Preview Round 16, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Friday 1st July, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Blues

Votes: 68 81.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Carlton play half as well as they did against freo then we’re in all sorts.

Weirdly thibk our backs actually match up pretty well on them, Curnow and McKay are both mobile but so are Howard and Battle. Issue will be supply. Walsh, Cripps, Hewett, Fisher, Kennedy might all have 30+ then Docherty, Saad and even Newnes linking up.

Not sure I can stomach how bad this could get.

Agree with that mate

And that’s why Sharman should stay in

Also at the game last night Membrey is our hardest worker wish some of our mids worked that hard
Might as well play kids. Year is done, start the path to the future

Watching the saints is like watching a car accident . No matter how horrible it is you just have to keep looking.
It’s perverse.
RMVFTKj.gif

One thing that does stand out to me is we’ve lost our runners in Dmac Hill and Wood. All endurance athletes that made it to a lot of contests forward and back.
They’ve been replaced by Clark and Billings that don’t have a tank due to interrupted preseasons.
Get those 3 back in and I think you’d see a big improvement.
We’ve also lost our intercept marking. Please give Highmore a shot ffs Ratts.
I think its easy to overlook the personnel changes to our team before the bye to that we fielded against Sydney.

Ryder, Hill, McKenzie, Wood, Higgins, Owens were all looking like locks. On balance getting the likes of Steele, Clark and Billings back looked a good trade off but I think they are all probably underdone.

Maybe, with the changes has come a loss of system which reflects on the coaching staff. Certainly we don't look the same outfit.

Not sure who would go out, but if any of the above six outs are ready to go this week then they should be strongly considered/brought in. Looks like DMac will miss a couple more weeks though.

Add Highmore to that list who should be in for the rest of the season. Long, Byrnes, Butler and Paton are some who should have a rest at Sandy. Maybe one of the young tyros too.

I'm expecting a strong response this week with an outside chance of a win but we have to get our team balance back to what it was a month ago.

If we don't show something its going to be a couple of dark months ahead. Be interesting to see how we respond both at the selection table and out on the ground. We botched both of them against the Swans.

Bring back Jarrod Lienert.
Played in 5 wins & 1 loss (Brisbane) where he started as sub.

Also, at least he’ll take the game on and be a better kick out option than Doug’s.

Ins: Ryder, Hill, Lienert, McKenzie, Owens
Out: Billings, Byrnes, Paton, Jones, Clark

You were spot on about Sharman coming into the side, it seems like the taller our forward line is the better we play. Sharman Ryder King Membrey might be a good shout with the smalls making up the rest of the forward line however they're all out of form so I don't know how that ends up.

Someone suggested Battle forward and Highmore at CHB, what do you reckon? I know you want Battle settled but geez we look hopeless up forward right now.
If we had peak Lockett, Milne and GTrain I reckon our forward line still would have struggled best off the way it was going in

Noticed he gets a bit agro when things don't go his way either. He took one of the Sydney defenders heads off in maybe the 2nd or 3rd quarter. I can't blame him really, I'd be frustrated too, but he needs to control that a bit. I think if he starts to lose it like that it actually takes away from his game and makes us as a side worse. It's like when s**t teams are desperate to win and everyone wants to be the hero. You actually get beat worse.
This was happening all over the place against the swans. On the positive- at least they were trying

If we had peak Lockett, Milne and GTrain I reckon our forward line still would have struggled best off the way it was going in
King needs to get a bit more hunger for the ball, and more hunger to beat his opponent. Lockett and Gehrig were much more pro-active in contests in their younger days than Max is at a similar age.

Carlton have Curnow and Mckay 192cm and 204cm respectively. A coleman medalist and the leading coleman this year.

We have Sharman 193cm and Max King 202cm.

There's no reason our forward duo can't be as effective as theirs. One giant and one mobile leading goal kicker. If you watch them they're a fantastic combo making up for the other's deficiencies. Both our two are the same age too, perfect age to develop chemistry together.
Curnow is physically bigger and stronger 10kg & 4 years of gym work ahead of Sharman.

I really hope that our players have thicker skins than some of the posters here. Since Saturday night we've seen every layer of the club cop it - president, board, coaches, players (thankfully the trainee receptionist has been spared). And now I see GT is back on with his carry-on, the clown just can't help himself.

Our form is atrocious but here's the thing, since the bye we've only lost one game we were expected to win. The season is not over due to the fact that we won a lot of games in the first half of the year. "Play the kids because the season is over" is a loser mentality.

The team needs a circuit breaker to get its mojo back, and what better way to do that than to beat an up and about Carlton?

Yes I know the safest bet is to go "the club sucks there's no way we will win this game", but this team has played well this season, we've beaten Geelong Richmond and Freo who look like three of the better teams in the comp. I'm not going to write those wins off as flukes.

I've seen us do Carlton in a game like this before. F it I'm going to believe in this team this week, let's get up for a great win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steele was rusty, pardon the pun, and Sharman was the victim of our hideous entries. I wouldn’t drop either.
Billing’s should get a holiday at Sandy but will in all likelihood not.
Jones needs to extract the digit big time. I’d move him out of the middle, not sure to where though.
Ross was our best mid on the weekend and that is our biggest worry. Midfield is cactus atm.
Gresham needs to be in the middle more than forward.
Highmore 33 disposals and 12 intercept marks, that is all.
Howard needs to be moved out of fb and into chb. Joyce deep.
One of Pato or JWeb needs to go out to make way for Highmore. Not my preference but I’d go Pato at this point based on form.
NWM out for Hill.
"Howard needs to be moved out of fb and into chb. Joyce deep."

Shows the complete lack of imagination by the coaching staff.

We'd kicked 2 goals at 3/4 time - surely someone on the team must have had enough of a niggle that we could have substituted someone out and brought Joyce in for a qtr to see how it might look. Port exploit the medisub rule every week and the league says nothing.

Joyce FB, Battle CB, King CHF, Doogs FF - as John Kennedy said - "do something!!!!"

I really hope that our players have thicker skins than some of the posters here. Since Saturday night we've seen every layer of the club cop it - president, board, coaches, players (thankfully the trainee receptionist has been spared). And now I see GT is back on with his carry-on, the clown just can't help himself.

Our form is atrocious but here's the thing, since the bye we've only lost one game we were expected to win. The season is not over due to the fact that we won a lot of games in the first half of the year. "Play the kids because the season is over" is a loser mentality.

The team needs a circuit breaker to get its mojo back, and what better way to do that than to beat an up and about Carlton?

Yes I know the safest bet is to go "the club sucks there's no way we will win this game", but this team has played well this season, we've beaten Geelong Richmond and Freo who look like three of the better teams in the comp. I'm not going to write those wins off as flukes.

I've seen us do Carlton in a game like this before. F it I'm going to believe in this team this week, let's get up for a great win.
I like it but we have a lot of work to do. Is Weitering back? We should be working on entry all week this week. If there's an area to exploit it's Carlton's backline, granted they've been playing well back there without their first teamers but the wheels can come off that wagon real quick if we become a threat up forward again.

Wonder who comes in. I can think of four already. Ryder Hill McKenzie Higgins. Would prefer us play the side closest to the one that won us 8 of 11 to start. Where's the cohesion of that group gone? The fall has been remarkable, we really have to turn it around this week. To me it's just the entry, other aspects of our game may be a concern to some but not enough to have to worry about this week I don't think. Drill the entry all week and stick to what works on Friday. Can safely say sky balls on the head of King and the marking targets up there do not work.

Will be the second game at Marvel I'll be going to this year. I wouldn't have gone but my Carlton supporting mate has sucked me in and with the Blues going well I want him to enjoy it but hopefully not at our expense.

If it goes our way we're back in the 8 with Freo at home to follow. If we get done I dread to think how far behind the pack we'll be whilst needing to win 5 of the remaining 7 games. To me this is really the season on the line. We've put ourselves in a position now where we can't slip up.

Noticed he gets a bit agro when things don't go his way either. He took one of the Sydney defenders heads off in maybe the 2nd or 3rd quarter. I can't blame him really, I'd be frustrated too, but he needs to control that a bit. I think if he starts to lose it like that it actually takes away from his game and makes us as a side worse. It's like when s**t teams are desperate to win and everyone wants to be the hero. You actually get beat worse.
To be fair the Sydney defenders since Paul Roos have been gaming the system, holding pushing etc etc grubby behaviour. They get a pass from the umps disgraceful imo

In: Hill, Ryder, Highmore

Out: Sharman, Byrnes (make him sub), one of Long or Paton

Hill back helps massively with the ball movement issues. Sydney's decision to tag Sinclair was made worse with no Hill there. We also stuck to one side of the gorunf way too much so Hill back should help open the field up given he has the skills/vision to pull off the risky kicks.

Ryder will be back but I dont want to see him rucking the majority of the game. Marshall looked the best he has in weeks on Saturday playing as the main ruck so we cant sacrifice that again. I want to see Ryder starting the game at full forward and playing the majority of the game there. Get King to play higher on Weitering and get Ryder playing deep on Young. It might not work but we need to try something else up forward.

Highmore comes in off the back of good form. Neither Long or Paton are like-for-likes but we need to reward Highmore's form.

Other things I'd like to see - we need to shut down their run off half back so try sending Butler to tag Saad given he has the speed to match. Battle on Curnow is going to be a huge test but on paper, he is a pretty good matchup for him. We know NWM is a beautiful kick who can pull off some great one but he needs to focus on getting the simple kicks right this week. Steele v Cripps is always a great match-up.

The biggest challenge will be not letting Carlton get the fast start they've been known to get this year. They also tend to have lags in games so we need to capitalise on it when/if it happens again.

Ryder,Hill,Owens & McKenzie who will be available this week at a minimum, could even look at Wood also for more run.

I like it but we have a lot of work to do. Is Weitering back? We should be working on entry all week this week. If there's an area to exploit it's Carlton's backline, granted they've been playing well back there without their first teamers but the wheels can come off that wagon real quick if we become a threat up forward again.

Wonder who comes in. I can think of four already. Ryder Hill McKenzie Higgins. Would prefer us play the side closest to the one that won us 8 of 11 to start. Where's the cohesion of that group gone? The fall has been remarkable, we really have to turn it around this week. To me it's just the entry, other aspects of our game may be a concern to some but not enough to have to worry about this week I don't think. Drill the entry all week and stick to what works on Friday. Can safely say sky balls on the head of King and the marking targets up there do not work.

Will be the second game at Marvel I'll be going to this year. I wouldn't have gone but my Carlton supporting mate has sucked me in and with the Blues going well I want him to enjoy it but hopefully not at our expense.

If it goes our way we're back in the 8 with Freo at home to follow. If we get done I dread to think how far behind the pack we'll be whilst needing to win 5 of the remaining 7 games. To me this is really the season on the line. We've put ourselves in a position now where we can't slip up.
I think Weitering is 50-50 for the game. The other in is Highmore who has just been too good to be overlooked any longer. I would also bring in Owens. That's a lot of changes though.

Ryder,Hill,Owens & McKenzie who will be available this week at a minimum, could even look at Wood also for more run.
DMac not available I believe

Did anyone catch SL on SEN?

Looking at the ins and outs it’s now easy to see how we’ve stopped. No run, no st.kilda.
Clark and Billings are the real worry for this team. Both contributing very little.
Clark gets another go for me
Billing’s just doesn’t run hard enough for a winger Wood and Dmac other so much more with how they work back defensively

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back