Opinion Round 16 Changes vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I just think the sub role is a bit of a joke anyway. So if that's the only spot Suban is taking up it doesn't really worry me that much. I don't think anyone gets much development by only playing a quarter of football.
A quater of football for kids in afl is like 2 quater of wafl.

A quater of football for kids in afl is like 2 quater of wafl.

Which is still pretty poor.

Not to mention that the sub usually comes on when everyone else is buggered, not exactly a great lesson in the intensity of AFL games.

Assuming I've interpreted that right, do you really think Ross is really that stupid? I mean really?

Vent frustration all you want, I'm OK with this being a place for the occasional meltdown - but for your own sanity's sake, try to be a bit rational about things.

Rational, perhaps you can explain why Ross doesnt play youth?

They're not ready is a bs excuse and you know it. Statement has no foundation if you don't play them.

Ross likes to tank 1 game a year, but its also to show case why he doesnt give other chances.

No forecast for rain in the evening and only light falls anyway. I think the weather will be ok, ground a bit slippery. No excuse for people not getting along to support our players through this rough patch.

Neale, Crozier, Sutcliffe, Spurr, Sheridan, Tabs, A. Pearce....All were youth when Ross took over and played them ;)!!

Lee Spurr is 27. Sutcliffe is 23. Pearce and Taberner are only playing because we have nobody else.

Lachie Neale had about the best season you could imagine from a young bloke in 2013 and Lyon dropped him for the Grand Final.

Sheridan and Crozier have each played 26-27 games in the 4 years since they have been drafted.

Lachie Neale had about the best season you could imagine from a young bloke in 2013 and Lyon dropped him for the Grand Final.

Pretty sure he played in the GF mate. He was the sub however, didn't come on until 4th quarter IIRC, which was a poor move from RTB.

Lee Spurr is 27. Sutcliffe is 23. Pearce and Taberner are only playing because we have nobody else.

Sheridan and Crozier have each played 26-27 games in the 4 years since they have been drafted.

Exactly, its out of necessity rather than giving young players a fair go.

And to be honest I think Sheridan/Crozier are also getting games for contract renewal reasons. If the more experienced blokes are good form come finals, they will get picked.

Neale so did not play the "best season you could imagine".. He was good but his worst wasn't AFL standard. Alex Pearce is chopping it up as backup defender and probably making Ross think a bit in that regard.
Croizer has had to compete in the same position with Mayne and Ballas (who know Ross' gameplan) hence no margin for error. Sheridan on the other hand is meh. We have the same types in Duffield.

Bringing in a raw youngster to Ross' gameplan always takes a fortnight if not longer for them to adjust. Hawthorn have had the luxury of selecting players with talent already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale so did not play the "best season you could imagine".. He was good but his worst wasn't AFL standard. Alex Pearce is chopping it up as backup defender and probably making Ross think a bit in that regard.
Croizer has had to compete in the same position with Mayne and Ballas (who know Ross' gameplan) hence no margin for error. Sheridan on the other hand is meh. We have the same types in Duffield.

Bringing in a raw youngster to Ross' gameplan always takes a fortnight if not longer for them to adjust. Hawthorn have had the luxury of selecting players with talent already.
Just quietly, we have 3 or 4 highly talented youngsters in the 2's. Ross don't play the youth, can't figure out why

I'm holding out hope that we didn't want to make too many changes in one week and next week the ins will be Dawson and Weller and the outs Suban and De Boer. Then the team will be taking shape for the finals.

From there bring Clancee back when he's found some form, debut Blakely and Langdon for a game or three and bring Jonno back when he's ready. Bingo!

I know, I know, I'm dreaming...!

I'm holding out hope that we didn't want to make too many changes in one week and next week the ins will be Dawson and Weller and the outs Suban and De Boer. Then the team will be taking shape for the finals.

From there bring Clancee back when he's found some form, debut Blakely and Langdon for a game or three and bring Jonno back when he's ready. Bingo!

I think it's too late for many debuts this year. We should have had 2 in from round 1 IMHO.

Might have a few for St Kilda game in a few weeks time ;)
Can see debutants in a fortnight against GWS. If that's not the game for it then what game will?

The current state of play:

On the Freo BF board: "Changes, changes, changes...we must make changes".

At RTB's house (Monopoly game in progress): RTB (to self) "Do I put a second house on Whitechapel Rd? I put one on there about an hour ago...risky...maybe in another hour or so."

We've had ample opportunity for debuts. If you can't do it against the worst teams in the comp (Brisbane, Carlton, Gold Coast), then it's just not going to happen.

Especially this week, against a woeful side, and with reason to change things up after a flogging the week before.

I've given up on any new faces in 2015. Will only happen with a long injury count or resting players in Rd 23 if our position is locked in.

We've had ample opportunity for debuts. If you can't do it against the worst teams in the comp (Brisbane, Carlton, Gold Coast), then it's just not going to happen.

Especially this week, against a woeful side, and with reason to change things up after a flogging the week before.

I've given up on any new faces in 2015. Will only happen with a long injury count or resting players in Rd 23 if our position is locked in.
If we weren't coming off a 72 point hiding as well as a dip in form then sure we would be debuting a few. But right now we need to figure out the forward structure as well as midfield. Freo haven't played as a team in a fair while and no time like now to do that tomorrow night.

I'm out of here.The lunatics have taken over the asylum.Doom gloom and more flopping doom.The club has never been in a stronger position.
The sooks , defeatists and trolls on here are sucking the life out of enjoying what is a great season.
Any one who has a positive attitude is howled down or given the sycophant tag.
I love the club,all the players and I love what Ross,Bond and the Steves are doing.I am enjoying being a Freo supporter.
I'll see the mates I made on here at the GF.

I'll be catching up with you soon for a scotch or two at a peel game or three.

You can discuss the reasons for it, and perhaps the reasons are fair enough. But when people say "Ross Lyon doesn't play youth", they are mostly correct. So it's getting pretty boring reading the same posters quoting the opposite, as if the fact that 2 guys who have been on our list since 2011 are getting a game every 2nd week or so in 2015 is proof that Ross plays youth.

Fremantle has less youth in their team than any other team in the AFL. We had 1 player in our team last week who was drafted after 2011. One. And that one was Alex Pearce, who was a forced changed given that our 3 first choice key defenders were all injured.

Croizer has had to compete in the same position with Mayne and Ballas (who know Ross' gameplan) hence no margin for error. .

Mayne was awful last year and continues to be awful this year so I'm not really sure how this advances your argument. Mayne is the prototypical example of an older bloke getting a game over younger blokes for no particular reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back