Review Round 16, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches votes:

Brisbane Lions
vs
Richmond
VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)

Lachie Neale (BL)
Hugh McCluggage (BL)
Joe Daniher (BL)
Will Ashcroft (BL)
Darcy Wilmot (BL)
Conor McKenna (BL)

After a hellish day with 12 hour delays in Hoi Chi Minh airport yesterday, watching this game was more of a delight then I could possibly imagine.

Winner on every line as mentioned, but what I want to reiterate is the monumental change in game style since going to two talls. Our ball movement has been completely different moving out of D50 and into F50. So many 25m chips as we work out way through the zone and the overlap run from McKenna and Wilmot has been incredible. We have also started utilizing our wings a hell of a lot more, something has changed in the mentality of the players since Fletcher has come in. Whether it's a coaching direction or not I am not sure. But it's great to see. McCluggage winning a clearance, LOOKING straight to the wing and chipping to Fletcher was something I have never seen us do.

Our uncontested possession numbers are way up as well, it's been interesting to see it. It's almost like we have been hiding this game style against the lower teams, and now we are getting towards the back end of the year we are getting serious.

Last mentions are Bailey, I had been getting into him this week and making calls about his midfield abilities but he was great bursting through the stoppage.

I also just love watching Rayner move though players, dude is an absolute unit and is getting close to untacklable.
Maybe continually swapping Rayner and Bailey between the forward lines and midfield could work, without either of them getting blown out through too much on-ball work. They'd certainly be a tandem nightmare for other sides in both parts of the ground all the time

BRISBANE LIONS
Another game, another win for the Lions at the Gabba. But this wasn’t an ordinary victory. This was their biggest – and arguably most brutal – win of the season to date, thumping Richmond by 81 points on Thursday night. That’s now 46 wins from their past 54 games at the Gabba since 2019 for the Lions, which is quickly becoming the AFL’s toughest road trip. It was a percentage-boosting win for the Lions — they went from 121.1 per cent to 127.2 — that could help them in their quest to finish inside the top two.

In the votes
Lachie Neale has a serious love affair with Richmond. The Brownlow Medallist produced one of his best games for the season, booting 2.1 from 34 disposals, 15 contested possessions, 10 clearances and eight marks. It was the sixth time from his past 11 games against the Tigers that Neale had finished with 30-plus disposals. Joe Daniher was dangerous with 5.1 from 19 disposals, while Hugh McCluggage (34 disposals) and Will Ashcroft (27) were excellent at the coalface. Harris Andrews and the emerging Darcy Wilmot were excellent in defence and efficient when rebounding.

Room for improvement
Outside of Lincoln McCarthy’s jumper punch — which cost him a one-week ban — nothing to see here. Brisbane’s best win of the season so far.

Grade
A+

Back