Preview Round 16 Lions vs Bulldogs Thursday June 30th @ 7:20 PM Brisbane Time @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
brisbane.jpg

This promises to be one of the more intriguing selections for the Lions this season after they were soundly beaten by Melbourne last week. Captain Dayne Zorko (hamstring) and dynamic half-forward Zac Bailey (health and safety protocols) should both return to face the Western Bulldogs on Thursday night. Although Jarryd Lyons was cleared of broken ribs, his injury status will be closely monitored, with Rhys Mathieson continuing to put pressure on for selection with 43 disposals and two goals in the VFL. Darcy Fort and Kai Lohamnn could also be considered, as could last week's medical sub Cal Ah Chee.

R15 medical substitute: Cal Ah Chee (replaced Jarryd Lyons)

Verdict: Bailey for Tom Berry, Zorko for Jimmy Tunstill(pushing Hugh McCluggage to a more primary wing role) and Mathieson for Lyons (if he's not fully fit). – Michael Whiting

From the AFL App, which is usually quite close to the mark. Mathieson for mine.

If people can bring themselves to watch this again, have a good look at how lacking in confidence, slow and sloppy we look, particularly in defence. When you watch the Mini-Match on the AFL App it is even more apparent. This was all over the park. This is what Fagan has to combat this week and it starts with team selection.

We lost the game because we got smashed in the midfield and lack of two way running. In almost every post since and before last weeks game you have pushed for Lester's inclusion. I cannot see how Lester is picked unless he is replacing Answerth, and I don't believe they will do that, because it makes a relatively slow backline slower.
To reiterate a previous post, I thought it was obvious last year when Payne was picked in the unfamiliar forward role against the Dogs and Lester was Emergency that Payne was the next preference. The young bloke has never played more than 6 consecutive games and although quiet against the crows, I believe his other three games this year have been good. He will be picked this week, but I am sure if he does not play like a 100 gamer A grader he will be the usual whipping boy for some.

I am confident we win this Thursday and if by some chance we don't, I don't believe it will be because of Payne and or Dev or any other young player who plays.

Agree the young fellow needs a decent go. Very hard to judge when he comes in for a game that the team gets smashed and he is asked to play the small forward role. Massive difference in vfl afl pace of game. Needs to be given some chance to adjust. What I do know is that
blokes like Lyon and Robertson have no improvement in them , young berry has plenty if given a chance. As a bomber supporter happy to have him come to us if Fagen doesn’t give him a chance. Jarrod may as well come as well.
I think you mean Robbo not young Dev Robertson, who like Tom Berry struggles to get consecutive games and is often played in a different position. Agree with you that the step up is significant and playing mid in VFL is different to small forward in AFL

Is this optimism or are you on the Mullumbimby Madness? Either way, I hope you are right.

Forget about last week's game and consider our bed of work this year, our ins and compare it to the Bulldogs outs. Now add in the fact we will be hungry a.f to make a statement and win well this week. I expect 40+ to happen.

Forget about last week's game and consider our bed of work this year, our ins and compare it to the Bulldogs outs. Now add in the fact we will be hungry a.f to make a statement and win well this week. I expect 40+ to happen.
I believe we win, but 40+? I hope the margin is plenty we need to boost our %, top 4 will most likely be decided on %

I wouldn’t mind giving Madden a run on the wing. It would give us a lot more pace through the middle of the ground and could also help with a quick transition into defence. He is a pretty aggressive player too and could also play a defensive role on opponents when necessary. I just think he could give us a different look from the predictable slow movement of the ball from defence to attack.

Surely the club will be relishing the opportunity to avenge our loss to the Dogs in last year's final. That was gut wrenching.

If not .. is it possible to get Luke Hodge back ? To take on the 'courageous' switch kick out of defense that the others are now terrified and /or incapable of doing ?

It was stark and painful against Demons ( no pun intended ).

And to show some controlled intensity. Simple stuff. Hard running to contests. Spread from contests. Nail tackles. Hit targets inside 50.

If we blow another showcase game in the manner we did last week, the air will go out of the tyres and we're running on rims for the rest of the season. Our current team stats show a bottom 4 profile. And we will be like North was when Brad Scott coached them - close , no cigar and a cliff beckoning. And any 'destination club' recruiting goes out the door.

Grim I know but - we just melt under any spotlight. That's how bad my MCG experience was last week.

And we will be like North was when Brad Scott coached them - close , no cigar and a cliff beckoning. And any 'destination club' recruiting goes out the door

We're set to lose Rich, Zorko and Lyons pretty soon. Rest of the list is still pretty young. Where's the cliff?

I wouldn’t mind giving Madden a run on the wing. It would give us a lot more pace through the middle of the ground and could also help with a quick transition into defence. He is a pretty aggressive player too and could also play a defensive role on opponents when necessary. I just think he could give us a different look from the predictable slow movement of the ball from defence to attack.

I'd like him to play wing but has to do it in the reserves first

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Second wave of Omicron (I lost count of which number variant this is now) infections, plus flu and rhino virus (the cold) really starting to hit work (well it’s been 3 weeks now, really), with both staffing and patient levels.

I’d expect to see our playing group impacted on a similar level to the community in general.

What ever QLD health is reporting, you can probably triple for the real numbers.

Last edited:
I hate Thursday games. After last week's performance I couldn't stand to watch a minute of any other games and scroll through the footy as fast as possible. Lachie re-signing yesterday definitely got me keen again. I sure hope it's not like most games against the dogs. There always seems to be some kind of tomfoolery that massively benefits them.

i dont know how the dogs have consistently got the rub of the green over the last few years

the game this year against adelaide had the umpires almost trying to drag them across the line with some ridiculous frees - they dont play with any greater discipline that would warrant such a differential to my eyes

part of the reason i hate playing them

i dont know how the dogs have consistently got the rub of the green over the last few years

the game this year against adelaide had the umpires almost trying to drag them across the line with some ridiculous frees - they dont play with any greater discipline that would warrant such a differential to my eyes

part of the reason i hate playing them

I get that there are teams that play 'too tough' and that piles up as a negative differential.

Obviously the teams that play them every week get a positive differential for that week, but buggered if I can work out how teams accumulate a large positive differential.

Well, other than obvious umpire bias.

Can whichever sooky brother is running the umpires please explain. Genuine question.

For me this pic says it all.

This still is from directly after the clearance at 3.50min in from that highlights video. Viney got the clearing kick with McLuggage on his tail, and Lyons was on Oliver. Viney's kick spilled to ground at the top of the 50, and this is what that contested ball looked like. Barely 5 seconds after Viney's clearance, he and Oliver are already at the next contest and impacting it heavily. Oliver wins the footy, hands it off...easy goal.

Lyons is not impacting, McCluggage barely in the frame.

I'm sure you could find countelss examples of similar if you looked hard enough this season. Not sure how we fix it, but we all know what they say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result... demons5.png

For me this pic says it all.

This still is from directly after the clearance at 3.50min in from that highlights video. Viney got the clearing kick with McLuggage on his tail, and Lyons was on Oliver. Viney's kick spilled to ground at the top of the 50, and this is what that contested ball looked like. Barely 5 seconds after Viney's clearance, he and Oliver are already at the next contest and impacting it heavily. Oliver wins the footy, hands it off...easy goal.

Lyons is not impacting, McCluggage barely in the frame.

I'm sure you could find countelss examples of similar if you looked hard enough this season. Not sure how we fix it, but we all know what they say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...View attachment 1435573
Our team defence does not seem to have improved

Looks like Tunstill kept his spot in the team. Lions fb posted captains run images with him as the 4/4.
Part of me is glad he has got another run, sure he will be better for last weeks experience, but it appears Dev has missed out, I would have been tempted to rest Lyons.

But Tunstill is 🙄
I'm all for the kids getting a go, but there is a sense of stubbornance to spite our faces if Tunstill is selected - again.

It was painfully obvious to all that whoever selects the team got it wrong to the point of arrogance last week and if they are now doubling down by playing him again in another red hot game. We need guys to stand up and whilst not a footy head like a lot of you, but that rarely comes from a first or second gamer in my uneducated view. Perhaps a sub and if he does get a go, the game may not be so red hot but being at the final against Dogs last year, the last Q was fever pitch or whatever they call it and not a place for an inexperienced kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back