Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
If we're going with that precedent, Jake Kelly was knocked out and received a broken nose. Prestia was concussed, but could walk off the ground without anything broken.
SC aside, I think its right that Stewart gets 3+ weeks, especially given Prestia will be out for a couple. Targeting the head of a player without the ball is ****ed up.
But if we're using the precedent of the Dangerfield incident, which was classified severe - that impact was higher than this one.
I reckon the AFL have the gradings back to front too. Should be intentional (His intent was to bump and got him high, so don't get how it is careless), but the impact could be argued as high, not severe. Not sure what that would look like in terms of 'normal' suspension grading.

Maybe though, whatever they graded it at wasn't enough weeks, and that is why it has been sent straight to the tribunal so they can add some fat to it and give him 4-5 weeks?

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I actually think Danger should have got less though. The head contact was from his own head. I think that's more of a "careless" act than what Stewart did.
I reckon the AFL have the gradings back to front too. Should be intentional (His intent was to bump and got him high, so don't get how it is careless), but the impact could be argued as high, not severe. Not sure what that would look like in terms of 'normal' suspension grading.

Maybe though, whatever they graded it at wasn't enough weeks, and that is why it has been sent straight to the tribunal so they can add some fat to it and give him 4-5 weeks?

Yeah so two separate issues here.

As you say, there's a case to be made that Stewart intended to bump Prestia in the head. But there's been a reluctance for the AFL to rule that these kind of bumps are intentional. Presumably because its harder to prove that Stewart's motive was the break the rules than to just point to the damage he has caused. Could we see them change approach this time around? Maybe. Wouldn't count on it.

Then, there's the impact. So what was the outcome of the action? Prestia got concussed, and walked off the ground in the arms of trainers. If they're going with precedent, we've had bumps on head that've knocked players out and broken bones and the offending action has been classified high, rather than severe. IMO that does give Geelong leeway to seek a downgraded impact classification. (On the flipside, we don't know what long term damage has been caused to Prestia's brain, and presumably we won't know for years to come, which is the nub of this whole issue.)

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
Yeah so two separate issues here.

As you say, there's a case to be made that Stewart intended to bump Prestia in the head. But there's been a reluctance for the AFL to rule that these kind of bumps are intentional. Presumably because its harder to prove that Stewart's motive was the break the rules than to just point to the damage he has caused. Could we see them change approach this time around? Maybe. Wouldn't count on it.

Then, there's the impact. So what was the outcome of the action? Prestia got concussed, and walked off the ground in the arms of trainers. If they're going with precedent, we've had bumps on head that've knocked players out and broken bones and the offending action has been classified high, rather than severe. IMO that does give Geelong leeway to seek a downgraded impact classification. (On the flipside, we don't know what long term damage has been caused to Prestia's brain, and presumably we won't know for years to come, which is the nub of this whole issue.)
Yeah, I don't think Stewart is a dirty player whatsoever, so don't think his intention was to bump him in the head. However, his intent was to bump, when he could have avoided contacted altogether, so I also don't think the action is careless personally.

Agree on the impact, although it did take Prestia quite a while to get up to his feet and was very wobbly when he did.

Will be an interesting one to watch and see what happens.

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Have 4 trades and $53.5k but can’t see anything worth doing really.

Bont, Steele and Hall are the 3 players I would be interested in. No Bont is really killing me.

Posting the team in case anyone has any awesome ideas.

View attachment 1434129
View attachment 1434130

I wouldn’t do anything. Full premo with great bench cover… save your trades for league finals & luxury upgrades or risk tempting fate.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I can bring in either a defender or a mid for Stewart. At the moment I'm leaning towards Steele, with my other potentials Walsh and Dawson.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
Yeah, I don't think Stewart is a dirty player whatsoever, so don't think his intention was to bump him in the head. However, his intent was to bump, when he could have avoided contacted altogether, so I also don't think the action is careless personally.

Agree on the impact, although it did take Prestia quite a while to get up to his feet and was very wobbly when he did.

This is the key point, and why they'll throw the book at him.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Yeah. If I was Geelong, a premiership contender with a lot at stake, I'd be looking at the fixture and thinking about how the absence of Tom Stewart, who's probably their most important player, is going to affect their standing going into finals.

He's guaranteed to be gone two weeks. First week is versus North, so no biggie to sit that one out. Then its the Dees - so slightly more problematic having him out of this one, but can't be helped at this stage.

Then you've got Carlton at Marvel, the Power in Adelaide, and Bulldogs at Marvel. I could see Stewart as being the difference maker in two of those three games. Surely Geelong will try and argue it down to two.

Yes, all of this is a really longwinded way of me trying to convince myself that maybe, just maybe, I won't need to burn trades on a key player in my SC backline who is very annoyingly underpriced at the moment.

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
There's a little devil sitting on my shoulder telling me to spend my last two trades. Strangely that devil looks just like I'd imagine Judd_Magic to look.
If I did use those trades it would be to trade Rosas > Burgoyne and McCartin > Crisp. I know Crisp was poor this week, but he's been amazingly consistent only missing a ton 4 times and with a low score of this week's 80. Burgoyne would allow movement of my many def/mid defenders to the midfield for cover. Daniel Rioli would become my roving number one bench cover, able to cover any line through multiple dpp. The rest of the bench cover is pretty weak but all players have either played, or been emergencies in the past 2 weeks. It's very early to be tradeless, but the cover is there and being able to loop Rioli with my worst starting fwd or def could often result in much higher scores in that position. It's risky but no guts, no glory.

Final SC Team 2022.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No trades, but it's fun seeing what my projected looks like if I tell the stick insect to GAGF.

View attachment 1434377
A fair few teams will be disappointed when the real scores kicks in :eek:
"I was projected X but now I've got X-200, X-300, X-400..."

Jan 27, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Looks like I'm getting Brodie back in....MRJ -> Uwland, Butters -> Brodie

Leaves me with:

D: Sicily, Sinclair, Doch, Hew, Crisp, Short....Sinclair getting tags now, Short is not reliable in that role, don't have Dawson...stuck with this now

M: Oliver, Neale, Crae, Touk, Brayshaw, Cripps, Merrett, Spudtracca.....mids are absolutely woeful. Outside the top 3, everyone else is a fraud. No Laird, No Walsh, no hope

R: Witts, Darcy....Witts should be good, Hodor is a hopeless oaf. Getting easy match ups and still not going as big as I expected him to

F: Bont, Cogs, Brodie, Dunks, Parker, Cameron....after adding Brodie this week, this is the only line I'm happy with. If Grundy ruins Cameron, then I should be able to easily do Cameron -> English in one trade.

Main weakness is midfield and I don't have the trades to fix it...disaster

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Leaves me with:

D: Sicily, Sinclair, Doch, Hew, Crisp, Short....Sinclair getting tags now, Short is not reliable in that role, don't have Dawson...stuck with this now

M: Oliver, Neale, Crae, Touk, Brayshaw, Cripps, Merrett, Spudtracca.....mids are absolutely woeful. Outside the top 3, everyone else is a fraud. No Laird, No Walsh, no hope

R: Witts, Darcy....Witts should be good, Hodor is a hopeless oaf. Getting easy match ups and still not going as big as I expected him to

F: Bont, Cogs, Brodie, Dunks, Parker, Cameron....after adding Brodie this week, this is the only line I'm happy with. If Grundy ruins Cameron, then I should be able to easily do Cameron -> English in one trade.

You traded Brodie? Why?

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

Leaves me with:

You should trade Fyfe in

Jan 27, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
You traded Brodie? Why?
My round 14 bye was so ruined...team needed major surgery just to field 18 with about 6 rookies. Brodie was coming off some poorer scores and I thought Fyfe would eat into his mid time.

But in typical fashion, his TOG somehow increased a bit this week didn't it?

Jan 27, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
You should trade Fyfe in
Fyfe would probably outscore at least one of my dud premo mids per week. Unfortunately I just don't have the trades to do anything about my midfield. After 2 trades this week, and 1 needed for Cameron when Grundy returns....I will only have 2 trades left, which will be for injuries to Darcy and somebody else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back