Autopsy Round 16, 2021: Hawks fall over against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Our biggest issue with our current midfield is having a competent tap ruckman/first use and the lack of genuine pace and skill with our outside midfielders such as Howe, Moore, Phillips and Shiels. Replacing Cegs and Big Boy with Reeves will help with first use and replacing the above 4 with the likes of Day, Downie, Bramble, Mitchell and Sinn/Callaghan makes our midfield group so much more dynamic. More Scrimshaw and Wingard in the midfield rotations helps too.

Don't know if it's been mentioned.
Nash had 8 disp. 4 of which were clearances. Why not give him a run in the centre square? Crazy non decision from clarko there.

We have been screaming for a big bodied midfielder with pace and power for the last 10 years (young Burger chipped in at the most crucial parts but couldn't ever be expected to play the role full time). We have one on our list just begging for a shot and it takes us three quarters of getting spanked to give him a run.

Needs to play as a mid for the rest of the season and see if he can make the cut.

I have been critical of Nash in the past and to be honest have seen nothing that suggests he will make it as an AFL player

BUT...

If we are bringing him into the team based on form in a certain position then play him in that position ffs.

All you do is kill a players confidence doing otherwise.
100%. They say don’t get beaten by what you know, well we all know Nash can’t play forward to save himself, so what does Clarko do, he puts him forward again. Playing well in the middle and should have played middle in this game.

A Day after the game and I just think that may of been the worst display of coaching I have seen all year, so many issues.

Players were flat from the opening bounce . Coach’s looked really flat in the box and clarko looked beaten after the game .

I thought Port were very average to be honest and still took the pi55.

The issue is purely of balance

We need to strengthen the group with another runner who can damage on the outside, maybe even two.

Remembering that not so long ago we had Hendo, Smith and Scully all streaming the length of the ground, so that Tom and JOM could hand off to someone who was more creative.

The big question is whether we add to the current group of inside mids, and ask them to distribute to the outside runners(Bramble, Saunders, Seamus, Downie) once more, or we change one or more of them out completely for someone who can play both inside and out.
Exactly, I think our mids in Omeara, Mitch and Worps are in 2 minds about covering inside and outside. All 3 are midfield bulls and Omeara can play outside as well. We need another couple of elite outside ball users who they can distribute to. The 3 of them are class players but are expected to do too much as you can see by Omeara trying to bust through multiple tackles. They just need a chop out, and some classy outside players will be huge.

Players were flat from the opening bounce . Coach’s looked really flat in the box and clarko looked beaten after the game .

I thought Port were very average to be honest and still took the pi55.
Parts of the 1st and most of the second looked like a div 3 footy side - the fact nothing was done/changed in that quarter to me is only two options full blown tank or everyone and particularly coach just couldn’t be arsed (Both options in Burgoynes 400 are crap)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Day after the game and I just think that may of been the worst display of coaching I have seen all year, so many issues.
Apart from playing Nash midfield (despite him being moved to negate Aliir and actually did a half decent job I thought), what coaching moves were so poor?

I know people like to whinge but this was one of the poorest hawks team I’ve seen on paper in years. I has us down for a few goal loss and almost every expert did too. Plus we were clearly flat which may have been just a mental thing.

Last edited:
Conor Nash has had more Bigfooty mentions over the past 24 hours than he has stats over the past 4 years combined.
Which says a lot(as always), because he is the least of our worries.

15 other players deserve critiquing before Nash.

He's definitely not the only one.

The likes of Hobbs, Callaghan and many others would be an improvement.
Yes, but Horne looks like he could well be a generational player.

Last week we were trying to mark everything in the backline if they had a free run of it. This week the 1st quarter was full of spoils even when in the front at the marking contest. Seemed like the whole team had a negative mindset
CJ had an opportunity in the first flying across the pack to basically take an uncontested mark. He decided to channel his inner Frawley.

CJ had an opportunity in the first flying across the pack to basically take an uncontested mark. He decided to channel his inner Frawley.
We noticed that too , there were a few other times early too.
Looked like nerves of the occasion and being unsure .

Last week for the most part we flew and marked with conviction

Remove this Banner Ad

Back