Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Tell us about it.
I saw. Looked fine.
We got walloped. It was in our backline a lot. DGB was hardly sighted for the game and wasn't anywhere near being in our best 10 players. If he was dropped to get back form and confidence, he wasn't able to do it that game. Be patient, he'll get back once his form improves, but it might take a couple of games. He's shown in the past that he is a far better player than what he has shown recently.
Hard to tell why Hartigan was promoted, he was practically invisible and hardly contributed anything worthwhile.

badgrill

Premiership Player
Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You wouldn't be if you had seen his last game at BH.
Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

Jul 22, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Couple of big knocks at training today. Both players ok but scares.

First was BB in a contested marking duel. Copped a big whack on the back of the head/neck. Grabbed it straight away. Players in the group all gasping with concern. Was ok after but some real concern when it happened.

2nd was Will Day in the contested ball movement. Had a leg hanging out which got clipped in a contest near the boundary. Didn't look great for a minute but was ok. Was feeling it still a bit later in the same drill. Poor bugger he is all arms and legs just can't get a clean run at it with his playing style. His head makes him go where his body can't always handle. This is a good thing in time but we just need to nurse him thru these early years.

Gee we miss Big boys contested marking. Need him back bigtime will make a huge difference.

Lynch was out there training which was good to see. Moving well.

Great to see Mitch Lewis give a mid a spray too for kicking to the wrong spot in the F50. He has a presence it is great.
Great report, thanks (even if about some worrying stuff).

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I learnt a long long time ago that a football club is only as strong as it’s seconds team are happy.

If they feel engaged, rewarded for effort and like they will be given a shot on merit, the club will be very strong on and off the field.

I’d be interested to know of your involvement with leading teams, of have you just read a lot about them?

This is an excellent call mate. Seems you have been involved at some level. I find people who have at least played some footy far more cluey to how things work within teams and clubs. Not that anyone else on here in particular doesn't have a clue, just a general thing I've picked up over the years.

I wonder though, were our seconds team happy during the 3 peat? I guess our depth was tested a lot of times and a lot of guys got a go.

ROUND 16 TEAM
Hawthorn v Greater Western Sydney
Giants Stadium
Sunday 3 July, 3.20pm

B:
James Blanck, Jack Scrimshaw, Will Day
HB: Jarman Impey, James Sicily, Blake Hardwick
C: Lachlan Bramble, James Worpel, Changkuoth Jiath
HF: Luke Breust, Mitch Lewis, Dylan Moore
F: Jacob Koschitzke, Jack Gunston, Connor Macdonald
R: Ned Reeves, Jai Newcombe, Jaeger O’Meara
INT: Harry Morrison, Conor Nash, Tom Mitchell, Sam Butler

Emer: Josh Morris, Finn Maginness, Liam Shiels, Kyle Hartigan

In: Jack Gunston, Will Day
Out: Daniel Howe (omitted), Josh Morris (medical sub)

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I learnt a long long time ago that a football club is only as strong as it’s seconds team are happy.

If they feel engaged, rewarded for effort and like they will be given a shot on merit, the club will be very strong on and off the field.

I’d be interested to know of your involvement with leading teams, of have you just read a lot about them?
It is also somewhat circular in that if the firsts are strong and winning the twos are usually fairly strong also. So the club as a whole is 'up and about' so to speak.
Twos players are also out to impress in hope of playing in a finals bound first 22.
Winning changes everything, just look at the dees.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is also somewhat circular in that if the firsts are strong and winning the twos are usually fairly strong also. So the club as a whole is 'up and about' so to speak.
Twos players are also out to impress in hope of playing in a finals bound first 22.
Winning changes everything, just look at the dees.
The Tiges in their premiership years had very strong VFL teams as well.

Box Hill was also very strong in our 3 peat years.

Shows the importance of having a strong list, need depth right through to your last player on the list.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
ROUND 16 TEAM
Hawthorn v Greater Western Sydney
Giants Stadium
Sunday 3 July, 3.20pm

B:
James Blanck, Jack Scrimshaw, Will Day
HB: Jarman Impey, James Sicily, Blake Hardwick
C: Lachlan Bramble, James Worpel, Changkuoth Jiath
HF: Luke Breust, Mitch Lewis, Dylan Moore
F: Jacob Koschitzke, Jack Gunston, Connor Macdonald
R: Ned Reeves, Jai Newcombe, Jaeger O’Meara
INT: Harry Morrison, Conor Nash, Tom Mitchell, Sam Butler

Emer: Josh Morris, Finn Maginness, Liam Shiels, Kyle Hartigan

In: Jack Gunston, Will Day
Out: Daniel Howe (omitted), Josh Morris (medical sub)
Don't mind this team at all. Backline and Forward line look very solid.

Midfield still the glaring weaknesses though which will hurt this weekend as that is where GWS are strongest (a bit like the Doggies) and we tend to struggle against these types of teams.

Bloody due a win at that ****house ground of theirs though!

Just hoping we wear the right boots for the conditions and play a wet weather style game. And that we just look to move the ball forward. Don't be cute with handballs and short kicks. Slap and punch it forward. Kick it off the ground.

Newcombe to be best on for us if we do.

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just hoping we wear the right boots for the conditions and play a wet weather style game. And that we just look to move the ball forward. Don't be cute with handballs and short kicks. Slap and punch it forward. Kick it off the ground.

Newcombe to be best on for us if we do.
Right boots or flippers ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back