Review Round 16, 2021 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We have 6 players averaging more than a goal a game. 5 players have kicked more than 20 goals already.

would think that’s a first for the lions

Can't comment on the speed to 20 goals, but we've had a few complete seasons with more players averaging a goal a game:
Wouldn't mind this year following a similar form line to the first two (preferably 2001 though)...

I simply made the point that he was of more value to the side in his M/F role than as a projected PERMANENT forward role for which he was less suited for the many reasons that I outlined.

You attacked that viewpoint the reason being goals scored and goal assists which I debunked and your recent posts have morphed into a personal attack on me , my 'very narrow' vein on footy , flatten opponents , whatever the previous jibe was , followed up by your now twisting the argument to 'I can't see a role for someone to apply elite pressure etc..' something I never said nor inferred.

You were the one that first based your arguments around goal assists.

I simply made a point with reasons and countered yours.

I don't think your observations about my views on footy ,which btw are totally in your head , are at all accurate . But it appears that's a point you felt a need to make because you lost the first argument.

The transition to the forward line is around others taking his spot. Which we are seeing.

The role he would play is different to what Daniher, Hipwood, McStay, Linc and Charlie does. It compliments them.

Coming into the year the plan was for him to play 80-90% time forward. This was reduced with Rayner's injury. This was further reduced by Linc and Charlie being unable to increase their time in the midfield and then again with Neale and Berry's injuries.

We've also seen Bailey arriving as a first string midfielder.

Going forward we have Lyons and Neale as full time on ballers, Robbo and JBerry as full time wingers, Bailey and Clug rotating between on ball, wing and half forward and then Dev and Zorko rotating between forward and midfield (and later Rayner when he returns)

Next year we play these 9 plus Oscar plus the 5 forwards mentioned above, 3 of Andrews, Gardiner, Adams, Payne and Lester and 4 of Rich, Starcevich, Birchall, Madden, Answerth and Ah Chee. With Matho, Kiddy, TBerry, Prior, etc. as depth smalls

Zorkos strengths this year has been his pressure (will be handy as a forward too) and his finishing as that last kick inside 50 (can be utilised forward as well) with bursts on the ball

The transition to the forward line is around others taking his spot. Which we are seeing.

The role he would play is different to what Daniher, Hipwood, McStay, Linc and Charlie does. It compliments them.

Coming into the year the plan was for him to play 80-90% time forward. This was reduced with Rayner's injury. This was further reduced by Linc and Charlie being unable to increase their time in the midfield and then again with Neale and Berry's injuries.

We've also seen Bailey arriving as a first string midfielder.

Going forward we have Lyons and Neale as full time on ballers, Robbo and JBerry as full time wingers, Bailey and Clug rotating between on ball, wing and half forward and then Dev and Zorko rotating between forward and midfield (and later Rayner when he returns)

Zorkos strengths this year has been his pressure (will be handy as a forward too) and his finishing as that last kick inside 50 (can be utilised forward as well) with bursts on the ball
That's all fine.

The first post I made was the proposition that Zorko would end up playing as a permanent forward , something I had doubts about ever occurring. For the reasons I put then and in the next post. We now have good options as mostly permanent small forwards and he's valuable wherever he is.

I don't think anything you just put up now contradicts that. Some of the work he's done in the forward half has been good ,as it is all over the field. And in centre clearances.

The way he's going I think he finishes his career in his current role unless we get someone better step up in the M/F (unlikely) and/or injuries require a reshuffle.

That's all fine.

The first post I made was the proposition that Zorko would end up playing as a permanent forward , something I had doubts about ever occurring. For the reasons I put then and in the next post. We now have good options as mostly permanent small forwards and he's valuable wherever he is.

I don't think anything you just put up now contradicts that. Some of the work he's done in the forward half has been good ,as it is all over the field. And in centre clearances.

The way he's going I think he finishes his career in his current role unless we get someone better step up in the M/F (unlikely) and/or injuries require a reshuffle.

He was always going to spend some midfield time. Nobody expected him to play Charlie's role or push Linc out of the forward line. He'll just be a forward and second string midfielder which is what he does now when we've got a full team.

But he's going to be a very valuable forward when he does play there

Knew the minute I posted it I was probably wrong

Honestly, it surprised me that most of those only got there on technicalities, e.g. Rischitelli and Adcock scoring a couple of goals each in 1 and 2 games respectively, or Martin McKinnon kicking 3.4 in a game to get him to four goals over four game. 2001 is the only time we've definitely been better on that metric without fudging.

He was always going to spend some midfield time. Nobody expected him to play Charlie's role or push Linc out of the forward line. He'll just be a forward and second string midfielder which is what he does now when we've got a full team.

But he's going to be a very valuable forward when he does play there
Well that might be right.

But he's getting nearer the end ,33 next season , and spending more M/F time than forward. And other players emerge , Rayner comes back ,unlikely to be spending much M/F time after the knee reconstruct, who knows whether we keep our full M/F complement injury free , maybe also unlikely. Lots of unknowns.

I think I'm done on this . But I made the point I wanted to make . Thanks for your observations.

who?!?

I know who, just don't care enough to notice

There are still crowd restrictions of 50% up to 25k at all victorian games - it was thought they'd go to 85% this week but gov held off given the situation in other states.

Of course, the Tiges still would have had a crowd of under 10k so not sure the extra capacity would matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be pretty happy if I was a crows fan. They were competitive, which is what you want as a first step when coming off the bottom of the ladder.

5 years ago, we would have lost that game. 2 years ago, we probably just get over the line, or have an 'honourable loss'. Now, we flex our muscle and put them to the sword. Honestly, it wasn't the greatest game to watch, but it was Lions footy. Match them with the hard stuff, minimise the damage, and when you get your run you do maximum damage.

Mature performance by a team that is getting better each week. And we are missing 4 best 22 players from this side still.

With the benefit of watching Lyons closely, what he does is force teammates to match his hard-ball gets, in and under attack, and hard running. No cheap way.

And as I often remark, soto voce but nevertheless to the consternation of my wife while wandering the wilds of the local shopping mall, it's all free!!! Free I tell you!!!!

As expected four players are dominating the votes - is this the biggest discrepancy between 4th and 5th vote numbers? 96 for Lyons with the next best 39 for Robbo

Coaches votes:

Adelaide Crows vs Brisbane Lions

VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)

Marcus Adams (BL)
Zac Bailey (BL)
Lincoln McCarthy (BL)
Jarryd Lyons (BL)
Rory Laird (ADEL)
Jordon Butts (ADEL)

Fagan
5 - Adams
4 - Lyons