Preview Round 16 - Bombers vs Swans - Saturday 02 Jul @ 1:45pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jmac will walk back in only change imo
Out with Covid - doubtful he'll be back in.

Edit: Both JMac & Cunningham out with COVID - not just close contact. This means they'll be unable to train until their test comes back negative I reckon.
Edit Edit: Damn you Horse, you couldn't have released this news an hour earlier.... Now both are available for this weekend.

Last edited:

Edit: Both JMac & Cunningham out with COVID - not just close contact. This means they'll be unable to train until their test comes back negative I reckon.

Thought it was a close contact only. Bummer!

Cunningham should not have been brought back without some ressies form. Even Horse should have learned that lesson.

This. He’s not Franklin. Been a glaring issue for ages us playing blokes off layoffs. It never works

Not as promising for Ladhams, some pretty unsubtle words there.

Huh? I'm keeping Florent at half back / in defence, where he should play. I'm not saying Cunningham is a must in, I said that, I get he's down on form, I said that. I'm just saying that he's valuable in a variety of positions, worth having in the team over some others. Having watched each game, there's been a couple he's been decent in and I know the difference between the words "symptom" and "cause" when it comes to everyone blaming the defence when we've lost or performed poorly. For someone of Harry's standing, I don't think staying out of the team for longer than necessary is warranted, when the same standard is not applied elsewhere.

FWIW - at the start of the year if you asked me to pick the team in order, Harry would have been in the first 10 picked, such is his value. He's not some fringe player we drop after a couple of poor weeks (if we actually did that consistently).

The reserves are where you find form not in the AFL. Playing out of form players has hurt us all season. No one should be immune to finding form in the reserves- Nat Fyfe did it for crying out loud. If he’s that good he wouldn’t be there for months but a few weeks would do him the world of good.

Re: changes - assuming they've recovered, JMac and Cunningham will be considered available. There hasn't been many that have had more than the 1 week off. That said, I agree that JMac was down on form, so wouldn't mind giving him a week in reserves as a gentle reminder. Cunningham came in after the bye off zero game time anywhere, so if he's considered fit, they'll bring him in. I'd say for Campbell at this stage, is more likely. Though Hayward should be under the pump too, and it'd be another good statement to make. I wouldn't drop him, but feel like Logan is on the cusp of another reserves stint. Bell led the way in disposals, clearances, inside 50s and 2nd in tackles in the 2nds, so there's always that possibility too (I definitely wouldn't).

Stephens must stay in. I was annoyed when we dropped him earlier last year after a decent game, then again after 1 poor week this year (vs the Dogs, where everyone was). Clarke can get another run on Hind or someone like that.

I'd be fine with leaving things as they are, giving JMac and Cunningham 3 quarters in reserves if they've recovered. I wouldn't cry about Amartey in for Logan either. I don't like the change at face value, but form is form. They might just bring Ladhams straight back in, but I'd give him an extra week off for stupidity. I know many on here don't want the 2 rucks together, but we're not the coaches, and I don't think they have the same aversion. I'd reward Amartey though.

Reckon Taylor will drop back to reserves, with one of Campbell (if JMac or Cunners is back) or Bell as sub.
At the merest mention of anyone making way for Bell, I curl up in the foetal position and rock back and forth, muttering incoherently.

I bet you said Cameron wasn’t AFL standard but he is keeping Collingwood competitive. Amartey is playing better than McLean at the moment and is a Reid hamstring twinge away from being a regular. He may or not be a star, but he is the next best option we have.

And Logan is still very young and will probably benefit from being managed.

We had the bye two weeks ago, why does Logan need a rest?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was asking that same question. Given that McLean was also out and quite a few staff I'm guessing close contact rather than actual COVID. If so, that will give the selectors some very testing conundrums.
Easy: Ladhams in the 2s. Hickey was close to his best against a good player and will be better for the run. Ladhams needs to demonstrate maturity as well as playing well. Reid doing well as the cut out.
Amartey stays in 2s. Logan will benefit from this game and might kick a few. Amartey has kicked goals against weakish opponents.
Not easy:
Stephens, Fox and Clarke played super games and deserve to stay in.
Harry has the weakest case for inclusion and maybe was rushed back. Play 2s.
Braeden was #22 of the players and goes to the 2s if McInerney is fit.
Clarke stays in the squad and moves to medi-sub.
Campbell and Clarke could swap.

I agree Clarke played a super game and deserves to stay in.
I don't agree he should move to medi-sub.
He was given the pressure forward role and he played it to perfection, and we are off the Bell/Wicks/Ronke merry go round.

I'm happy to keep team as is. Clarke, Fox, Stephens and to a lesser extent Campbell either surpassed expectations or at least did what was required. JMac and Harry have been in average form and neither really have the runs on the board for this season to warrant automatic re-inclusion.

Having said all that, wouldn't surprise to see both back in for Campbell and Stephens. Amartey might get a look in given his sensational VFL form for McDonald but I think that this would be unnecessary given Logan has been pretty solid and needs to develop at the top level.

The reserves are where you find form not in the AFL. Playing out of form players has hurt us all season. No one should be immune to finding form in the reserves- Nat Fyfe did it for crying out loud. If he’s that good he wouldn’t be there for months but a few weeks would do him the world of good.
Fyfe missed the last part of last year, and the first half of this year. Not exactly the same situation. No one should be immune to being dropped yes, I just don't think Harry has been bad enough for long enough. I reached that point with Lloyd a few weeks ago as an example (although he and Ollie emerged from average form despite not being dropped). The thing with Harry though is that we had no replacements (or experienced backup which even Nick Smith had), and he got injured about the time that COR and Fox got back from injury, so even if he was diabolical every game (he wasn't), who are you dropping him for, that would play the small defender role less diabolically? We were already playing Campbell there, and tried Florent out a couple of times (with some success).

Anyway, if we give him a week in reserves to get some confidence back, sure that's fine (I said that). If we bring him in, even to play outside of defence, that's fine too, he'll do more than say Campbell or Hayward (although with Campbell I really think we just need to plonk him at half forward for a few weeks straight, since that's a role that he grew up playing).

Horse should print this out and plaster it on each player's locker this week.

View attachment 1434330

JPK; "Horse, the players have asked me to speak on their behalf and just to reinforce that we greatly respect you as a leader, as a coach and most importantly as a person and that we hope you continue as Senior Coach for many a year"

PLAYERS unanimously "Hear, hear, three cheers for Horse" (provided cloth caps suitably doffed)

LONGMIRE; "Well thanks lads I wasn't expecting that and I've got to say I'm a bit emotional.
However we really need to get onto this week's game and as motivation I've got this handout on who David King and especially Gerard Wheatley think are the current top teams.

PLAYERS unanimously "David King and ******* Gerard Whateley? Piss off Longmire you w***er.

Try the Londern Tavern. About a 10-15 minute walk from the ground. Good Parma's if that's your go but last time I was there they had a great wagyu burger with beetroot, rocket and cheese as well.

You guys are gonna get us. We're no good.
I'll see that and raise you Black n Gold just down the road from London Tavern. Best toasties in Melbourne. If not Australia. Luke Jackson agrees.

LT is great for a pint.

* we stay 30 seconds walk from LT. The beer garden gets loud when the swans beat the tiges.
** so loud it woke my daughter.
Toastie pic. Screenshot_20220627-183549_Gallery.jpg

I'm happy to keep team as is. Clarke, Fox, Stephens and to a lesser extent Campbell either surpassed expectations or at least did what was required. JMac and Harry have been in average form and neither really have the runs on the board for this season to warrant automatic re-inclusion.

Having said all that, wouldn't surprise to see both back in for Campbell and Stephens. Amartey might get a look in given his sensational VFL form for McDonald but I think that this would be unnecessary given Logan has been pretty solid and needs to develop at the top level.
Stephens, Fox and Clarke would feel hard done by if they got dropped after this weekends effort. And I'd agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back