Autopsy Round 16, 2023 : Hawks get the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand the logic by the coaches. We got Weddle in to play with run and carry. When he does that he looks the goods. Then we make him match up on key backs because Scrimshaw can't do the job. So we lose Weddle's spark so that Scrimshaw can slow down play.
Lmao, was nothing to do with Scrimshaw. Frost was the man Weddle swapped with.

Sesame Street Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki

Really was a rough day at the footy today for me TBH.

Got caught in a hellish traffic jam over the west gate bridge on the way to the game.

Took ages to find a seat at the ground as we rocked up late due to the traffic.

Had to sit through a cod ordinary game by the Hawks

Then to top it all off I bought quite possibly the worst hotdog I have ever had from a dodgy food van out front of the arts centre on my way home

That last decision could be one I regret in the coming days 🤢
Feel for you lad. Rotten day.

Lmao, was nothing to do with Scrimshaw. Frost was the man Weddle swapped with.
If that is the case then it has everything to do with Scrimshaw cause he couldn't cover for Frost. Scrimshaw is supposedly covering for Sicily but cannot stop a key back and cannot take the game on.

If that is the case then it has everything to do with Scrimshaw cause he couldn't cover for Frost. Scrimshaw is supposedly covering for Sicily but cannot stop a key back and cannot take the game on.
What are you on about. Scrimshaw was fine.

Wingard was pretty good whenever he got it. he gets a lot of easy marks 80m from goal and tends to make good decisions from there.

The team sheet looked so much like our early season line ups - and we played like it too.
Thought he was good with the ball. Breust and Wingard in the same forward line though makes it easy for the opposition to walk it out

Chad was far from our worst today.
I have been as harsh a critic of Chad as anyone this year but I gave him a vote in the Yabby. Actually laid a couple of nice tackles to go with some creative ball use.

Still problematic to have a forward line containing Bruest, Wingard and Greene though. Not sure that mix will ever work.

Wingard was pretty good whenever he got it. he gets a lot of easy marks 80m from goal and tends to make good decisions from there.

The team sheet looked so much like our early season line ups - and we played like it too.
Only 55% disposal efficiency and 5 turnovers from his 18 disposals.

I thought he did some really creative things with ball in hand. But also was pretty hit and miss.

Not our worst. But given all he offers is his ball use and smarts now. He needs to tighten his disposal a little.

Thought he was good with the ball. Breust and Wingard in the same forward line though makes it easy for the opposition to walk it out

This was the crux of it for me. Wingard is capable of that manic pressure we used to see from him more often, for some reason we just don’t see it and he coasts around not really being responsible for anything. Nice ball user sometimes but playing that half forward role when he doesn’t get 15+ touches he is made to look awful

I don't understand the logic by the coaches. We got Weddle in to play with run and carry. When he does that he looks the goods. Then we make him match up on key backs because Scrimshaw can't do the job. So we lose Weddle's spark so that Scrimshaw can slow down play.

Get him on a wing or Half Back Flank and let him run.

A tough to watch game with no forward pressure, midfield outworked and made to look second rate with Newcombe held (in every sense of that word... seriously, if we can see it from the TV they have to see it at the ground).

Whatever we're trying with the midfield isn't working if there's a method to not working as hard. I felt like Lewis was beaten but kept trying, which was super positive. We hardly did him any favors with clean ball though.

If it's plain workmate related, then we've got to address it moving forward, or some guys need a rest. It's noticeable that our opponents are trying harder the past two games, and a little embarrassing to watch at times. We need to get Newcombe involved somewhere else if teams are going to tag him. Hard to work that to our advantage with him going forward if we play like we did though.

One thing that MacKenzie brings is quick, two way running. We missed him, along with Sic.

We really should have done better with dominant rucks, but our mids just weren't there yesterday for whatever reason.

But these are the traits of a developing team, big drop offs in workmate and consistency. If Newc and MacDonald can work through the attention they're earning it will be better for us down the track, same with Lewis. Was really impressed with how hard he kept trying despite being up against it with JW.

Weddle looked a bit pensive wit the ball in hand, I think he's going to improve out of sight with a bit more confidence. You can tell he's a thinker, just need to get it working for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn’t make it today as I had a 1st bday but just finished watching the replay. I really hope we show improvement next year on these sorts of games. We either win or lose by 10 goals, it has to be all in the head. Reeves is wearing thin on me, he offers absolutely nothing around the ground, at least meek has a bloody crack.
Also, I hope no body takes this the wrong way but we are the hawthorn football club, our home jumper is a vertical brown and gold stripe, why are we wearing the indigenous jumper
I'm here for the rebuild....but I'm kind of getting the feeling we might be re-building to an 'around the top 8 side' as opposed to 'one of the best teams to play the game'. Our form comes and goes...we can muster up an occasional great game, but more often than not we collectively go missing for a quarter, or a half.
2nd half score (haven't seen it) says if we play with purpose we can get things done. At times in the first half it was like the guys didn't know where to go...In the 2nd quarter just before I left for work, I saw some dudes just kind of jogging around to empty space in our forward 50 once a turnover had happened. Handball skills are down; we've lost the elite kicking style we used to be famous for. That kind of thing.
Let's see what next year brings.

Lol...I DO have the
This was the crux of it for me. Wingard is capable of that manic pressure we used to see from him more often, for some reason we just don’t see it and he coasts around not really being responsible for anything. Nice ball user sometimes but playing that half forward role when he doesn’t get 15+ touches he is made to look awful
I think the issue with Wingard is that for the money he is apparently being paid and given his experience level relative to most of the rest of the team, being serviceable isn’t really enough. He should be a leading player for us, not someone who can merely justify his selection from week to week.

A tough to watch game with no forward pressure, midfield outworked and made to look second rate with Newcombe held (in every sense of that word... seriously, if we can see it from the TV they have to see it at the ground).

Whatever we're trying with the midfield isn't working if there's a method to not working as hard. I felt like Lewis was beaten but kept trying, which was super positive. We hardly did him any favors with clean ball though.

If it's plain workmate related, then we've got to address it moving forward, or some guys need a rest. It's noticeable that our opponents are trying harder the past two games, and a little embarrassing to watch at times. We need to get Newcombe involved somewhere else if teams are going to tag him. Hard to work that to our advantage with him going forward if we play like we did though.

One thing that MacKenzie brings is quick, two way running. We missed him, along with Sic.

We really should have done better with dominant rucks, but our mids just weren't there yesterday for whatever reason.

But these are the traits of a developing team, big drop offs in workmate and consistency. If Newc and MacDonald can work through the attention they're earning it will be better for us down the track, same with Lewis. Was really impressed with how hard he kept trying despite being up against it with JW.

Weddle looked a bit pensive wit the ball in hand, I think he's going to improve out of sight with a bit more confidence. You can tell he's a thinker, just need to get it working for him.

We looked stuck at stages off half back, he clearly noticed this and was trying to break a line through defensive 50 to create a different look for us. He made a couple of poor decisions with his kick but really hard to knock him for it.

Then to top it all off I bought quite possibly the worst hotdog I have ever had from a dodgy food van out front of the arts centre on my way home

Take two tablespoons of papaya seeds if you're tummy is still no good.

An old Thai remedy that has served me well.

Oh, if it's a tummy virus it won't work. Only works if its food poisoning / bacteria

We looked stuck at stages off half back, he clearly noticed this and was trying to break a line through defensive 50 to create a different look for us. He made a couple of poor decisions with his kick but really hard to knock him for it.

He's a match winner in the making, takes it on when other wouldn't and gets himself to dangerous positions with ball in hand. On top of that he's a pack marking half back or midfielder capable of covering a key position forward when required.

Not knocking him, more saying he's going to be better for the experience of pulling a few kicks when he was unsure where to go.

Really was a rough day at the footy today for me TBH.

Got caught in a hellish traffic jam over the west gate bridge on the way to the game.

Took ages to find a seat at the ground as we rocked up late due to the traffic.

Had to sit through a cod ordinary game by the Hawks

The hotdogs are always bad.

Unfortunately no sausage rolls available till after half time. 😕

Looking positively I am sure we will be better with Sicily, Impey, Brockman and CJ back in the side. We just looked so lethargic yesterday and badly outworked by Carlton. I hope we try DGB and/or Ryan forward as we need another marking presence forward to free up Lewis. The resting rucks and Greene are not enough of a threat to achieve this.
I don’t know if DGB or Ryan will make a difference but other options have been tried without success.
Midwinter has always been the time when the form of some younger players drops a little so maybe rewarding good Box Hill form is warranted to see how some perform at the higher level.
Unfortunately Sicily has another week to go but I think Impey Brockman, CJ and DGB would put a bit of energy into the mix at the very least.

Only 55% disposal efficiency and 5 turnovers from his 18 disposals.

I thought he did some really creative things with ball in hand. But also was pretty hit and miss.

Not our worst. But given all he offers is his ball use and smarts now. He needs to tighten his disposal a little.
A couple of his kicks inside 50 were intercepted but you could see that our forwards were just slow to react.

I'm pretty critical of Wingard usually, but didn't think he did a lot wrong yesterday.

We can really only play one of Breust and Wingard IMO. Both lack defensive accountability, not from a lack of trying. Greene is the cherry on top.

Carlton were just walking it out of the back 50.

What are you on about. Scrimshaw was fine.
Stop looking at stats and start looking at the structure. Scrimshaw hasn't been getting game because his role is taken by Seamus and Weddle. He was brought back in for Sicily. However, we throw Weddle to the wolves because Scrimshaw can't do that role. And Weddle can't do it either. So now we lose both coverage for Sicily and the run and carry of Weddle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back