Preview Round 16, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Friday 1st July, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Blues

Votes: 68 81.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First try for the week is always a bit radical.

Given last weeks disaster with using Sharman and Long as back up ruckman and Carltons current injury problems I'm giving Tom Campbell a run. He's been brilliant Sandy and should get a go. Worst thing that could happen is that he falls on Cripps. So Ryder has another week to rest up.

DMac not looking likely and Wood is out of form so Leinert to the wing. At least if he gets it his long bomb forward will at least be a deep i50 entry.

Highmore comes in simply because he's been playing well enough to deserve a run.

Pressure forwards who don't kick goals means you end up with 4 goals for the game. At least Windy and Owens can play through the midfield while they provide pressure in the front half.

Move King to CHF, might help him move about a bit.

Out: Butler, Long, Wangmil, Byrnes, Billings, Sharman
In: Campbell, Hill, Highmore, Owens, Higgins, Leinert

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, Webster
C: Hill, Steele, Leinert
HF: Gresham, KING, Owens
F: Higgins, Campbell, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Ross

Int: Clark, Jones, Highmore, Windhager

Sub: Billings
Ryder probably back. Not sure Hill is yet.
Owens out concussion.

Our game plan has been based off our half backs in Hill and Sincs. Not sure why when one went down we didn’t opt for Highmore earlier. Seems a little obvious really.
Dreaming that Billings and Clark were going to just arrive and hit form seems like cloud gazing.

Our game plan has been based off our half backs in Hill and Sincs. Not sure why when one went down we didn’t opt for Highmore earlier. Seems a little obvious really.
Dreaming that Billings and Clark were going to just arrive and hit form seems like cloud gazing.
You think that Highmore can play the Hill or Sinclair role?
Perhaps Wilkie could, and Highmore could play the Wilkie role.

Ins Ryder Highmore Hill (if ready)
Outs Sharman (unlucky) NWM ????
You think that Highmore can play the Hill or Sinclair role?
Perhaps Wilkie could, and Highmore could play the Wilkie role.
Highmore is pretty decent at distributing the ball. It’s not an exact like for like. My point being without Hill we get no drive or connection off half back. Wilkie is decent as well.

Sorry I understand different viewpoints but some you guys are fkd with your selections

Billings and Jones are best 22 and have to be given the chance to find some form .... in fact Billings has been OK thus far .... 20 disposals each game + a few goals .... Jones more of a worry but if there is any player who can find form quickly it's him ..... we need to back them because when firing they are very hard to stop

It's great that we have blooded Owens and co but it's time for our more experienced players to show their worth

Time to see who stands up and who doesn't

Jones was actually a bit better against Sydney.
12 contested possessions and 7 clearances , he would have been amongst those giving us the most opportunity to turn the ball over.

Ins Ryder Highmore Hill (if ready)
Outs Sharman (unlucky) NWM ????

Highmore is pretty decent at distributing the ball. It’s not an exact like for like. My point being without Hill we get no drive or connection off half back. Wilkie is decent as well.

I agree, but from memory Highmore's stats for meters gained were amongst the lowest average last year.

2021 AFL League Metres Gained Per Game Leaders
( i checked, my memory isn't always great ).

Ewwwww.
I just opened the meters gained stats for the Sydney game. I'm thinking they were linking up pretty well.

Blakey 560
Warner 518
Lloyd 480
Stephens 474
Wangeneen-Milera 427
Gulden 367
Franklin 359
Florent 352
Papley 320
Rampe 317
Ross 316
Fox 309
Sinclair 300
Marshall 299

Mills 289.

Contrast to our previous game against Essendon.
Hind 571
Gresham 524 ( 164 against Swans ).
Hill 517
Sinclair 449
Billings 424

Kind of makes me re-think Nasiah's game. Might have gone pearshaped for him, but he was the only one moving the ball for us.

Unless we get a vintage Paddy ruck performance their midfield is going to do unspeakable things to us.

Cripps, Walsh, Hewett and Kennedy have been dining out and DeKoenig is turning into a fine ruckman.

If we couldnt exploit Essendons lack of height (and talent) in their backline then were not going to do it here either.

We just need so much to turn around its really hard to see it happening, we are a Jekyll and Hyde football club so who knows who turns up but id say even our best against the Blues in this form would be a tight game.

If we don't see Highmore this weekend then they've lost the plot.

Honestly the season is done already there is absolutely no point playing our usual side. Players who aren’t performing should be out and any fit kid in. At least pump games into a few. We’ll finish between 9th and 16th IMO unless some other sides s**t the bed. Might as well play guys like Highmore, Joyce and Connolly. A call will probably get made on them soon so might as well give them a few weeks to take spots off the underperforming guys.

Honestly the season is done already there is absolutely no point playing our usual side. Players who aren’t performing should be out and any fit kid in. At least pump games into a few. We’ll finish between 9th and 16th IMO unless some other sides s**t the bed. Might as well play guys like Highmore, Joyce and Connolly. A call will probably get made on them soon so might as well give them a few weeks to take spots off the underperforming guys.
We are 6 to 8 short of a sustainable top 4 side and that is on the proviso some of the current kids can make the grade other wise it's more like 10 to 12.

Joyce is a break glass in emergency type and will be cut at season's end you'd think. Connolly needs to continue developing at Sandy, can't see him coming in against Carlton as they will monter him.

Highmore deserves a chance.

Clark will be building but he came from a long way back, he seemed to be working his way into passages of play more against the Swans. And Steele will have more confidence with his shoulder so exect him to go up a gear against the blues.

With Hill back we will be back to 2 outlets from the backline, Syncs was tagged last week which was an obvious move by Horse with Hill out. I expect our creativity out of the backline to be a feature this week.

Hopefully Wood has done enough to come back in becaue we have missed the athletic profiles of him and DMac between the arcs to provide link up and support Syncs and Hill to get the ball moving quickly into F50.

If that happens then maybe our forward line might work a little better. Hopefully Kingy isn't as mentally fragile this week. Sharman will go out you'd think for Higgins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are 6 to 8 short of a sustainable top 4 side and that is on the proviso some of the current kids can make the grade other wise it's more like 10 to 12.

Joyce is a break glass in emergency type and will be cut at season's end you'd think. Connolly needs to continue developing at Sandy, can't see him coming in against Carlton as they will monter him.

completely agree on Highmore. If we're going to continue to concede high inside 50 numbers well we might as well try and be the best intercept team we can.
Howard, Wilkie, Battle as our KPD's with Highmore as our designated interceptor. Webster and/or Pato lockdown smalls, with Sincs and Hilly providing the run and carry from D50.

Also wouldn't mind having Hilly play forward again like he did against Hawthorn. At least he has the running profile to actually push back defensively to help and then burn his opponents running forward on the rebound. It's strange how it worked in our best team game for the year and then we just threw him back again the following week.

What ? Cut Joyce, so we can draft a break glass emergency type from the VFL?

You honestly want us to give up and start tanking?

You honestly want us to give up and start tanking?
Not sure well have to TBH.

In reality which of the following do you think we will win (not "we have a chance if we play well" etc. do you genuinely go "yep thats a win")

Carlton @ Marvel
Freo @ Marvel
Dogs @ Marvel
Eagles @ Optus
Hawks @ Marvel
Cats @GMHBA
Lions @ Marvel
Swans @ Marvel

Id say genuinely we beat Hawthorn and maaaaaaaaybe we beat Eagles and Swans. Rest would be a minor miracle.

hopefully just cautious due to him being young and not any serious lingering symptoms. That was a brutal head knock though. Head to head at speed.
Probably would've been straight back on the ground not that many years ago.

Hopefully a cautious approach from the outset gives these kids a good chance at a long career and a full and healthy life afterwards.

In reality which of the following do you think we will win (not "we have a chance if we play well" etc. do you genuinely go "yep thats a win")

Carlton @ Marvel
Freo @ Marvel
Dogs @ Marvel
Eagles @ Optus
Hawks @ Marvel
Cats @GMHBA
Lions @ Marvel
Swans @ Marvel

Id say genuinely we beat Hawthorn and maaaaaaaaybe we beat Eagles and Swans. Rest would be a minor miracle.
If we make it were going to have to earn it. I'd only pencil in the Eagles from the run home at this stage

What ? Cut Joyce, so we can draft a break glass emergency type from the VFL?
I suppose it's a question for coaches looking for players who they think can help them win silverware and you'd think Joyce ain't no Steven May. I'm suspicious his papers have already been stamped otherwise he would have established himself in the best 22 already. Backup player but we still need another big KPD.

Carlton @ Marvel
Freo @ Marvel
Dogs @ Marvel
Eagles @ Optus
Hawks @ Marvel
Cats @GMHBA
Lions @ Marvel
Swans @ Marvel

Id say just Hawthorn , Swans play Marvel well and the Eagles at home i don't give us much of a show

You’ve got to be cautious entering a game like this, especially on a Friday night and coming of our form, but god damn it’s hard not to have a little hope.

Particularly because we all know that it is well within this teams capacity to beat Carlton this week.

If we ignore St. Kilda’s tumultuous history, and just isolate this season alone, then still the club has a lot of trust to build back with its supporters.

We’ve played some terrific footy this season, and we’re in one hell of a slump now, but every game until that final game this year (whenever it may be), is a game there to prove something.

Maybe it’s that we can play cohesively. Maybe it’s that we can learn to adapt. Maybe it’s the rise of a new young gun.

Equally, all of these upcoming games are games where there is an opportunity to erode trust further.

You can’t win everything game, you can’t prove something new every game, but finding that balance is where genuine development occurs in my opinion.

Just some food for thought, if we get demolished on Friday night, it’ll be very hard to say that it’s a surprise. We need the trust back, even though for some, I’m sure it was never there. That’s how we built a premiership club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back