Review Round 16, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

My explanation - Joe is an exceptionally good player but he doesn't actually like footy or playing footy.

It's a job, he earns great money so won't give it away.

Goes about it professionally, but isn't super focused, isn't emotionally destroyed with a loss or emotionally high with a win.

It's just footy. It's just a job.
I think that is a bit unfair on Joe TBH.
He is for the most part quite competitive, he absolutely does want to win. His personality is just a bit different that most elite athletes. I'm not sure that many players would 'enjoy' playing AFL footy if they were being honest. They want to win, they want to be the best, they want to do their part for the team. Whether they actually enjoy the games they play every weekend though? I'm not sure. He does try to enjoy himself more than nearly any player I have seen though.
I wonder with Joe, trying not to pressure himself, which may make it come off like he doesn't care or enjoy it etc. Is really what he is doing. Self pressure can be the worst kind of pressure and can completely destroy you mentally. Maybe that why despite the way he kicks at goal sometimes, he never looks like he has got the yips.
I think a lot of teams/clubs/players have put a lot of effort into not letting a loss destroy them. I don't know much about Joes Essendon days but with a lot of time for self reflection, maybe he realised that for his mental health and football, he needed to not get as emotional.

Anyone pick up on a crowd member throwing their own sherrin to froggy instead of the match game ball when it was kicked out on the full :tearsofjoy:
I saw Lester throw the ball back but didn’t know exactly what had happened.

This is the best our backline has ever looked. For me:
Andrew - key D
Payne - key D
Lester - third tall
McKenna - attacking HBF
Wilmot - HBF
Coleman -attacking HBF
Starc - BP shut down small

Looking forward:
Rich only comes in for injury for either McKenna or coleman

Gardiner comes in if any of our keys are hurt or Lester is hurt

Answerth and Ah Chee are depth for non KP defenders.
Agree on the line up but I would have Madden for McKenna or Coleman, Gardner for Lester yes, key tall is definitely the worry, can not afford to lose Payne/Andrews, I would be giving Darragh Joyce the first shot if one of them went down, did a pretty good job earlier in the year against good opposition ie. Demons and Magpies wins.

Not sure if it has been mentioned anywhere but Fagan said this morning that it was a ‘very mild’ concussion for Ah Chee and he will be back in after this week. They have tried to pick him a few times this year but he keeps getting small soft tissue stuff. Fagan reckons it is by far the best year he has had and was disappointed he couldn’t get in the team more! I for one really like Cal up forward!

Can I just say how glad I am we’re not the Richmond board? Go look at the post game thread over there, there are just as many comments talking about how terrible we are, how are team are campaigners, how we don’t deserve anything etc as there are comments about how bad Richmond played. Not to mention the people that keep calling us the Bears as if it’s some great insult lol. I may disagree with some peoples opinions on here but at least we’re not full of absolute flogs like their board.

Special shout-out to the guy that called us flat track bullies as the main reason we won, without realising by saying that he is calling Richmond a terrible team.

Not sure if this has been posted but a great interview with Fages this morning.
Certainly talking as though there is no easy path back for Gunston and Rich and he did briefly mention Lester which will make 3KZ is Football happy

He mentioned Lester first and I nearly ran into the car in front and then me acknowledged that he is too loyal to his players.

He isn't loyal to the reserve players. A question that a hard nosed interviewer could have asked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fages got prickly and really went it to bat for them when queried about the positive impact after they've been omitted, but if being as clinical and objective as possible I honestly don't see any way back for them. I get that it's only a two game sample but our team defence already seems to have improved out of sight. Structurally we look so much better and it's almost certain the youth injected into the team will only get better with more game time. I really feel for Richy as it would really sting should we make a grand final after all these years and he not be there but sometimes those ruthless decisions just need to be made to go the next step.
To be honest I wish the media would get over their dropping... no one ask's weekly when Lyons is coming back, the whole thing has become farcical.

Last edited:
After a hellish day with 12 hour delays in Hoi Chi Minh airport yesterday, watching this game was more of a delight then I could possibly imagine.

Winner on every line as mentioned, but what I want to reiterate is the monumental change in game style since going to two talls. Our ball movement has been completely different moving out of D50 and into F50. So many 25m chips as we work out way through the zone and the overlap run from McKenna and Wilmot has been incredible. We have also started utilizing our wings a hell of a lot more, something has changed in the mentality of the players since Fletcher has come in. Whether it's a coaching direction or not I am not sure. But it's great to see. McCluggage winning a clearance, LOOKING straight to the wing and chipping to Fletcher was something I have never seen us do.

Our uncontested possession numbers are way up as well, it's been interesting to see it. It's almost like we have been hiding this game style against the lower teams, and now we are getting towards the back end of the year we are getting serious.

Last mentions are Bailey, I had been getting into him this week and making calls about his midfield abilities but he was great bursting through the stoppage.

I also just love watching Rayner move though players, dude is an absolute unit and is getting close to untacklable.

100% disagree. As I said at the time, based on the Adel game only, Gardiner wasn't getting dropped for the Haw game. He performed better (for mine), in that game, and deserved to be retained (and this isn't about Gardiner v Lester overall, per se).

That being said, clearly Lester has made every post a winner since getting back in once again, and isn't getting dropped based on current form. The overall mix is working well, and we have a lot of flexibility, too.

Rich and Gunston, regardless of how it was communicated, has clearly been the right thing to do, for a number of reasons.

Without looking at the stats, I'm not convinced we're not getting picked off in the air a bit too much in our F50 (without the additional tall), and am concerned about Coll and Melb's aerial ability down back, but it may overall be a fair trade off to allow us to cover the ground better defensively (as others on here have stated).
The issue with your post is that Lester is allowed to have one average to poor game before being dropped while Gardiner has been allowed to have then consistently.

Back