Preview Round 16, 2021: Collingwood v St.Kilda - MCG, Sunday 4th July, 3:20PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Magpies

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 41 82.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easily the most disappointing loss of the season.
The non efforts v Essendon, Dogs and R5 Richmond were just horror shows, v Adelaide we were 6 goals up and missed two in front before choking.

As bad as v North and Freo last season.

Kent is a spud Melb mates still laugh when I mention he’s in our list
We need to turn it over these guys are taking us nowhere

Our options with Billings coming back were pretty much:

-Long back to defence (after showing something worth persisting with up forward last week) and Leo back out of the team (after likewise showing something worth persisting with last week), or
-Long out of the team, or
-Billings back to the wing, Long to stay put, Leo to stay put and Josh out of the team (after likewise showing something worth persisting with last week).

None of those are ideal or appealing options from where I’m sitting, and that’s actually a good thing, as that’s exactly what happens when your team goes well and selection headaches are created.

Someone was going to be without a chair when the music stopped and they came up with the best 22 and structure that they thought would help us win this game and on this occasion it was Josh.

Someone was going to be stiff, and you probably have to ask the question of how much we need 6 ruckmen and/or marking targets up forward (or on the wing), especially if rain is forecast.

It sucks that it’s had to come at the expense of Battle- especially off the back of his best game in ages- but I for one am glad we’ve given Long another game up forward and Leo another game down back.

Probably neither of which would have happened had we retained Josh.

Its’s a good problem to have. Not having enough spots in the team for all the guys we’d really like to have out there.
Option 5. Drop Wood who played worse than Battle and is a ring in list clogger who puts in 1 good game a year, then play Battle as third tall.

Bing looked pumped and emotional when he kicked the sealer against the tigers i doubt it is a given he comes to us

i don’t think one has anything to do with the other.
He played a damn good game and the team caused a huge upset, of course he’d be pumped.

Doesnt mean he’s so married to the team emotionally that if he got the chance to come home and play with his brother for the team he grew up supporting, he wouldn’t come.

Ah yes. Compare Goddard's career stats not his first 50 games that'll show them, that's not disingenuous at all.
No the comparison is at the same age.

The only thing that is disingenuous is to compare a No 1 pick who was clearly a star with a Pick 39 who ATM (despite what people on here may say) isn't one.

But that basically is my point.

Our options with Billings coming back were pretty much:

-Long back to defence (after showing something worth persisting with up forward last week) and Leo back out of the team (after likewise showing something worth persisting with last week), or
-Long out of the team, or
-Billings back to the wing, Long to stay put, Leo to stay put and Josh out of the team (after likewise showing something worth persisting with last week).

None of those are ideal or appealing options from where I’m sitting, and that’s actually a good thing, as that’s exactly what happens when your team goes well and selection headaches are created.

Someone was going to be without a chair when the music stopped and they came up with the best 22 and structure that they thought would help us win this game and on this occasion it was Josh.

Someone was going to be stiff, and you probably have to ask the question of how much we need 6 ruckmen and/or marking targets up forward (or on the wing), especially if rain is forecast.

It sucks that it’s had to come at the expense of Battle- especially off the back of his best game in ages- but I for one am glad we’ve given Long another game up forward and Leo another game down back.

Probably neither of which would have happened had we retained Josh.

Its’s a good problem to have. Not having enough spots in the team for all the guys we’d really like to have out there.

Yep got to reward Long for his stelar season. ;)

Bing looked pumped and emotional when he kicked the sealer against the tigers i doubt it is a given he comes to us

True, those kind of wins bond a team.

The AFL official player ratings are a joke.

Saying that, I thought he played well.

All systems rate different acts in uneven ways. Tackles and hit-outs are often given huge points. Goals assists are highly rated but then small acts are ignored. You can use it as a guide but he was nowhere near BOG. Dunstan would have been given a serious penalty for his poor disposal too. Dunny easily BOG and Steele not far behind.

You asked why does Max get the time to understand and learn his position but Battle doesnt.

And it is likely because Billings is ready to come back in and will take the wing spot back from Battle while there isnt a key forward an Sandy playing well enough to take Max's spot in the best 22 away from him.
Oh ok, I thought you were meaning to say Battle is out of the side because there's no forward playing bad enough to be out and I was arguing that we should try to make it work regardless. Anyway carry on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilkie will be needed for one of Cameron or Cox.

Maybe do what we did with Dusty? Dunstan on him when he plays mid and Webster on him up forward.
Highmore played a bit on Martin too

I'm going to hold judgement on this Battle decision. It seems a bad decision. I'd have kept him in myself & given Billings another week off. However, other than last week...he has been pretty average (along with others)
If we lose...I'm going to get on the "Sack the coaching department, and admin bandwagon."
If not, then I'll stick with "My fair weather friend," show.
At the moment, I don't think he's a huge out for us...a little unfair maybe...but not wholly without merit (Butler and Hill others to need cold water poured on them)

I don't have a problem with Battle being tested before the Brisbane game.

My bigger fear is that we're pushing him out and worse, that we'll offer him as steak knives in a deal for Bing.

If you’re planning on offering him as steak knives doesn’t it make sense that you play him as much as possible so that other teams see what he has to offer? You don’t necessarily drop him after his best game for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back