Review Round 16, 2020 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Supposedly 592 fans at Carrara last night. 500 of them must have been Port fans based on the noise.

Mate he hasn't played a game all season. He's not on the coaches radar. For whatever reason he's not in the frame (I personally believe they think he's too slow).
Why did they draft him? Should have drafted another back flanker that turns the ball over and can't defend if that's what they are after.

This season all head high bumps have started with the lowest impact being medium so this was always going to be graded as high or severe given the outcome (player didn’t return to the field).
Nope.

The week that Shiel, Long and Ebert were all suspended there were two bumps (Gary Rohan and Marlion Pickett) that both received low impact gradings, despite both of them causing the victim to have to leave the ground for medical assessment.

Port have had two bumps that fit the available definition of low impact that have were raised to medium impact for "reasons".

I feel like Clurey has played some really nice football since getting spanked by Hawkins a few weeks ago. Props to him for bouncing back.

While the amount of vitriol by some towards Bonner during game day borders on ridiculous, at best he’s been just ok and that’s why he’s in and out of the team. From what I’ve seen, Garner offers more of what I prefer from a Port player.

Bonner is not serviceable, he is not even remotely a best 22 player. He's ******* trash. Can't even compete for the footy which is the bare minimum. He's absolutely piss weak and he's every bit as soft as any Lonie was. I want him out of this club.

Pisses me off that he takes the spot of someone else who you didn't have to sit there every single game and have at bare minimum one moment where you say "that was weak as piss"

In the game day thread before lunch time I wrote I'd like to see us win 16 goals to 4 but I expect it to be 12 goals to 7 type result. I got what I expected I suppose.

But we did a bit better than Bon Jovi and got more than halfway there in half a game. 1st quarter 4 goals to 1 it was looking good. 3rd quarter a slow 5 minutes after Charlie's great goal, then we finally put pedal to the metal.

So 10.4 vs 3.4 in Q1+Q3 suggests we are good enough to play premiership style football. Last week I said I want to see us improve by 20% each week. It think we achieved that overall but still bloody frustrating.

It was an improvement over the best 2 quarters we produced against Sydney Q1+Q2 was 8.3 vs 3.1, but its not a consistent 4 quarter footy effort yet.

The Hawthorn game the best 2 quarters it was Q2+Q4 with the wind 6.6 vs 2.1

We were terrible in the 2nd quarter when they actually applied some decent pressure, we fumbled and bumbled again and the last quarter we went into preservation mode, a bit of fancy footy, miss a couple of straight forward set shots, showboating a few times, kicking it backwards and 60 metres across the ground for no good reason except to kill the clock a bit and then transfer the ball back to the same spot.

Its ******* frustrating to watch when you don't see the other big boys do that and the humidity argument doesn't seem to worry them to the same extent as it does us.

Our mid field continues to win enough ball to win games and play that forward territory team game, but we don't deliver enough on the scoreboard to get value for effort and we leave it open for the oppo and dodgy umpiring to change the result. Partly because of delivery and partly because of the dog's breakfast way we have our forward line set up.

I'ts why I say load up our forward line with Georgiades, Marshall Dixon and Ladhams along with Gray, Butters and Rozee. You know what we will get with our backs, and that they will struggle against the really tall forward sides. You know what we will get from our midfield and unless they get really smashed like against Geelong or one quarter of each of Brisbane and St Kilda game, they will give us enough opportunities to win. Put as much fire power as we have in our forward line and spook the oppo.

Some more comparisons in the last 3 games from our dominate 2 quarters of each game.

North Centre clearances 15 v 3, All clearances 38 v 23
.............- Q1+Q3 Cclr 10 v 2, Aclr 18 v 12
Sydney Centre clearances 12 v 6 All clearances 46 v 26
....................- Q1+Q2 Cclr 9v 3, Aclr 29 v 11
Hawks Centre clearances 10 v 7, All clearances 35 v 26
..................- Q2+Q4 Cclr 5 v 4, Aclr 19 v 12

So I see clear improvement when we get on top of the oppo. We just don't bury them to put a big enough gap in them to kill them off and also cut out the effect of stupid umpiring decisions that go against us, which keep the oppo in it as well. We didn't give up as many stupid and easy goals in out backlines as the previous 2 weeks IMO, which was an improvement.

In the quarters opposite to the ones we have dominated, we have reduced what the oppo score over 3 weeks.
North Q2+Q4 Port kicked 1.7 v 3.2
Sydney Q3+Q4 3.4 v 4.4
Hawks Q1+Q3 3.8 v 7.3

So we have reduced the damage in our bad quarters. that's a good sign.

In 2015 we lost games to the cellar dwellers. In 2017 we smashed them. This year we are somewhere in between.

It seems to be the Hinkley way - do enough to secure the next contract - do enough to win the game don't extend yourself too much. A team takes on the persona of its coach. We aren't ruthless killers but we are good enough at the moment to keep winning. Just like Hinkley.

Let's hope in good conditions against Essendon we don't just dominate 2 quarters but we dominate 3. You know if we dominate the first 3 we will cruise in the the last quarter, keep guys in shape for finals type stuff.

Our mid field might not be the best going around, but its purring at the moment. I gave my votes to Boak, Wines, Rocky and Lycett in that order as IMO they had the biggest influence on the game. Boak and Wines are in career best form the last month or so.

We have plenty of options to go thru the midfield. They just have to bring their A grade game for 4 quarters come finals time to match it with the best - Boak, Wines, Rocky, Gray, Butters, Rozee, Houston, Amon, Duursma and Ebo when he is playing, gives us a decent 10 man rotation.

We are gonna miss the enthusiasm and skill and drive of Butters, but let's hope the guys coming in cover some of it.

Still carrying a few too many passengers on the 2020 train, which we should kick off at the next station, but Ken doesn't have that ruthless streak to do it after we win by a 6 goal margin.

How good was SPP's kicks inside 50. Just lowered the eyes and didnt blast away as he did earlier in his career. Surely our most improved player
Boak's dinky kick to goal in the 3rd as well as plenty of other good kicks. Ollie's purple patch and slotting goals. There was lots to like about our structure and disposal.

We looked more organised more often and sheesh Amon has turned into a very valuable player. Chin up guys we're building

I'ts why I say load up our forward line with Georgiades, Marshall Dixon and Ladhams along with Gray, Butters and Rozee. You know what we will get with our backs, and that they will struggle against the really tall forward sides.
Sounds like trying to win the game.
I thought for the most part we did this vs Richmond and they were a bit shakey everytime we got it into our F50 quickly enough. We definitely have to at least break even in the midfield otherwise the Geelong game scenario tends to happen. I also feel part of the reason we don't seem to go for the kill is we can't actually kill. We don't finish off the work of dominating inside 50s whether it's taking the contested mark, making a clean entry or kicking the ******* goal. It's like we miss too often to kill off the oppostion instead of nailing our chances which creates a snowball affect in momentum and confidence.
Exhibit A Kane Farrell missing in the last qtr on Sat. Or whoever the usual culprits are. I watched some of the Geelong game and Hawkins was kicking them from everywhere in the first half which really crushed the Bombers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Champion Data tables

Port's Xscore 79 v actual 78. North's Xscore 41 v actual 42.

Lycett got 7 hit outs to advantage vs Goldstein's 5 and all up 8 v 5.

Mark's I50 North 10 for 4.2, Port 11 for 6.2 - other 3 were
DBJ took mark just inside 50 gave handball to Burton who kicked a point
Butters passed to Wines who marked and goaled
Amon marked just inside 50m went for a pass to Charlie and stuffed it up.

Frees I50 North 1 for 1.0, Port 4 for 2.1. SPP took a mark just inside 50 and then Marshall got a holding free against his north opponent, and SPP got 50m and kicked a goal from the goal line and I have included it in 6.2 above.

1599458910263.png

1599458938005.png

Last edited:
I''ve had a gut-full of Rockliff's fecking dinky dribble kick passes.
YES totally agree with this! At one point in second quarter a stranger to AFL would be forgiven for believing the rules were to kick the ball into the ground and not the air

He was an emergency so he is at least on the radar.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would assume it's too late to try Garner or Watts so close to finals. Agree if they were serious about these options would have tried earlier.

Bonner burns the ball too often- sometimes he finds himself inside from a run off half back and the just has nfi what he is doing. In less humid conditions and with some space to execute he is a good kick.

Lienert puts his body around the ball well and he can kick with penetration apart from that he is not outstanding but probably better in Qld conditions.

I don't know what the deal is with Sutcliffe. Maybe he tags people in finals ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back