Game Day Round 16: Geelong v Essendon, GMBHAYMCA Stadium, Friday July 2, 7.50pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round16.jpg

Form Line.jpg

ESSENDON BOMBERS

Took it up to the top side, but fell short.
Could you blame our incessant bombing into 40 right on the heads of Lever and May? Yes.
Could you blame the umpiring absolutely crucifying us, to the point where Dermott Brereton admits that we were slaughtered? Also yes.
When opposition fans, even Carlton ones, admit that we were shafted by umpiring, then you know there's a problem.
Not much point dwelling on it now. It's been done, and that makes it 3 (or 4?) games decided by umpiring against us.
Let's celebrate by playing a game against Geelong, in Geelong, where they only let Essendon have 1% of the available tickets. Woo.
Zach Merrett is a king.

ESSENDON BOMBERS 8.9 57
def. by
THE MEN IN GREEN, PLUS MELBOURNE 9.14 68

GOALS: Jones, Wright 2, Stringer, Smith, Heppell, Hooker
BEST: Merrett, Parish, Heppell, Ridley, Stringer, Langford, Redman

--------

GEELONG CATS

One of those rare occassions that the Cats just didn't show up.
Belted from pillar to post, Geelong were smashed by the Lions in Brisbane by 44 points.
The usually reliable Geelong defence were broken apart by Brisbane's smooth movement, with that snake-head bastard Daniher getting 4.
The Cats let in the first five goals of the game, and that was right about it save for a brief comeback in the second quarter.
Joel Selwood was kept to 13 dirty punches disposals by Deven Robertson, whilst Cam Guthrie continued his stellar year with 34 touches.
37 free kicks in the first half. Umpiring is a farce.

BRISBANE LIONS 13.16 94
def.
GEELONG CATS 7.8 50

GOALS:
Smith, Tuohy 2, Hawkins, Rohan, Dangerfield
BEST: Dangerfield, Guthrie, Touhy, Smith

LineUps.jpg

Round16lineup.jpg

ESSENDON INS: Tom Cutler, Will Snelling
ESSENDON OUTS: Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Matt Guelfi (Both omitted), David Zaharakis (Unused Med-Sub)

GEELONG INS: Gryan Miers, Rhys Stanley
GEELONG OUTS: Esava Ratugolea, Shaun Higgins (Both rested), Mark O'Connor (Injured)

---

Subs are announced one hour prior to bounce

---

Selection.jpg

Two simple switches this week for both sides. Tom Cutler basically forced his way into the side with 35 touches last week in the VFL. Regardless of reputation, you don't ignore those numbers. Will Snelling is also returning from a hand injury, and the Dons have seriously missed his forward pressure. Brandon-Zerk Thatcher has been dropped, even without Aaron Francis back yet, as has Matt Guelfi. David Zaharakis was an unused Medical-Sub last week.

The Cats have brought in the stupidest name in the league with Gryan Miers returning to the side, alongside Rhys Stanley. Esava Ratugolea and Shaun Higgins are both being rested even though they just had the bye, and Mark O'Connor has been taken out with injury.

Last Time.jpg

ROUND 16, 2020
Gabba
6/9/2020

GEELONG CATS 17.6 108
def.
ESSENDON BOMBERS 5.12 42

---------

ESSENDON GOALS: Shiel, Townsend, Stringer, Stewart, Redman
GEELONG GOALS: Hawkins 4, Miers 3, Dangerfield, Bews, Blicavs, Menegola 2, Rohan, Dahlhaus

ESSENDON BEST: Merrett, Smith, Langford
GEELONG BEST: Menegola, Hawkins, Guthrie, Miers, Dangerfield

---------

CHANGES SINCE THEN

ESSENDON OUTS:
Guelfi, Shiel, Saad, Clarke, Townsend, Gleeson, Hurley, Zerk-Thatcher, Mosquito
ESSENDON INS: Laverde, Hind, Cox, Ham, Jones, Waterman, Cutler, Perkins, Wright

GEELONG OUTS: Duncan, Jenkins, Fogarty, Taylor, Z. Guthrie, O'Connor
GEELONG INS: Cameron, Smith, Narkle, Selwood, Tuohy, Stanley

The Tip.jpg

I reckon we'll show up tonight, and it'll be close all night. Right up until the final 10 minutes, where, if it's close, the umpires will forget that the rules bind both teams, and we'll get done.

Geelong by 19.

----------------------------------------------

Apologies for the low effort this week. My beloved dog, who we named after Angus Monfries, is being put to sleep tonight, and I'm not with it.
Go Bombers.

Last edited:

Looks like we might get a bit of rain at the start of the game but there's not much behind it on the 512 so I'm guessing this may play out like a cold version of the Brisbane game...

View attachment 1169337

I made the drive from Melbourne to Warrnambool today and it is wet and cold.

Wet but the ground looks ok in the VFL game.

Think I would just be happy with the umpires being boring tonight, I've got a bit of talking to do in the morning & would rather not sound like a 30 year chain smoker while doing it, mkay umps? thanks...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back