Prediction Round 16: Changes Vs Port Adelaide + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

All those getting stuck into Fyfe. Shame on you.
I give legends of our game at least 3 games before writing them off.

He better deliver 23 touches and a goal against Port otherwise the knives will come out.

I remember reading all the doomsday posts after we lost to GC and Collingwood.
Agreed.

I keep reading posters wanting Tabs dropped. He can’t play with Lobb and is no good.

The vision I watched Tabs played well first game back and took some good congested marks roaming up the ground. Lobb got easily beaten a couple of times by Young and he needs to better halve each contest if the ball isn’t in his marking zone. They will definitely play as the key forwards.

The small forwards were average - the lot of them but you’d back them in. Walters if fit to come in and Crowden to be considered. Henry because he was last in under threat (possible positional change) and Colyer because he was totally absent.

Logue to go forward and Banfield to sub. Henry to Wing.

In: Walters
Out: Banfield (to medi-sub)
Additional possible change Colyer > Crowden
Further possible change if Mundy is unwell (Banfield back in and Colyer to Sub)

Henry given a couple of weeks to show his worth. Acres, NOD and Tucker out for the next 2-4 weeks.

I’m going to throw something out there left field;

In: Meek, Walters, Wilson, Erasmus
Out: Lobb, Hughes, Banfield, Taberner

Fyfe and Logue forward…let’s bring the run. If we need height forward can throw Meek or Darcy forward. Mundy can play cameo’s at FF. Similarly Fyfe. We looked short of a gallop with the team we selected against Carlton. Taberner did ok, but rarely did well inside 50. Similarly Lobb was lackluster.

Walker Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Young
Aish Brodie Erasmus
Walters Fyfe Henry
Schultz Logue Frederick
Darcy Brayshaw Serong

Int: Colyer Wilson Mundy Meek
Don't ever become a selector.

Don’t care if he tackles tbh. I want contested marks & clearances
I was saying it more of a joke... but you have raised a point that needs to be clarified. You can't have three contested beasts in the midfield that don't apply defensive pressure (IMO). I'm sure this will be proven in the weeks to come.

Our wings were slaughtered by Carlton. Our midfield was beaten badly. This is nothing to do with just Fyfe. Stop doom posting
Sorry if it came across as that. It's more a genuine query as how best to use our star, through a challenging adjustment period as I see it.

Come to think of it, I don't think there should be massive changes made at the moment unless people come back from injury. How often are we actually gonna get smashed in the midfield like we did Carlton?? The answer would be not often

Come to think of it, I don't think there should be massive changes made at the moment unless people come back from injury. How often are we actually gonna get smashed in the midfield like we did Carlton?? The answer would be not often
Yeah, I'd be in the Camp Stability team. Every chance that performance was heavily influenced by the bye situation and them having more rhythm and connection than us as a result.

I was saying it more of a joke... but you have raised a point that needs to be clarified. You can't have three contested beasts in the midfield that don't apply defensive pressure (IMO). I'm sure this will be proven in the weeks to come.

How much defensive pressure do you want at a center bounce?
Midfield running both ways around the ground, sure.

Center bounce id like 3 guys who give Darcy an option to get the ball to. All able to win against their man. Problem against Carlton is they beat our guys for the ball. Bad day against big bodies.

My starting 3 with Darcy would be Fyfe Brodie and Brayshaw.

There's always one person who takes it too far.

(If I were the Collingwood President I'd add usually it's de Goey)
What? Seemed like that’s where the thread was tracking, I just like to stay ahead of the curve.

I find the lack of faith in Fyfe disturbing..

The ONLY Brownlow medalist in our history will stand up, mark my words.
baseball playing GIF

I find the lack of faith in Fyfe disturbing..

The ONLY Brownlow medalist in our history will stand up, mark my words.
AFL footballers get a 5 month preseason involving structured fitness work, strength & conditioning (weights) game style training, 2 months of scratch matches & match simulation training.
How much of this has Fyfe been able to do coming off a shoulder reconstruction & a back operation?
The comments on here are based on a player who has been able to do most of the above, Fyfe is still 5-6 weeks off getting back to his potential best. He is building match fitness, game sense & his touch whilst playing at the highest level of the sport.
He will get back to his best soon without further interruptions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much defensive pressure do you want at a center bounce?
Midfield running both ways around the ground, sure.

Center bounce id like 3 guys who give Darcy an option to get the ball to. All able to win against their man. Problem against Carlton is they beat our guys for the ball. Bad day against big bodies.

My starting 3 with Darcy would be Fyfe Brodie and Brayshaw.
I guess we will have to wait and see. The amount of knee jerk reactions after this loss is funny. The two questions I want answered are:

A. Does playing all three of Brodie, Fyfe and Mundy seriously hamper our gameplan and;
B. Can the issue be rectified by our pressure forwards coming back into the team/Fyfe getting back to his best.

Well you can. Melbourne do. Viney applies pressure, Oliver and Petracca get the ball.
If you haven't noticed Brodie is a tackling machine, IMO he beat Cripps.

Hewett and Walsh ripped us a new one. Walsh is a running machine, we don't have anyone like that, same with Hewett albeit slower.

Answer is winning our share of the ball however Carlton are a top tier clearance team. They had heaps of possessions in the first game as well but the difference was our wing play at Optus. Second game our wings were invisible.

Simply put our midfield besides Brodie did not get their hands on the ball (Serong, Mundy, Fyfe) and even Brayshaw was well down on the day.

I’m going to throw something out there left field;

In: Meek, Walters, Wilson, Erasmus
Out: Lobb, Hughes, Banfield, Taberner

Fyfe and Logue forward…let’s bring the run. If we need height forward can throw Meek or Darcy forward. Mundy can play cameo’s at FF. Similarly Fyfe. We looked short of a gallop with the team we selected against Carlton. Taberner did ok, but rarely did well inside 50. Similarly Lobb was lackluster.

Walker Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Young
Aish Brodie Erasmus
Walters Fyfe Henry
Schultz Logue Frederick
Darcy Brayshaw Serong

Int: Colyer Wilson Mundy Meek
Well Taberner and Lobb are the only 2 blokes on the list that can play full forward.

Dropping one might be ok. But both? Nah.

Tabs kicked 2 goals on the weekend. Lobb had a quiet game.

If Freo are gonna beat Port at least one of them has to kick 3 goals. Hell if both kick 3 each, that helps us get 13 or 14 goals to win this game

FFS Fyfe has had a year off and plays two games, the second of which was below his lofty standards and many of you want to drop him. Give me a ducking break!

If after 5 games back he is still not hitting form he still will be entitled to play out the season.

We are sitting fourth. We are looking very very good.

Never as good, never as bad.

It is...said it a few weeks back. It's the only position I think he will be viable in moving forward. He might even excel in the role after a few weeks.
Short term most likely but this will depend on what he wants as well. I don't want to become too slow with Tabbs, Lobb, Logue and Fyfe in the forwardline. In the medium/long term I guess moving Mundy to the medi sub role and Fyfe taking his position in the mid will make things more even.

Imagine if our small fwds threw themselves in like Liam Baker. We'd be unstoppable.

Imagine if our small fwds threw themselves in like Liam Baker. We'd be unstoppable.
Switta did & look how that turned out. Baker has had a good month but he's still got some things to work on, looked lost up forward for the start of the year and has improved playing half back and midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back