeks Butters was likely to be suspended for throughout the rest of the quarter? I didn't think this was commonplace.

That is as standard a suspension as you will see in the AFL. Bumped and got him high. Bumps are graded careless and not intentional as they are part of the game and not deemed malicious.

Look, the Butters thing. Careless, high contact, medium impact = 1 game.

It’s not going to get 2 games unless graded high impact. It won’t.
A one game rest for Butters won’t hurt him. Hasn’t had a rest all year.

The rules are that a bump to the head is careless minimum.

This season all head high bumps have started with the lowest impact being medium so this was always going to be graded as high or severe given the outcome (player didn’t return to the field). Arguably very lucky it wasn’t graded severe based on what the MRP has been doing all season.

Having a look at the stats this morning, a few things stand out:

Centre clearances were 15-3 in our favour, which against Goldstein and in an area where North haven't been that bad is a really good sign.

Boak: 34 disposals (game-high), 85.3% efficiency (only below Jonas and Clurey), 7 inside 50s (game-high), 485 metres gained (game-high), 12 contested possessions (equal team-high with Ollie), 9-clearances (game-high) and 9 score involvements (second highest in the team behind Robbie). What a gun performance from Trav, another 3 votes in the bag. Such a shame that Lachie Neale exists.

Neale existing is just giving us better odds for Boak’s win. Thank god he exists!

Rocky
Wines
Boak
SPP

Gray has had great patches in midfield the last few weeks too. We have a number of players to rotate through the middle that can all impact. Exciting times!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back