Review Round 16, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against the Western Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Kiddie's kicking is so good, on one of those Charlie goals he saw Cameron had outside position. Just kicked it about 5-10m to the side of Charlie, bit of bodywork and a free wheeling goal. Charlie instantly recognized the kick from Kiddie after the celebration.

Not only hitting lace out, but kicking to your advantage side to let you work your man over.

He couldn't find the pill as a small forward, but instantly at home as a small defender. Dare I say some shades of McLeod in his running patterns and ball use off HB!

Our midfield continues to be a problem area against the better sides. The Bulldogs were far superior in the contests. Much cleaner and they got it to a receiver in better position much more easily than the Lions did. Our midfielders did however work much harder this week to put pressure on and this paid off. We still fell off too many tackles but the pressure did cause quite a lot of turnovers and gave our backs time to set up and compete.

One of the biggest changes this week from the rest of the year was how good our disposal was in the back half. All the usual offenders actually used the ball very well. Answerth and Andrews went at 100%, Payne over 90% and all the other backs over 75% including Adams (who was the low guy but still went at 75%). Being safe coming out of defense helped our transition a great deal.

I loved how hard our small forwards worked tonight. A prime example was in the second half when we were under a lot of pressure deep in defence and the Bulldogs kicked it to the open side. Cleaning it up for us 25m out from our own goal were Charlie and Linc. They had worked their butts off to get that far back and save a goal and then set us up moving forward. That kind of effort really lifts the team.

On some of the players:

Prior - probably his best game. Worked really hard and covered a lot of ground. He was actually able to find the ball tonight which makes it so much easier to keep him in the side.

Ah Chee - had a very nice game. Every 5 or 6 games he pulls out a game like this and everyone gets excited. If he could play like this 5 games out of 6 rather than 1 game out of 6 I would be much higher on him. Still he was very good last night.

Payne - really solid at the back both offensively and defensively. His size balances our defence and I think is a reason Andrews is starting to find some form again.

Coleman - great game. When Rich went off he became the playmaker coming out of defense and he was excellent. His delivery into forward 50 is elite and the more we can get it into his hands the better we will be.

Rayner - again showed some good strength over the ball in contests and is a point of difference for us when he goes inside. He needs to work on his short burst defensive speed when playing on ball though. There were quite a few times when the ball was in his area and he just let it go rather than working to shut it down. Still I like his development this year.

Charlie - his effort was high all game and that resulted in him being BOG. Good both offensively and with his defensive pressure. When he is up and about like this he is the best small forward in the competition.

Lyons - looked to be working as hard as he could defensively and the team was better for it. I have been a critic of his and the issues his lack of pace causes but credit where it was due last night.

Answerth - was solid yesterday but did not do anything that impressed me overly. Personally I would still prefer to look at others but he is pretty good defensively and if he is not turning it over by foot he will be hard to drop.

Tunstill - was good for the first three quarters I thought. Worked up and down the wing, linking well and helping the ball transition nicely. His kicking has been the thing I have been most concerned about but last night it was actually good with him making a few very nice passes. Physically he handled things nicely and was not afraid to throw himself into a contest.

Berry - just worked his butt off. Still a bit scrappy and not the cleanest but his work rate made up for that. Certainly one of our best and picking up a couple of goals rounded out a very good game from him.
Really pleased to see you find some goodness in Ah Chee Quigley . I think 1 in 6 is very harsh. He was reasonably exemplary for most of this year and had a couple of down days after he copped a very severe knock a few weeks ago.

Good point you raise about Payne . If he and Adams can handle whoever the gorillas are in the opposition Harris gets an inferior opponent and becomes the damaging player he was before we pushed him back to the goal line.

Not being at the ground I find it hard to fully assess the penetration he gets on his kicks. However, what is is abundantly clear on the TV is his vision and the touch on his kicks, that's pure talent.
He has a big kick that seems effortless.
Must be able to hit the sweet spot or something.
What was the equation.
Force = Foot speed x mass x by % of of sweet spot .
Then we have to consider Drag, angular drag, friction, gravity.
Lets assume speed is velocity x acceleration.
Are you still with me?
My head hurts.

I actually think it was one of our best wins this season.
Was sort of reverse of last week.. Dogs up in the first we just hung in there
They came out in the 2nd for the start of match then we switched it on

Some ways I think the injuries helped..
I been saying we need to play Jerry through the middle more . Zorko out meant we did
Rich been way predictable out of the back 50.. Coleman played different. Even Payne kicked out once :) I held my breathe. Actually Payne disposal improved the last few games.

Although what is our weakness in the mid was the dogs only strength. Back and forward they are not great.
Yes they down a few players English, Daniels, Richards and Duryea, although it is Naughton or bust.
Down back they struggle Joe got frees from panic rather then a ump bias.

So was interesting game. Our forward line and back line was super solid.
No idea why they kicked it to Andrews like we did Lever last week. They have one marking target so why you bang it in long and high.
We do have 3 marking targets who watched Lever mark it last week :)

Our mids got smashed again.. Which is a worry
Lyons played better and Neale was Neale.
I really think it finding the third mid that is what we need then the pile on about Lyons lack of two way running.

Edit Answerth did a lot I think people here must of not seen.
Thought one of his better games.

I also like Ah Chee off HB and Prior was solid. Jimmy had a good game and hope keeps his spot.

I say Zorko/Rich out for Lohmann/Dev
Keep Ah Chee back

im actually fairly happy with the midfields performance in that one

dogs can probably still comfortably claim to have the best midfield in the game and after quarter time i think we well and truly had their measure although the stats might not show it that clearly. dunkley / bontempelli / macrae were kept down on output compared to usual with some great pressure from our boys and libba was the only one of their mids i thought got off the chain with his great clearance work. we forced a lot of turnovers and had some great ball movement, especially when we were using our wingmen in prior, tunstill and berry. think this is even better in the context of being a player down on the bench and the dogs were the ones looking tired in the back half of the game rather than us. still improvement to be made (sometimes they still got the easy handball chain out at stoppage) but overall big props from me

entire backline can take a bow... best game theyve played all year. could write a paragraph on how awesome each of them were and i think thats already been done by others here. neale said postgame coleman will be a multiple AA in the future and im inclined to believe him. answerths performance should quiet some of his doubters for a bit

that clearance where bailey streamed out of the centre bounce and got it straight into our forward 50 in the second quarter was an almost magic moment

if those posters went in the margin would have looked like it did against us last week. joe so close to an absolutely dominant game in that regard

bevo pacing back and forth after lincs mark directly in front of goal in the second... he knew they were cooked

Mentioned this in the gameday thread, but watch Tunstill's efforts here as a second game player at the end of the third quarter, playing a rotation short (video is 1 min long).

Obviously his tank has a way to go, but you can't deny the effort. Second for us in sprints (19; Hipwood 20), equal first for the game with repeat sprints (5), and third highest (excluding Zorko) in average speed in defense.
Ditto Answerth and Payne

reflecting on my walk in the rain today, gosh I like the look of Payne last two weeks.

Hopefully he is shadowing Adams during training. Looks like he is getting some better body work.

Adams and Andrews now have the synergy (eugh what a word), but there are still some slight moments where Payne and Andrews were not totally in sync. Thats okay though! His strength and speed are such a good foundation to e a great defender. Lets hope he gets a good run at it, though if Gardiner forces him out through his form then thats okay too. I just hope its only for that reason.

Oh and the hysteria on Hippy's shove into the ump. I personally don't like the look of it, but if some rando is correct, they actually can't give him weeks, just a fine? I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't specifically want to shove him and have them collide. Until I see clear footage I just can't make any call as to his intent. But yeh its not a good look.

edit: yup just a $1000 fine.

Last edited:
reflecting on my walk in the rain today, gosh I like the look of Payne last two weeks.

Hopefully he is shadowing Adams during training. Looks like he is getting some better body work.

Adams and Andrews now have the synergy (eugh what a word), but there are still some slight moments where Payne and Andrews were not totally in sync. Thats okay though! His strength and speed are such a good foundation to e a great defender. Lets hope he gets a good run at it, though if Gardiner forces him out through his form then thats okay too. I just hope its only for that reason.

Oh and the hysteria on Hippy's shove into the ump. I personally don't like the look of it, but if some rando is correct, they actually can't give him weeks, just a fine? I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't specifically want to shove him and have them collide. Until I see clear footage I just can't make any call as to his intent. But yeh its not a good look.
I also love a walk in the rain........Oh and I agree on Payne as well, I think we have seen enough evidence that we are a better balanced unit down back with him in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we look better without Rich and having Ah Chee down back. Both him and Kiddy are better defensively and aren't as likely to get outpaced if there is a quick ball coming down. Unfortunately for Richy, I don't believe we lose much (if anything at all) offensively either. It sounds like I am not the only one who thinks so. I know Fages is trying to reward Richy for loyalty but I wonder if there is somewhere else we could fit him in?
Prior on the wing has to be our go to from now on if Clugg and/or Berry are going to be in the centre. Even if those two took up a wing each Prior is still the option for a guy to rotate through the wings and half-back off the interchange.
Tunstill was pretty good
Answerth was good. He's not silk but it takes balls to stand in the hole and not flinch when the big forward are coming at you.
I thought Payne was good again. I think he should be above Gardiner in the pecking order.
I don't see us winning it this year but I think our window is still open. I honestly believe when some of our youth becomes first 22 next year, as perhaps they should be now it will improve us enough on every line to potentially get where we want to go. We will gain a bit more speed in defence as well as a bit more accountability IMO if we move 1 or 2 guys on next season, our forward line could be even more dangerous with Lohman running around and in the midfield I think a move on from Zorko and Lyons could provide some positives.

Honourable mention to the pitch invader as well. Did the full length of the Gabba and was onto his second lap before security finally got him.
Clever to start with the hi vis - got a good headstart blending in before off it came. Saw him in the back of the cop van afterwards looking a bit worse for wear though

Rayner is hugely talented but has to really lift his game at centre clearances. On several occasions last night he basically stood and watched the Bulldogs run past him without making any effort to tackle. He really needs to lift the defensive part of his game,including two way running before he can be considered a true midfielder imo. When he gets possessions he can be very damaging but just doesn’t get enough of it. I wonder if giving him a run off the half back line might be an option for him.
Interesting - getting behind the ball simplifies things. Bailey as well. Reminds me of Leigh moving Aker and Leppa back in 1999 - made their careers.

Interesting - getting behind the ball simplifies things. Bailey as well. Reminds me of Leigh moving Aker and Leppa back in 1999 - made their careers.
I agree. I think Cam could be a real weapon from half back. He is a good ‘straight line’ player,reasonably quick, super strong and good overhead. We did a similar thing with Rich a few years back with great success and I reckon Cam could be even better.

Clever to start with the hi vis - got a good headstart blending in before off it came. Saw him in the back of the cop van afterwards looking a bit worse for wear though
Copped a head high shot from one of the security guards which would have been intentional, severe impact and likely sent straight to the tribunal.

I’m surprised they didn’t drop him on the concrete as they carried him off

Copped a head high shot from one of the security guards which would have been intentional, severe impact and likely sent straight to the tribunal.

I’m surprised they didn’t drop him on the concrete as they carried him off
LOL! We said the same thing on the night, it was a massive coat hanger, could have broken the idiots neck. I didn't see it but someone near us said they did throw him on the concrete when they took him off.

Did anyone notice when Richy went off.
I think I recall him at his best and thumping it forward into our 1nside 50 zone.
Vintage richy and then probably at least another quarter I noticed him missing.
I wonder if it was that roost that twinged his hammy.
Was a great roost.
I'll have to watch the replay this week.

Pulled up short when chasing a dogs player who marked it. Could see him do a little skip pulling up on the mark.

Back