Review Round 16, 2022: Box Hill Hawks v Southport Sharks, 9 July 2022, 12.35pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Box Hill are their own worst enemy eg. turnovers aplenty from poor field kicking; handballing to a teammate's feet & no-one at the drop of the ball. Footy basics really - been like this for several weeks, Sharks inaccuracy in Q1 kept us in it. Need a serious lift to play finals.

Box Hill are their own worst enemy eg. turnovers aplenty from poor field kicking; handballing to a teammate's feet & no-one at the drop of the ball. Footy basics really - been like this for several weeks, Sharks inaccuracy in Q1 kept us in it. Need a serious lift to play finals.
Since the wet weather has hit we have been poor.

Sounds like then 1s

He played as much in defence as forward as a junior
Interesting to see how he goes for rest of season. I’m curious to see how a guy that’s struggled to contest will turn into a back but stranger things have happened. It may have just been the move down back was a kick in the pants to contest harder. But we don’t need a tall back flanker. Was mentioned we may try him as a mid as well.

He may get another year as there’s talent there and callow is struggling.

Jeka i still want big time as the CHF, but he has to have a huge pre season both to build endurance and to consistently work hard none of this patchy s**t and get him on a similar plan to Lewis, get him strong but get him able to cover the ground at an elite level. Currently he's not strong enough forward and not working hard enough consistently, outside of that he really has no footy weakness.

Footy IQ, Dual footed kicking, sticky hands, clean below his knees, good by hand, good leading patterns and likes to lead the wings.

We saw him at his best last year as a bloke who was having 20 touches 10 marks and kicking bags.

Ended up having 25 hit outs, 10 kicks, 7 marks, and 1 goal.

s reactions no GIF
Over-achiever.

Looking forward to see what Lynch/Ramsden combination can put up the rest of the year.

We have a lot of guys that are decent VFL onballers, do any of them have AFL talent? I'd blamed our lack of midfield performance on the ruck situation, hopefully Lynch/Ramsden gives us a winning combination to build around rest of season.

Let’s be brutally honest.
if you take off your blinkers and look at the last couple of games (perhaps more), and pretend you didn’t know the HFC draft players from the Box Hill players, there’s no one who you’d identify as a genuine potential AFL footballer. Perhaps, with your blinkers on, you may have assumed Greene and Mascitti and Parsons were on our list.

But not Long, not Serong, not Callow and certainly not Jeka. And Howe is proven VFL standard but no more, which probably justifies the club cutting him at end of year.

That’s not knocking the recruiters. It’s always the way - if you recruit, say, 8 players, you’re hoping 2 or 3 will make it.
And where we’ve done brilliantly is to pinch the mid season recruits in Newcombe and Bramble and now Blanck.

Let’s be brutally honest.
if you take off your blinkers and look at the last couple of games (perhaps more), and pretend you didn’t know the HFC draft players from the Box Hill players, there’s no one who you’d identify as a genuine potential AFL footballer. Perhaps, with your blinkers on, you may have assumed Greene and Mascitti and Parsons were on our list.

But not Long, not Serong, not Callow and certainly not Jeka. And Howe is proven VFL standard but no more, which probably justifies the club cutting him at end of year.
Harsh on Serong. Def shown something am bullish on him. He's the same height if not taller than Jeka.

If you watch the last quarter I maintain Saunders has something he isn't strong enough yet to stand up in tackles. Runs good lines and break lines.

Callow, Jeka at their ceiling. Jeka can pivot on the spot but can't turn corners quick enough. It's why he is poor in contested situations as his opponent can close the space down and it limits his ability to recover and contest at ground level.

Long is interesting. His form has dropped since early in the season when he was an AFL emergency. Is plodding now, not winning much ball and isn't a penetrative kick. I'll give him another preseason.

Brady Grey, Cavarra, Porter and stalwarts Mascitti and Green are all the prominent ones.

But box hill has been hurt by the ruck situation at Hawthorn. Using key position players to pinch hit.

And since the weather has turned wet our ball handling has been appalling. Howe who is an AFL veteran fumbled so much ball on the weekend he couldn't possibly get a call up.

Harsh on Serong. Def shown something am bullish on him. He's the same height if not taller than Jeka.

If you watch the last quarter I maintain Saunders has something he isn't strong enough yet to stand up in tackles. Runs good lines and break lines.

Callow, Jeka at their ceiling. Jeka can pivot on the spot but can't turn corners quick enough. It's why he is poor in contested situations as his opponent can close the space down and it limits his ability to recover and contest at ground level.

Long is interesting. His form has dropped since early in the season when he was an AFL emergency. Is plodding now, not winning much ball and isn't a penetrative kick. I'll give him another preseason.

Brady Grey, Cavarra, Porter and stalwarts Mascitti and Green are all the prominent ones.

But box hill has been hurt by the ruck situation at Hawthorn. Using key position players to pinch hit.

And since the weather has turned wet our ball handling has been appalling. Howe who is an AFL veteran fumbled so much ball on the weekend he couldn't possibly get a call up.

Jeka's 198 cm - Serong's 193.

Hope you're right about Serong and admittedly it's early days for the fellas drafted last year. But his last 3 games he's had 11, 7 and 10 possessions and to my mind has been relatively underwhelming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BHH's ball movement has been pretty poor in recent times. Hard to judge those playing forward with such crap delivery. What was noticeable was Jeka's kicking and decision-making in the second half. Head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe he has a slim chance evolving into an intercept type player.

Serong and Long are just going the heavy tracks would not help. Serong is a bouncy type, he needs a great tank to make it. Long cant see it.

Callow doesn't seem to be able to put together a complete game. He'll do the odd good thing then vanishes. He struggles to get involved.

Jeka's 198 cm - Serong's 193.

Hope you're right about Serong and admittedly it's early days for the fellas drafted last year. But his last 3 games he's had 11, 7 and 10 possessions and to my mind has been relatively underwhelming.
They were standing next to each other in the quarter time huddle. Serong was the same height if not taller. I was pleasantly surprised as I reckon Serong can be a KP in time. Not a no.1 but a 2nd.

Serongs numbers reflect how poor we have been the last 3 weeks. Been terrible other than a better second half last sat.

They were standing next to each other in the quarter time huddle. Serong was the same height if not taller. I was pleasantly surprised as I reckon Serong can be a KP in time. Not a no.1 but a 2nd.

Serongs numbers reflect how poor we have been the last 3 weeks. Been terrible other than a better second half last sat.

Must say I thought Serong looked a lot taller than 193 when I saw him on tele

Remove this Banner Ad

Back