Review Round 16 2021 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

It absolutely would.

Brisbane made a guard of honour for Brent Harvey's 400th. St Kilda made one for his most games played record. They both have less to do with him than we do with Shaun.

I guarantee if another major milestone game happens with two of that players former clubs they make the same song and dance about it.

You mean like the one we did for Glen Archer and then copped a torrent of abuse from him, North Melbourne and Victorian media about our 'poor sportsmanship'?

Leading up to the game you would have thought Hawthorne were in red Hot form. What a bunch of wind from some of their supporters

They had beaten Sydney and GWS and only just lost to Essendon since the bye. All their key metrics were league leading in that run(time in forward half, score from turnover, score against).

Add in a major milestone they were as up and about as they have been in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They had beaten Sydney and GWS and only just lost to Essendon since the bye. All their key metrics were league leading in that run(time in forward half, score from turnover, score against).

Add in a major milestone they were as up and about as they have been in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, fair enough. I guess we have been like that in as a club when we were struggling. To be honest, I felt the Sydney game was not the catalyse behind our better form but just a deliberate journey back to our forward press game and ferocious tackling. A couple of weeks ago and the Hawks probably would have beaten us...

TBF Richmond did the guard of honour for Kane Cornes' 300 as well.

I also believe Peter Burgoyne, Lade and Chad Cornes got a guard of honour in their last games for us. We got blown out and it was basically an empty stadium.

I don't have any problem with the guard of honor. It obviously looks worse when you lose, but it's the least a club can do. I mean, it's not like the old days when opposition players hated and barely knew each other on a social level. These days they mostly all seem to be pretty good friends.

You mean like the one we did for Glen Archer and then copped a torrent of abuse from him, North Melbourne and Victorian media about our 'poor sportsmanship'?

I know nothing about this but it seems a nice, relevant-to-2021 reference. Did the opposition make a guard of honour for Russell Ebert's 400th? 😉

I don't have any problem with the guard of honor. It obviously looks worse when you lose, but it's the least a club can do. I mean, it's not like the old days when opposition players hated and barely knew each other on a social level. These days they mostly all seem to be pretty good friends.

Yup it's a hard truth for fans to accept. Professional footy players will never match the passion of fans and supporters, for most of them it's just a job. There are exceptions like Brad Ebert but that was ingrained in him from birth.

Fletcher was nursed to his 400 by getting weekly jobs on the oppositions weediest noodle armed forward.

Absolutely. For the last few years there they'd put him on the least damaging opposition forward.

Boomer was still going strong.

dunno if it's sacrilegious to say but wanganeen was also managed to 300 when he was well and truly cooked

Yup it's a hard truth for fans to accept. Professional footy players will never match the passion of fans and supporters, for most of them it's just a job. There are exceptions like Brad Ebert but that was ingrained in him from birth.

It's not that they don't love their club, they do generally, unless you play for Adelaide. It's more that a lot of them came through junior ranks and rep teams together.

Absolutely. For the last few years there they'd put him on the least damaging opposition forward.

Boomer was still going strong.

dunno if it's sacrilegious to say but wanganeen was also managed to 300 when he was well and truly cooked

I still remember him doing a demolition job on poor Daniel Stewart at Etihad in Round 2, 2012

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah why was that?

Tredrea bowing.

how dare he celebrate getting into a GF. Robert Walls was a dick.

we should have que in rack and let them come back just for the Arch. Because he was a legend of a bloke sniper.

Wines' game has to be split into 3 when analysing his efforts ie - at centre bounces, at around the ground stoppages and general play away from stoppages. But first the overall results;

The good
26 k 17 hb 3 marks, I50's, 23 contested possessions

The very good
13 clearances, 4 centre and 9 around the ground, 7 tackles, 616m gained, might be a PB, 0 frees against, score involvements 8, 17 uncontested possessions, he is getting a lot of outside ball.

The Bad
Disposal efficiency 53.5%, ie 23 effective disposals out of 43.

The Very Bad
Kicking efficiency 30.8%, Clangers 13, Turn overs 10 and only 8 of 26 kicks were considered effective.
Farrell didn't get a kick so Ollie was worst, Bonner next 4/11 = 36.4% and Rozee 4/9 = 44.4% everyone else 50%+

That means 8/26 kicks were effective and 15/17 handballs were effective

I don't think I saw Ollie do any clanger handballs or kicks from the 4 centre clearances he won or if he received a centre clearance handball he didn't produce a clanger kick or handball. We got 15 centre clearances and I reckon Ollie was involved in 10 of them.

So in effect his 13 clangers were probably 2 handballs (I saw one from a stoppage in the third quarter) and 11 kicks.

That means he probably had 8 effective kicks, 11 clanger kicks and 7 ineffective kicks.

I assume the ineffective kicks were the 1 pt he kicked, the shot on goal after the 1st quarter siren that didn't make the distance and 5 that the ball either went out of bounds or ended up going to no ones advantage and resulted in a ball up.

He works his arse off to get clearances and is running into spaces to get loose balls and handball receives, but he has to improve his kicking efficiency. He should be trying to get 50%+ effective kicks and split the other 50% between ineffective and clanger kicks rather than the clanger kicks be the biggest part of the 3.

He had a few clangers at stoppages around the ground, but it was in general play that his kicking let him down, either turning it over or producing an ineffective kick.

13 clangers / 10 turnovers against the top sides could result in 8 to 10 goals from them.

He has to get full marks for his efforts but if he is going to be the champion he wants to be, and compete against the best like Bontempelli, he has to fix up his kicking issues. No one says he is going to be a great kick, but he has to work on moving from a bad kick to at least an average midfield player kick standard.

See stats at

and

Last edited:
Tredrea bowing.
And the stupid mexican wave going around the ground late in the 3rd quarter and in the 4th when the game was over.

He wasn't just overlooked though. Alot of promises were made to Shaun, not just by Williams either. When the board went against the recommendation of Williams the Burgoyne's felt betrayed for a myriad of reasons. All I will say is the Port hierarchy changed tack about 6 years ago and there's been alot of dirt to bury. Also Shaun is like one of a dozen guys in the AFL who hasn't cheated on his wife, so pretty much a legend.
its a high standard we hold our men to

Dunno if it has been mentioned but Fredrick's dummy to Junior and goal was my highlight of the game.

Good on Jr for making it to 400. Good on Port for raining on the parade!

Did anyone notice who the goal umpire was when Marty Frederick kicked his first goal?
Non other than his idol David Rodan (and the man who presented him with his guernsey on his debut)

Did anyone notice who the goal umpire was when Marty Frederick kicked his first goal?
Non other than his idol David Rodan (and the man who presented him with his guernsey on his debut)

It could just be me but I always think that David Rodan's smile is a little bigger when he sticks the guns out to award Port a goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back