Review Round 16 2021 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

TBF Richmond did the guard of honour for Kane Cornes' 300 as well.

I also believe Peter Burgoyne, Lade and Chad Cornes got a guard of honour in their last games for us. We got blown out and it was basically an empty stadium.

Peter and Lade retired when we lost to North by a kick when Krak gave away a 50m with 30 seconds left. But yes, was an empty stadium.

Chad retired when we got abused by Collingwood by a million points

Why? It was a big moment in football and, unlike some nerds on a football forum holding a grudge, players on both teams respect him. He's also a former player who we potentially don't have a premiership without. Tom Jonas handing him a boomerang clearly didn't effect our ability to play nor did Trav helping chair him off the ground.

fu** with some of the comments in here you would think AFL players are all supposed to be nothing but emotionless robots.

Pretty much. I loved Burgoyne, still love him and I would've bailed if I was in his shoes too. His career would've probably ended during the Primus era.
I also thoroughly disliked Chocco as a coach (especially come finals time) and there is very very good reasons another club hasn't given him the senior role.

The context being that apart from Gold Coast, we have the worst record against top-4 teams over the past 5 or 6 years.

Call me crazy, or a black hat wearer, but that’s probably not ideal considering.
I’d love Ken to be asked that after a loss and at our agm

very different players, playing the game at a different time.

everything about boak screams that he will walk out the game when he’s ready. Don’t think games played concerns him one little bit.

boaks entire game is built around insane workrate and gut running. There’s no way he’s got 4 years of that left at a level boak would be happy to pass off as acceptable.
When he is done with the bash and crash as a full time mid we should try him in the high half forward role that might suit his running capacity and prolong his career.

Read the time stamp. It says 9.05pm Vic rime. Game started 7.40pm Vic rime. The 3rd quarter we were garbage.

So you have written us off. Riley Bonner will not make our best 22 so why is he suddenly the yardstick? There is fair way to go yet and we get some players back and anything can happen. When we start losing to teams we should beat I will start to worry.

Last edited:
So you have written us off.
No but its how I felt immediatly after the match ended after playing rubbish football producing nothing for 1.5 quarter. What did we kick, 2 points in almost 30 minutes of game time?. Ive seen it too many times before to not have thoughts like that.

You then say an hour or so after the game, ok we will improve if we get our players back, but why even put up such a poor performance after dominating? There is a mental weakness there that leaves doubts. We make dumb errors when we try and coast.

Last edited:
Umps getting way too late in calling play on with the STAND rule. At one point last night I pointed out to my kids this when Lycett was standing a mark & the ump didn’t call play on at all as the hawthorn player just waltzed past him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what type of crashes do you want to see? human flesh stuff or carbon fibre stuff?
Knee in spleen and then eating intestines.

Dawn of the Dead Zac Snyder edition, opening sequence was good, The Black summer airfield sequence better, and better than most Bourne type film long action sequences.

F1 is a snorefest. So yeah, ruptured livers and intestines please

That is all

Oh. last night was a game where if you only watched it on TV, you only saw half of it. For various reasons including the usual ones, but I think we were mixing things up a little. plus there was a lot of context there. the weather, zero atmosphere, burgoyem, unbeatable lead, 5 day turn around, Covid preparation , trying switches with a different full back who was just too slow to move it on fast enough (aliir isn't that guy we've found out). We also did a completely different kick in mode by going shorter and to the flank rather than to TJ running 30 metres to kick it to an aliir/ Dixon pack just outside of the centre square around 80 metres out.

so short and wide kick ins, then the switch. we tried that in the 3rd but couldn't move it on fast enough - but the players were dwfinitely free 50 metres out on the open wings if we could. full credit to the hawthirn forwards to crowd the first switch recipient because we wpuod have been out nicely. that explained 3 of their nothing goals

I'd expect a different intensity next game.

Also our off the ball workrate was exceptional. cant he faulted. lycett was gassed by half time the ground he covered. even motlop at full back. motlop tried to come off 3 times in the 3rd they kept sending him back people were so puffed

Last edited:
When we start losing to teams we should beat I will start to worry.

That’s the million dollar crux, for mine.

Rather than judging the baseline against the Hawks, Suns, Roos and Crows, we should at least be halving the ledger against the likes of Geelong, Brisbane, West Coast and Western Bulldogs.

That’s the true sign of progress that most would agree on.

Pretty much. I loved Burgoyne, still love him and I would've bailed if I was in his shoes too. His career would've probably ended during the Primus era.
I also thoroughly disliked Chocco as a coach (especially come finals time) and there is very very good reasons another club hasn't given him the senior role.
I think Choco was too open for his love of some players Eg Shaun, so when Shaun was overlooked he properly felt very undervalued. We can call it sooks whatever but I’d guess the coach didn’t help

E
Some people need evidence as opposed to blind optimism, did you pop out of a flower recently or miss the last umpteen years?
OK. We are one win off of top spot while in the third year of a 'rebound on the go'. We have got to this point while battling consistent injuries including missing two of our most important players (Butters, Duursma) for a majority of the season. With those two returning and Rozee coming into form we can head into finals with one of the most impressive young trios of players in the AFL. Combine that with the successful additions of Allir and Fantasia and we are in a great position to win the premiership this year. From a growth perspective, we have debuted a number of promising young players this season with Bergman and Jones already establishing themselves as members of our best 22. With all the players aforementioned, combined with the core middle group of Wines, Powell Pepper, Drew, DBJ, Houston, Clurey, Marshall and Amon we are in a great position to challenge for the next 3-4 premierships. Is that enough evidence? For contrast I'll outline the 'realist' argument: "We aren't winning every game by 10 goals. We didn't win the premiership last year. Hinkley is a mug. Sack him."

I think Choco was too open for his love of some players Eg Shaun, so when Shaun was overlooked he properly felt very undervalued. We can call it sooks whatever but I’d guess the coach didn’t help
He wasn't just overlooked though. Alot of promises were made to Shaun, not just by Williams either. When the board went against the recommendation of Williams the Burgoyne's felt betrayed for a myriad of reasons. All I will say is the Port hierarchy changed tack about 6 years ago and there's been alot of dirt to bury. Also Shaun is like one of a dozen guys in the AFL who hasn't cheated on his wife, so pretty much a legend.

No but its how I felt immediatly after the match ended after playing rubbish football producing nothing for 1.5 quarter. What did we kick, 2 points in almost 30 minutes of game time?. Ive seen it too many times before to not have thoughts like that.

You then say an hour or so after the game, ok we will improve if we get our players back, but why even put up such a poor performance after dominating? There is a mental weakness there that leaves doubts. We make dumb errors when we try and coast.

Fair enough emotions can run high after a game. These days I avoid posting too much immediately after the game hence my comments were posted the next day but I appreciate your fire in the belly reaction. You are right in one respect as 2 points in 40 minutes is not Premiership stuff but we are minus several good players. We get Butters back in the midfield, Clurey in the defence plus Duursma and Gray up forward and it should make a difference.

As for Rohan Connolly we could be missing 15 first choice players and a guy like Rohan Connolly would not even know they were missing. For me agreeing with these Victorian hacks goes against the grain. Out of interest this is what Rohan Connolly had to say about our Premiership chances last Wednesday...

1625370606944.png

Last week Connolly was telling the world that any team in the top 8 could win the flag, now after 5 minutes of footy on the following weekend Port are suddenly eliminated from the race.

I would gladly trade our wins and take the loss v Hawthorn, Adelaide, Richmond etc. for that against Bulldogs, Geelong, Brisbane.

I don't know why someone wouldn't do that. Wins against good sides >>> Wins against bad sides.
Why not have both?

I feel he was a very divisive coach towards people under and around him. I am of the genuine belief that the list we had from 01 - 04 was better than Brisbane's and it was pissed up the wall by some extremely lackluster match day coaching and preparation when it mattered. 07 was simply inexcusable as well.

I've simmered on the Burgoyne stuff I think we went too far with the gifts on field (could've been done behind closed doors) & the joint chair off thing although I sense there's a touch of keeping the whole Burgoyne family onside in it all.

The chair-off thing makes sense. I get that one. It's part of football.

The gift thing was a bit awkward. I'm sure they did their homework on cultural appropriateness but it did seem a little weird to me to see a boomerang given as a gift. Shaun looked a little surprised as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back