Autopsy Round 16, 2022: Giants drown the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Argument against Sicily being in the best was Hogan was probably the best player on the ground and Brown kicked 4. He didn't really stop their forwards dominating
Impey was on Brown a fair bit from what i saw, Blanck and Sicily seemed to be rotating on Hogan.

I don't think it was his best game and only took 1 mark but he was often in a really good spot and rebounded plenty of attacks.

The fact that JOM was captain again today totally highlights the lack of leadership at the club.
Weren’t they going to rotate the captaincy while McEvoy was injured?
So far we’ve had JOM for a few weeks, then Sicily for a few weeks and it’s gone back to JOM after the bye.
Where are the leaders? Hardwick? Gunston? Breust? Impey? Bueller? Anyone gonna stand up?!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hardwick always stands up. I won’t abide criticism of Dimma - has played his heart out his entire career which has mostly all been a time when we’ve been a poor side.

Am I the only one who saw this as a nill-all draw?

Some goals from both sides just pure luck. Others (mostly to GWS) through dodgy umpiring decisions.

We don't gain anything ladder/draft wise from the loss or win.
Rare weather conditions meaning game plans are out the window.

Everyone had a crack but they finished ahead on the scoreboard. That's it.

I thought we were pretty even in the midfield to be honest. I would say it was our strongest line today.

I thought our backline, compared to the Giants, allowed some easy goals today. You couldn't even blame the number of inside 50's (we were -3).

I just genuinely think we had some bad moments that allowed easy shots on goal today... some of our highly talent young backs had it easy under Clarko's defensive game plan that dropped a number back, it's not as easy with Sam's style that want's competitive one-on-one football...

I have said it a bit, but we continually raved about our half-backs under Clarko, but it's seriously the easiest position to get a kick, more so when you are playing a 7th... All of CJ, Impey, Day and Scrimshaw are having moments this year... we will be better in the long run.

But really, it's not even the back group that was a worry today. Gee, our forward half were horrific with the number of entries. We just couldn't lock it in, it was too easy for the giants to run it out. Their backline won the game, whilst it also highlighted a huge issue for us with defensive pressure...

Last edited:

I reckon we were outplayed plain and simple. They set up better for the conditions to control the territory and got the ball in the hands of their longest and best kicks.

But - conditions tailor made for O’Meara, newk, Mitchell, Nash, shiels thru the middle. Only Mitchell could justifiably be happy with his game (haters will still hate) and nash and shiels were really poor. I love Liam and was happy when i saw him warming up given the type of game it was but just didn’t give us anything of substance.

Think Sicily, reeves, hardwick and Morrison were good. Breust was clean but not enough. Gunston very poor.

Scrimshaw was one I was really disappointed in. He has a long boot and is generally hard at it. Thought he was ordinary today and has been inconsistent all year.

But a more seasoned team (or their seasoned players more to the point) killed us today with smarter more impactful football.

Need to win the next two to salvage more of the hope.

I thought Scrimmers was clearly in our best 3

Clearly? and did you not even mention Titch out of the others?

* i went through this entire thread and not a single mention on how good he was.

On a day where it mattered mainly about getting it forward, two of our best were Sic and Titch who did just that imo.

Titch had 35 touches 18 kicks 17 handballs with 18 contested possessions.
10 intercepts 6 score involvements.
519 metres gained and 5 clearances.
7 tackles, 4 inside 50s and 5 rebound 50s.

Sicily had 25 touches, 23 kicks.
10 contested with 15 intercepts 962 metres gained 15 rebound 50s and 14 one percenters.

Mitchell was brilliant today mate, I had him in our top two best with Sicily and I agree it's just a bias against him that would say otherwise...

But also man, Mitchell won't get to play in 100mm of rain every week. It's not the game we should be persuaded by to think he's anything more than what he is, which is really not a piece Sam want's to move forward with.

He started on the bench today mate. That's the reality of where he is viewed moving forward.

Again brilliant game. But our game plan isn't win it and hack it forward normally.

We were most likely lucky it was so wet.
It could have been far worse in the dry.
Nothing unexpecred about the result. Our effort was good, decision making and execution not good enough to get near the chocolates.
Hardwick did a great job on Green. Hogan gave Sis a lot of trouble, especially early.
Days season to forget continued.
Our season is done. Get games into the kids where possible. There is very little else to gain from the rest of the season.

Got to say , after Day's incident Im glad we flew the flag a bit . I know it didn't necessarily translate in the game , but hopefully it may be the start of getting in the grill and standing up to opponants.

Opposition clearly target our younger brigade and we do seem to let it happen.

Another step in our development

We were most likely lucky it was so wet.
It could have been far worse in the dry.
Nothing unexpecred about the result. Our effort was good, decision making and execution not good enough to get near the chocolates.
Hardwick did a great job on Green. Hogan gave Sis a lot of trouble, especially early.
Days season to forget continued.
Our season is done. Get games into the kids where possible. There is very little else to gain from the rest of the season.
This has to be the way forward now.

Don't put Titch with JOM, JOM looked like he felt a million dollars and wanted to take everyone and the world on and all it did was invite pressure and cause mistakes, he looked better late but just tried. Titch over the entire day looked like he was clean and in getting it forward, winning constant contested battles and again was one of the best alongside Sic and Morrison for mine.
Yeah fair call Titch was way better than JOM but I thought JOM gave his all which unfortunately isn’t A grade material but was leading clearance player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell was brilliant today mate, I had him in our top two best with Sicily and I agree it's just a bias against him that would say otherwise...

But also man, Mitchell won't get to play in 100mm of rain every week. It's not the game we should be persuaded by to think he's anything more than what he is, which is really not a piece Sam want's to move forward with.

He started on the bench today mate. That's the reality of where he is viewed moving forward.

Again brilliant game. But our game plan isn't win it and hack it forward normally.
He was brilliant and still didn't spend much time as a CBA mid and again started on the pine, but we know how good he can be, if we need him in the middle we can put him there but he can have games like this with minimal mid time.

I thought Scrimmers was clearly in our best 3

I was probably unfairly harsh but I did think he was one who could have had a real impact for us today. I don’t think he did, but having consulted the stat sheet he was better than many … but i didn’t see it as impactful apart from a handful of nice moments.

Thought Sicily, Mitchell and Morrison were clearly out best. Honorable mentions to hardwick, omeara, reeves, Newk and Moore.

Hardwick always stands up. I won’t abide criticism of Dimma - has played his heart out his entire career which has mostly all been a time when we’ve been a poor side.
Close to the most underrated player in the game for mine.

Just an absolute gun defender that does his job week in week out and never gets the credits he deserves.

Even from his own supporters a lot of the time.

Bring in Maginness and Ward, put MacDonald in the midfield for the remainder of the year.
Not sure it matters now and that’s the waste the year has become. As an example of how this team has put the cue in the rack I accept sicilys stats but his negative ball use other than distance is plain to see. He’s captain going forward according to the club leadership😳. The fact Liam played as the sub today says it all, no room for another young guy making his way in a very ordinary side? Not sure how that happens. Great believer in Sam but hes becoming a 50/50 decision maker. He might want to ask Schwab how that ends.

Not sure it matters now and that’s the waste the year has become. As an example of how this team has put the cue in the rack I accept sicilys stats but his negative ball use other than distance is plain to see. He’s captain going forward according to the club leadership😳. The fact Liam played as the sub today says it all, no room for another young guy making his way in a very ordinary side? Not sure how that happens. Great believer in Sam but hes becoming a 50/50 decision maker. He might want to ask Schwab how that ends.
Wtf?

Today was brutal to watch for many reasons - but I’m still baffled that people are in such a funk over our performances when we are in the second year of a rebuild of a list that was chronically mismanaged for 4-5 years and cashed in 4 first round picks for a B-grade mid who tries hard but isn’t worth what we paid for him and Wingard who has been dogged by injury and never been consistently able to produce his best with us. Sam isn’t a magician - it’s going to take 2 more drafts minimum to get the pieces we need to get back to being a top third of the ladder caliber side.

Hardwick was great
Thought Ned did well in the ruck and even on the deck for a big guy

Our forwards looked slow and didn't play in front
That second qtr was so painful to watch - had all the opportunities and no one with any class to finish.

Not sure playing Kosi, Jack and Lewis was the right move for the conditions
Also moving Jai to the forward line for the last qtr was a strange move but I guess Smitch had to try something because our forwards were useless

We are teetering on the edge of a bad year. Winning 2 of the next 3 is a pass mark. We should win all of them.

Finishing with 8 wins off the back of youth is a good platform and directionally right. We should not be going backwards from our 7 wins last year (and 2 draws).

I don’t care about draft picks, I would be bitterly disappointed with a 5-6 win season. That’s not making us an attractive destination for trade and free agent targets and not keeping blokes at our club or building a winning culture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back