Preview Round 16 Lions vs Bulldogs Thursday June 30th @ 7:20 PM Brisbane Time @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
we are 10 wins and 4 losses
Put it in context we lost 3 of those losses are in the last 5 weeks.
Two of those teams where in loosing streaks
Hawks lost 4 in a row then beat us
Demons lost 3 in a row then smashed us without Gawn
At least Freo won the week before against a Mayless Demons
Although was done by the pies the week before that.
Actually the pies who we just ended up beating have won against Hawks , Freo and Demons in the last 5 weeks

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I won't be convinced T Berry isn't up to it until we give him enough minutes for a few games in a purely M/F role.

It seems everyone here thinks he's not much good so it's going to be at another club.
does have the Ben Keays vibe to it. Not play a player in the spot they play best in.
Although at least he plays mid in the VFL. Keays was playing half forward mostly there to. Think he won the goal kicking one year.
Actually maybe we should play him in the role that we push him to play in AFL in the VFL. So he is better at it.
Noticed Ah Chee playing mid last weekend as well. Which he never does in AFL.

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ok, so I am going to ask the silly question seeing as no one else has b/c you lot probably already know the answer, but what is a mulligan in the context of what Fagan was saying. I am lost lol

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ok, so I am going to ask the silly question seeing as no one else has b/c you lot probably already know the answer, but what is a mulligan in the context of what Fagan was saying. I am lost lol
Mulligan is from an old timey boomer TV sitcom called Mulligan's Island, where this sailor Mulligan gets lost at sea with his funny captain and some rich passengers. In the show Mulligan is all lost at sea and completely clownishly incompetent in his attempts at being rescued (much to the laughs of the audience).

Here Fagan raises an allegory to our clownish Lions performance being adrift at sea all to the bemusement of to the rest of the footballing world. Pure pretender football.

Or it is a golf term meaning do-over.

Also I hope Fagan takes the opportunity to drill down on basic un-sexy football. I know he states we are in the entertainment business but we got to play some Pagan's Paddock - Ross Lyon/Nathan Buckley type football from time to time. When we get a run on, the opposition are happy to throw a number back and accept multiple F50 entrances until we get burnt out and lose momentum. When we lose momentum we still try and play that downhill skier type football leaving our defense outnumbered because our midfielders are all superstars waiting for that handball receive 5m in font of the context, leaving our arse exposed.

When the opposition gets a run on we should be playing an extra back. We should contract the wings and get Berry/Dev Robbo/Mitch Robbo/Lyons et al to play man on man and force repeat stoppages until the opposition loses momentum. Im sick of teams getting a 10 minute run in a quarter where they pile on 5 goals and we are left chasing the game thereafter.

Also we rarely forward handball. The opposition loves to play an extra back on us because they know we like to go direct with kicks down the middle to expose an empty F50. You end up with us taking a dangerous inside corridor kick only for the next kick to go to Cameron or Daniher 1v2 against 2 defenders. We don't back ourselves to chain handball forward and look for a midfielder at at 40-50m range.

Harris Andrews also needs to go back to fundamentals. 2018-2020 he was massive with his fist first one-per center type games. We are now too clever for our own good and we get situations like Darcy Gardiner going for intercept marks, misreading the play and letting an easy clearing ball spill out the back towards our goals. Its crazy to me that we love playing percentages with long kicks down the line in attack but we seem so blase in defense that we always go for intercept marks instead of making sure we DEFEND FIRST.

Thats what I have liked about Carlton's game so far. They defend first and back their midfield to win a stoppage, move the ball around by hand and find a free midfield target in their F50. Once the opposition realise they cant just run back to the goal square all the time, thats when you can find your tall forward in one-on-one match ups because you don't have a small defender ignoring their opponent to sandwich Daniher.

ps. I know its Gilligan's Island. Please don't get your quills out to write me a correction letter. :p

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mulligan is from an old timey boomer TV sitcom called Mulligan's Island, where this sailor Mulligan gets lost at sea with his funny captain and some rich passengers. In the show Mulligan is all lost at sea and completely clownishly incompetent in his attempts at being rescued (much to the laughs of the audience).

Here Fagan raises an allegory to our clownish Lions performance being adrift at sea all to the bemusement of to the rest of the footballing world. Pure pretender football.

Or it is a golf term meaning do-over.

Also I hope Fagan takes the opportunity to drill down on basic un-sexy football. I know he states we are in the entertainment business but we got to play some Pagan's Paddock - Ross Lyon/Nathan Buckley type football from time to time. When we get a run on, the opposition are happy to throw a number back and accept multiple F50 entrances until we get burnt out and lose momentum. When we lose momentum we still try and play that downhill skier type football leaving our defense outnumbered because our midfielders are all superstars waiting for that handball receive 5m in font of the context, leaving our arse exposed.

When the opposition gets a run on we should be playing an extra back. We should contract the wings and get Berry/Dev Robbo/Mitch Robbo/Lyons et al to play man on man and force repeat stoppages until the opposition loses momentum. Im sick of teams getting a 10 minute run in a quarter where they pile on 5 goals and we are left chasing the game thereafter.

Also we rarely forward handball. The opposition loves to play an extra back on us because they know we like to go direct with kicks down the middle to expose an empty F50. You end up with us taking a dangerous inside corridor kick only for the next kick to go to Cameron or Daniher 1v2 against 2 defenders. We don't back ourselves to chain handball forward and look for a midfielder at at 40-50m range.

Harris Andrews also needs to go back to fundamentals. 2018-2020 he was massive with his fist first one-per center type games. We are now too clever for our own good and we get situations like Darcy Gardiner going for intercept marks, misreading the play and letting an easy clearing ball spill out the back towards our goals. Its crazy to me that we love playing percentages with long kicks down the line in attack but we seem so blase in defense that we always go for intercept marks instead of making sure we DEFEND FIRST.

Thats what I have liked about Carlton's game so far. They defend first and back their midfield to win a stoppage, move the ball around by hand and find a free midfield target in their F50. Once the opposition realise they cant just run back to the goal square all the time, thats when you can find your tall forward in one-on-one match ups because you don't have a small defender ignoring their opponent to sandwich Daniher.

ps. I know its Gilligan's Island. Please don't get your quills out to write me a correction letter. :p
Agree we were all adrift, well the last 3 quarters we certainly got lost. As a golfer where the term mulligan comes from (he was a bloke that took another shot after a bad one) I get what Fagan meant, you have a shocker of a shot so you get another ball out of the bag and have another go. Some old guys I play with reckon they have played in competitions where you get to have 1 mulligan per round, just don't count your worst shot. Now that would be good if we just discount that match against Melbourne as the Lions mulligan for the season and move on.

Still can’t find it. Is it because I’m on mobile?
Solid red block “Post thread” this is a screen shot on my mobile.
139C3AAB-5F54-4559-94A6-741C3470CD01.png

Jun 28, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It would be great to see Brisbane in the Grand Final again. It may not happen, but I’d like to see it happen. BTW I’m a Lions fan but I live on the NSW Mid North Coast (but I was born in QLD).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure from memory there’s a set amount of time after signing up till you can post your own thread. Could be wrong on that. dlanod would know more.
From vague memory, it's either set time and/or minimum number of posts. Basically to restrict spammers.

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No.

Took a couple of very nice marks, but was largely matched up on Fritsch for those. Disposal still a concern for me - particularly managing to kick the ball into the mark inside D50. But in fairness I'm pretty harsh on Payne.
play zone defence so was matched up at various times also on Ben Brown (especially when Harris was off) and out marked Brown a few times in the 3rd Q.

Not sure if Payne is past Gardiner yet, but has a higher ceiling IMO, and needs games.

Could Gardner mark Naughton this week? Would we expect our third tall to match up against the oppositions best tall? Don't be surprised if Payne (who should be our third tall as he develops) gets that match up.

May 3, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
play zone defence so was matched up at various times also on Ben Brown (especially when Harris was off) and out marked Brown a few times in the 3rd Q.

Not sure if Payne is past Gardiner yet, but has a higher ceiling IMO, and needs games.

Could Gardner mark Naughton this week? Would we expect our third tall to match up against the oppositions best tall? Don't be surprised if Payne (who should be our third tall as he develops) gets that match up.

Adams on Naughton

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fagan seems to think that the best place for Lester is as an emergency. Well this is an EMERGENCY - Andrew’s is out of form, Adams is a disaster with the ball in hand, Payne panics and Answerth butchers it by foot. Our defence leaks goals at the best of times, but we just got done by ten goals. Ringing any bells Chris? Think it might be worth making some changes in defence? What do you think Fages? More mulligans perhaps? Think it might get better by magic? Time to wake up.
Adams on Naughton
Yeap that would seem logical, but I would not be surprised if Payne's extra height is required. Most of the time the defence plays zone defence so there will likely be rotations of match ups.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I think payne was mainly on Brown when Harris went off with his shoulder issue.

Pride of lions

Team Captain
Nov 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With a lot of teams now having two or three very tall forwards I think we need Payne as a permanent member of our defence. Adams is strong and a good intercept mark but he isn’t tall enough to take on the 200 cm forwards or resting rucks. Neither is Gardiner which is why he concedes a lot of free kicks. Payne also has good pace for a big man so can also play on the mid height players.

With a lot of teams now having two or three very tall forwards I think we need Payne as a permanent member of our defence. Adams is strong and a good intercept mark but he isn’t tall enough to take on the 200 cm forwards or resting rucks. Neither is Gardiner which is why he concedes a lot of free kicks. Payne also has good pace for a big man so can also play on the mid height players.
I thought that Payne was one of our better performing defenders on the night.

Maybe because I was just genuinely disappointed with the way we were playing as a whole, but I don’t remember any glaring mistakes that he made other then maybe the smother that went horribly wrong, but I wouldn’t lay all the blame on him for that.
I thought Kiddy made more errors that led directly to goals than he did.
I do remember some fantastic marks that he made though, something that Gardiner very rarely does.

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think payne was mainly on Brown when Harris went off with his shoulder issue.
yeap he was, and out marked Brown on a few occasions and also halved many of the contest. I thought he and Starc were our two best defenders. I thought Harris was OK but obviously a little restricted after the injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back