Preview Round 16, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Friday 1st July, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Blues

Votes: 68 81.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is not our defense.

I agree we have bigger problems elsewhere, but the discussion a few weeks ago was 'our defence doesn't need any changes'.
Evidence cited at the time a few weeks ago was us being 'the 3rd best ranked defensive team' halfway through the year.

I was howled down for daring to suggest the jury was well and truly still out about whether our defensive setup was good enough for top 4/top 8.... because we hadn't (at that point) run into many finals bound teams playing finals type football.

Yes we have plenty of dumpster fires to address up forward and in the midfield- but our defensive setup is also far from great.

We have too many of the same kind of guys (wilkie, battle, highmore, coffield) and a fullback who is allergic to playing near his opponent.

Plenty of opportunity for major list and position changes down back too.

Hope it starts this week by dropping howard and sticking joyce at FB.

Then have howard play CHB in the magoos until he earns a CHB spot in the ones ahead of battle.

It's a bit hard to raise any concern about the next game. We have a bunch of players and their coach who don't seem to know what to do next- as if consolidating a final eight berth, and looking to finals footy wasn't a great incentive for young footballers... nah just embarrass the club and alienate the supporters.

I agree we have bigger problems elsewhere, but the discussion a few weeks ago was 'our defence doesn't need any changes'.
Evidence cited at the time a few weeks ago was us being 'the 3rd best ranked defensive team' halfway through the year.

I was howled down for daring to suggest the jury was well and truly still out about whether our defensive setup was good enough for top 4/top 8.... because we hadn't (at that point) run into many finals bound teams playing finals type football.

Yes we have plenty of dumpster fires to address up forward and in the midfield- but our defensive setup is also far from great.

We have too many of the same kind of guys (wilkie, battle, highmore, coffield) and a fullback who is allergic to playing near his opponent.

Then have howard play CHB in the magoos until he earns a CHB spot in the ones ahead of battle.
I would say that more pressure has been put on the defense from the way we have given the ball back to teams in our F50. It's coming out of our forward line quicker than it's going in and teams are cutting us open because of it. We've kicked 8, 11 and 4 goals the last three weeks, if there's an area that is the reason we are losing games because of, it's the forward line. That's not to say all areas couldn't be improved because I think they always could be but I'm not too sure if criticising the defence is a good argument for what we're seeing now.

Does anyone know if Hanners trip to Germany for calf surgery was a sucecss and how close he is to being able to play? .

When Daniel Chick suffered a chronic finger injury the solution was amputation.

Just sayin’

Gy91Fmn.jpg

Does anyone know if Hanners trip to Germany for calf surgery was a sucecss and how close he is to being able to play? Keep hearing that he is close. having him and Gresh and Hill and Steele and the boys would be really ace ey.
2 weeks

Steele was rusty, pardon the pun, and Sharman was the victim of our hideous entries. I wouldn’t drop either.
Billing’s should get a holiday at Sandy but will in all likelihood not.
Jones needs to extract the digit big time. I’d move him out of the middle, not sure to where though.
Ross was our best mid on the weekend and that is our biggest worry. Midfield is cactus atm.
Gresham needs to be in the middle more than forward.
Highmore 33 disposals and 12 intercept marks, that is all.
Howard needs to be moved out of fb and into chb. Joyce deep.
One of Pato or JWeb needs to go out to make way for Highmore. Not my preference but I’d go Pato at this point based on form.
NWM out for Hill.
No need to pardon that pun, is hilarious!

Low-key reckon we get about 35-40,000. For some reason we always draw huge crowds against the Blues and it's also their home game.

I remember playing them at the MCG back in maybe 2019 and we were shocked at how many were there that day. Also been games at Marvel where fans have been locked out due to the unexpected additional attendance. I'd get there early to be safe if you're going.
I've got a super busy week coming up so I'm not sure whether I'm able to make it this week. Shame because we've actually got a home game this week.

I've got a super busy week coming up so I'm not sure whether I'm able to make it this week. Shame because we've actually got a home game this week.
Yeah, replacement for the trip to Cairns earlier in the year. I'm not sure how those work, if we just get allocated more tickets or it's legitimately our home game and the ticketing situation that comes with that.

If it's our home game like a normal home game I'd suspect we may struggle to crack 30,000 but if it's Carlton's then I'd say easily between 5-10k more will attend. Might have to check because if you're going then it may change how early you need to get there. Honestly I don't know how replacement games work exactly.

It's a bit hard to raise any concern about the next game. We have a bunch of players and their coach who don't seem to know what to do next- as if consolidating a final eight berth, and looking to finals footy wasn't a great incentive for young footballers... nah just embarrass the club and alienate the supporters.
i honestly don't care who is in or out.

Sharman will be omitted for sure, he is completely out of his depth. Was completely out of position when he attempted those mark from behind packs and was trying to take mark of the centry but just ended up contesting for the same ball King was. He looks like a giraffe on ice when he comes up the ground because not only is he slow and cumbersome, he has the turning circle of the titanic and can't bend over far enough to get his hands below his knees. Doesn't chase or tackle either. 6 touches last night and 7 touches last week at VFL level. I'd be surprised if we see him play at the level for a while. Needs to develop at VFL level for the remainder of the season and have a good pre season and then attempt AFL level again in 2023.
Wow you really hate sharman for some reason. Far from the issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s some effort, we’d lost 3 games before the bye. Lost all 3 since, that’s almost impressive in its hideousness.

Does anyone know if Hanners trip to Germany for calf surgery was a sucecss and how close he is to being able to play? Keep hearing that he is close. having him and Gresh and Hill and Steele and the boys would be really ace ey.

Hopefully he gets up for around 23 against the Swines and he goes back with them

Sharman will be omitted for sure, he is completely out of his depth. Was completely out of position when he attempted those mark from behind packs and was trying to take mark of the centry but just ended up contesting for the same ball King was. He looks like a giraffe on ice when he comes up the ground because not only is he slow and cumbersome, he has the turning circle of the titanic and can't bend over far enough to get his hands below his knees. Doesn't chase or tackle either. 6 touches last night and 7 touches last week at VFL level. I'd be surprised if we see him play at the level for a while. Needs to develop at VFL level for the remainder of the season and have a good pre season and then attempt AFL level again in 2023.
Talk about rinse and repeat, you're a broken record pal, yes we all know it was sharmans fault we lost

Dare I say...Sharman's got you...in a trance

🥁

Our defence is very good, better than most teams.

Our midfield is woeful and our forward line inconsistent.

Good midfield & forward line pressure = good defence

Talk about rinse and repeat, you're a broken record pal, yes we all know it was sharmans fault we lost
By fault are you referring to the fact we are well short of AFL capable players to play like a sustainable top 4 side? If you are then that is silly, even your most fairweather supporter would acknowledge Sharman is not to blame for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back