Review Round 16, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue with your post is that Lester is allowed to have one average to poor game before being dropped while Gardiner has been allowed to have then consistently.

Except who was replacing Gardiner when he had a bad one? We haven't exactly had tall defenders banging the door down in the reserves over the years. Fine and well to drop someone, but you need to replace them with someone who is likely to perform better.

Gardiner was clearly higher up the pecking order (ie, "credits in the bank"), until Lester's recent burst of form. I still think the right decision was made at the time after the Adelaide game.

It's all academic now - Gardiner's quad saw to that, and the rest is history.

Can I just say how glad I am we’re not the Richmond board? Go look at the post game thread over there, there are just as many comments talking about how terrible we are, how are team are campaigners, how we don’t deserve anything etc as there are comments about how bad Richmond played. Not to mention the people that keep calling us the Bears as if it’s some great insult lol. I may disagree with some peoples opinions on here but at least we’re not full of absolute flogs like their board.

Special shout-out to the guy that called us flat track bullies as the main reason we won, without realising by saying that he is calling Richmond a terrible team.
I absolutely hate when they call us the Bears .

Except who was replacing Gardiner when he had a bad one? We haven't exactly had tall defenders banging the door down in the reserves over the years. Fine and well to drop someone, but you need to replace them with someone who is likely to perform better.

Gardiner was clearly higher up the pecking order (ie, "credits in the bank"), until Lester's recent burst of form. I still think the right decision was made at the time after the Adelaide game.

It's all academic now - Gardiner's quad saw to that, and the rest is history.
Lester has been there the entire time, Payne was offering just as much if not more than Gardiner before he became a lock for the first 22. Gardiner hasn’t been in good form for quite a while unfortunately but the coaches were never prepared to go with someone else unless he was injured. If they came in and performed as good or better than Gardiner had been, they were still dropped.

I’ll generally give taunting the benefit of the doubt due to having no insight as to what is said on field. Dunstall or anyone who’s played the game should understand this.

Lester has been there the entire time, Payne was offering just as much if not more than Gardiner before he became a lock for the first 22. Gardiner hasn’t been in good form for quite a while unfortunately but the coaches were never prepared to go with someone else unless he was injured. If they came in and performed as good or better than Gardiner had been, they were still dropped.

Don't agree.

Lester of previous years wasn't performing nearly as well (and when he did get a go, he was a whipping boy on here at times), as the Lester of this year - he wasn't pushing Gardiner out.

We were never going to play Adams, Payne and Andrews in the same team consistently (and Adams's misfortune may be the making of Payne, as it happens).

I struggle to think of anyone else he was keeping out of the team in the recent past?

Saying Gardiner "hasn't been in good form for a while" is a fallacy - you only need to go back to the Prelim last year to see when he was (rightly) B.O.G. for us. Not saying he was great the whole of last year (granted, he did have some up and down moments), but I'll say again, rightly or wrongly, he had credits in the bank which meant he would get picked ahead of someone else performing at the same level (ie, he'd get backed in to perform at the higher level he had previously).

It remains to be seen whether the wheel will turn again, and he gets back in on relative form (v Lester or anyone else). Whilst I hope he does for his sake (considering the tough times he's been through), I'm not fussed from a team/club standpoint - we're clearly up and about at the moment, and I'm relatively happy with the mix we have (notwithstanding some doubt over our tall forward setup).

Anyone notice how Ashcroft always goes for the snap when he’s going for goal from open play?

My explanation - Joe is an exceptionally good player but he doesn't actually like footy or playing footy.

It's a job, he earns great money so won't give it away.

Goes about it professionally, but isn't super focused, isn't emotionally destroyed with a loss or emotionally high with a win.

It's just footy. It's just a job.

Joe enjoys his footy IMO just doesn't like to take it too seriously or work too hard. When he does those things though look out oppo teams

Can I just say how glad I am we’re not the Richmond board? Go look at the post game thread over there, there are just as many comments talking about how terrible we are, how are team are campaigners, how we don’t deserve anything etc as there are comments about how bad Richmond played. Not to mention the people that keep calling us the Bears as if it’s some great insult lol. I may disagree with some peoples opinions on here but at least we’re not full of absolute flogs like their board.

Special shout-out to the guy that called us flat track bullies as the main reason we won, without realising by saying that he is calling Richmond a terrible team.

Flog central that Richmond board. Lucky to find one sensible post per page. They better get use to posting after losses as they will be encountering quite a few for some years to come.

That’s* pretty standard across all boards.

We also comment on other teams, quite a few posters here have commented on Richmond being full of campaigners as well.

*that we are flat track bullies, and most supporters on other club boards don’t rate us as genuine contenders.

That’s* pretty standard across all boards.

We also comment on other teams, quite a few posters here have commented on Richmond being full of campaigners as well.

*that we are flat track bullies, and most supporters on other club boards don’t rate us as genuine contenders.
I don't go on other team's boards very often but when I do I discover things about our players I did not know - apparently Fages, Neale, Bailey, McCluggage, Berry etc are all utter campaigners (Zorko and Matho too but I knew they thought that).

And here was me thinking that they were kind of nice guys!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there actually a definition of the word "campaigner" that all BigFooty users can agree on? I didn't come here much in the wilderness years but since I've come back it's campaigner this and campaigner that

Is there actually a definition of the word "campaigner" that all BigFooty users can agree on? I didn't come here much in the wilderness years but since I've come back it's campaigner this and campaigner that
Goes back to the time Eddie called Kane Cornes an "old 'see you next Tuesday'" on one of his failed FoxFooty shows. Edward defended himself by claiming he was tongue tied and what he'd meant to say was "old campaigner"; hence c-word = campaigner.

Something like that anyway.

Could Matthew Richardson be our number 1 ticket holder?

72673035-0-image-a-20_1688049641271.jpg

Is there a link to the whole segment? All I can find is up to them saying Swanny is coming and then this short gf - would love to see the bit in the middle...

I watched this on Kayo on Friday but assume it's gone now. Was brilliant when they kept playing the lions theme song as Richo was talking and then he stormed off saying he'd had enough. Hodgey called him a sore loser.

The attendance of 30,022 on a Thursday night was a good result.
I think if we hold our form the Lions will again get a few Thursday night games next year.
Quiet a few fans probably don't like Thursday night games, but the AFL want more for TV ratings.
It also allows the AFL a better timeslot for another game over the weekend.
Year 2023
R 3 - Dogs (L) - Marvel - 23,665
R 4 - Pies (W) - Gabba - 33,565 Easter Thursday
R 16 Tigers (W) - Gabba - 30,022

Year 2022
R 5 - Pies (W) - Gabba - 32,312 Easter Thursday
R 15- Demons (L) - MCG - 37,728
R 16 Dogs (W) - Gabba - 25,011
EF - Tigers (W) -Gabba - 35,013

Last night's team was the best balanced team we've had in all year. McKenna ,Wilmot and Lester are giving us that spark we've been missing for 4 years.

Of course it helps when your m/f has a day out.

The only player you could possibly consider as forcing their way into this lineup , barring injuries , is Zorko.
Our backline is moving the ball on quickly and we have moved away from slow assessment of options before a predictable kick down the line to a contest.

The attendance of 30,022 on a Thursday night was a good result.
I think if we hold our form the Lions will again get a few Thursday night games next year.
Quiet a few fans probably don't like Thursday night games, but the AFL want more for TV ratings.
It also allows the AFL a better timeslot for another game over the weekend.
Year 2023
R 3 - Dogs (L) - Marvel - 23,665
R 4 - Pies (W) - Gabba - 33,565 Easter Thursday
R 16 Tigers (W) - Gabba - 30,022

Year 2022
R 5 - Pies (W) - Gabba - 32,312 Easter Thursday
R 15- Demons (L) - MCG - 37,728
R 16 Dogs (W) - Gabba - 25,011
EF - Tigers (W) -Gabba - 35,013

It’s obviously selfish but the Thursday games really suck for people who have to travel a fair way to the Gabba. Hope they keep it to one or two a year max.

Back