Prediction Round 16: Changes Vs Port Adelaide + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We got proper belted around the contest. No genuine options to come back through the 2s. Maybe some pace around the middle would be good. Not really any options there, unless Clark gets a run in there which I would be all for.
Just need to cop that one on the chin, accept everyone got flogged in there and hope for a response against port.
Can’t single out any one player.
Totally agree Dayts on Clark: Regardless of whether Fyfe gradually builds form and Mundy just needs a rest, they and Brodie will never get any quicker. Besides our midfielders getting sucked into the ball and Blue Bagger mids sticking wide, the most glaring deficiency within the glaring midfield contest deficiency, was pace especially when Fyfe/Barra and Brodie all lined up. Johnson doesnt really solve that problem nor Erasmus. I was particularly struck on the weekend with how sharp and quick off the mark Clark is and he is nimble and a brilliant penetrative long kick. Im wondering if he could have shortish stints in there with Brayshaw, Serong and ONE of Mundy/Fyfe and Brodie - instead of Aish who they still use on occasions.
This is the year to think outside the square. They did it once with Logue forward which I think has legs, now lets get some true pace into the midfield. Its either Clark or Switta for me. And give Dayts a consultancy role on selection.

Port are a solid unit and looked good today
Completely towelled us last time we played , made us look stupid .

OUT IN

Mundy > Crowden / Blakely
Freddy > Sturt ( he’ll probably get destroyed but Freddy needs a rocket )
Hughes > Chapman ( is he ready ?

Logue forward
Hughes or Freddy - Sub

Why are we looking for a replacement for Colyer? He's solid and reliable. Does his job.

If we want to replace, I'd start with MIA Freddy.
We aren't looking for a replacement yet but he is getting old and Western will most likely be competing for his spot.

I don't understand why people are singling out Freddy. We've seen what he's capable of so we need to persist with him. He is still young so you should expect inconsistency. The whole team was s**t par a few players, singling out Freddy isn't fair.

I wish Fyfe spent a couple more weeks in the WAFL because it would now look terrible to send him back.
I also think it would now be a difficult choice to drop Mundy from the PA game however he could probably have breaks for the away games.
I think the biggest concern with the game was not changing our game plan when it was needed - Aish should have gone to Walsh etc etc.

This week I wouldn't change too much but would like to see Erasmus get a game - not the best disposal but great pressure and knows how to read the play. If Walters is fit then he must come in, Crowden surely deserves a go.

In Erasmus, Walters, Crowden
Out Colyer, Banfield, Fyfe

Fyfe becomes medi-sub --> that would be music to ears of The Worst Australian --> they would dedicate 10 pages to the story with another Baby Nic Nat story as the cream and cherry on top
Fyfes not going to be medisub! He needs to run, a lot. He plays seniors or Magoos but he plays and we hope like hell he improves 5% every week for the next 8 weeks.

Fyfes not going to be medisub! He needs to run, a lot. He plays seniors or Magoos but he plays and we hope like hell he improves 5% every week for the next 8 weeks.
It doesn't matter how much he improves tbh, playing all three of Brodie, Mundy and Fyfe is not compatible. All three are damn good players but too slow in the contest and don't tackle enough. Considering that's what our whole gameplan is based off, quick ball movement and pressure, we are going to have some problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injury/suspension or the return of a first choice player seem to be the only reasons changes are made since early in the season.

It appears that the coaches have settled on:

B: Ryan, Pearce, Cox
B: Young, Chapman, Clark
C: Aish, Brayshaw, Acres
F: Walters, Taberner, Switkowski
F: Logue, Lobb, Schultz
R: Darcy, Serong, Brodie

IC: Fyfe, Mundy, Frederick, Colyer
Sub: Banfield

As the prefered 22.

Preferred depth: Walker, O'Driscoll, Tucker,

Fringe: Hughes, Treacy, Erasmus, Henry, Crowden, Sturt, Amiss

Break glass in case of emergency: Hamling, Wilson, Kuek, Johnson, Worner, Benning

Never: Blakely,

Dont think that was the issue.
Logue needed to go forward with the two. The structure wasn’t right and the smalls were poor around the packs. It’s not up to Lobb or Tabs to stop Saad or Docuherty, it’s up to Frederick, Banfield, Schulz. They’d didn’t pressure at all
Playing 2 lumbering forwards doesn't work at Marvel. You look at the teams who do well there.

You can't ask 4 small forwards to chase 6 defenders. Blues played a mobile back 6 and destroyed us on the rebound.

McKay laid 5 tackles and Curnow is super mobile, so Carlton's front half worked really well.

I just think at Marvel you can get away with carrying one of Taberner or Lobb, but you can't play both, as was evident.

Freddy's not getting dropped, and especially not for sturt. Had back to back career best games before he ducked up and just about every one yesterday was poor.
Agree. Young players need continuity.

Freddy missed 2 weeks - that's a long time in a young player's footy life.

He's basically starting again.

Playing 2 lumbering forwards doesn't work at Marvel. You look at the teams who do well there.

You can't ask 4 small forwards to chase 6 defenders. Blues played a mobile back 6 and destroyed us on the rebound.

McKay laid 5 tackles and Curnow is super mobile, so Carlton's front half worked really well.

I just think at Marvel you can get away with carrying one of Taberner or Lobb, but you can't play both, as was evident.
McKay and Curnow are lumbersome at times. However I don’t think it was the issue. The talls had no chance with the midfield losing clearances and inside 50s. Was a shocking day all round.

McKay and Curnow are lumbersome at times. However I don’t think it was the issue. The talls had no chance with the midfield losing clearances and inside 50s. Was a shocking day all round.
Exactly, if our midfield got on top we would probably have a different result. I just wish it was a closer game.

I reckon Logue is needed back again this week, Pearce gets Dixon, Cox gets Georgiades and Logue gets Marshall.

I am keen to see if JL does much this week, i don't feel like he is a wield the axe type so will probably see something like Walters in for Hughes and Banfield back to the sub role. I hope Henry stays in, I thought he did some really good things, still work to do but I reckon he can really be something for us.

I reckon Logue is needed back again this week, Pearce gets Dixon, Cox gets Georgiades and Logue gets Marshall.

I am keen to see if JL does much this week, i don't feel like he is a wield the axe type so will probably see something like Walters in for Hughes and Banfield back to the sub role. I hope Henry stays in, I thought he did some really good things, still work to do but I reckon he can really be something for us.
Keep him forward. He needs to float around the ground and use his contested marking.

Result had nothing to do with our forward setup.

Catch 22
Does Logue go back to save the game or go forward to win the game? Should a slow paced plodder stopper like Hughes run the half back wing again.
Hmm, keeping Carlton to 12 but only kicking 8 ourselves didn't get the job done so I say let's attack get close to the 100 points and win the **cker.
Logue forward , Banfield another plodder stopper have a rest.
Wilson might as some say have his card marked but geez as an attacking long kicking pacy half back/winger he leaves Hughes for dead so Hughes out. Wilson in if Chapman doesn't get up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back