Review Round 16 vs Adelaide - The Showdown Win!

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta say, outside of the good win, the umpires stank, and that's comparative to how they've gone the entire year:

Most baffling holding free kick ever.

Yeah maybe ... I actually thought that for a change they used commence sense at those frees against us where we had played on. It happened about three times in the game, of course Dwayne called for 50m, and we had played on with a kick or handball. If you go back to last year I have no doubt the umpires would have been too trigger happy to whistle those for 50m.

Gotta say, outside of the good win, the umpires stank, and that's comparative to how they've gone the entire year:

Most baffling holding free kick ever.

I mean Jenkins pretty clearly pulls TJ's arm, and they called an identical one against Port in the same game (I remember yelling when it happened).

Just one of those which shouldn't really be a free to either player, but in reality it goes 50% no call*, 25% free to Jenkins, 25% free to TJ, then if questioned on it the umpiring panel picks out the interpretation that matches what was called.

*Note: If marking player is Charlie Dixon, 100% no call.

9 goals and 9 points

We missed a lot of easy shots in the last qtr

Should have really slaughtered them
We went from 12.2 to 12.9 before kicking our 13th goal. It is almost impossible for us not to rack up 3 or 4 points between goals even when we are dominating. Even in China, after 3.75 very good quarters of kicking straight we went from 20.3 to 22.7 at the end of the game.

12.3 Sam Gray's left foot snap, wasn't a bad kick but the handball should have gone back to Hartlett to shot from 45m out straight in front on the run.
12.4 Dixon just missed his set shot from about 45m out / 45 degree angle
12.5 Bonner marked the ball 51-52m out and wanted to have a set shot but the stupid *en umpire made him play on and he was forced to dodge and weave around Murphy, but missed.
======= 3/4 time
12.6 Duurmsa got a free for crows OOTF and from on the boundary about 40m out, just wide of goal post and punched through and recorded as rushed
12.7 Duursma on the run 40m/45 deg usually nails these, missed.
12.8 Amon's snap from 40m out was a tough shot.
12.9 Ollie's snap from about 30m out on an angle.

Duursma kicked the last 2 points, on the run from 45m out / 45 degrees and from another OOTF from the boundary about 40m out.

Last edited:
I know that there's not a lot of love for him on this board but I thoroughly enjoyed Jason Dunstall's commentary of the game. He seemed to analyse key plays quite well and explains them in a way where he doesn't come off as an arrogant know-it-all while being easy to follow. His knowledge of the game and how it unfolds is fantastic and he rarely seems to be biased. Doesn't rip into players either, even when Doogs threw out an elbow at Kelly he chuckled and said something along the lines of "nothing in it really". Coupled with Riewoldt they seemed to make a really nice expert commentary duo.
Yeah Dunstalls always good in his commentary, he doesn’t do that barracking for a certain team bullshit that most commentators seem to do these days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems too our guys are coping much better with the one-sided umpiring - they're just getting on with it by and large and not retreating into their shells. It doesn't seem to have as much impact as you might think.

Those that have had games in the Maggies would be well versed.

You would have to be fairly one eyed to not think that was a free to Jenkins.

If only the umps were as generous on that garbage Carlile-Corey call which tipped the scales in the Cats’ favour in the final quarter of the 2013 Semi.

Just spoke to a Port mate about Saturday night, and he says to me, "I tried to watch the Crows highlights from the weekend, but unfortunately it was a blank tape." 😅
If you watch the actual AFL highlights, they actually included 1 point the crows kicked in the second half. That's right, they were so bad that they highlighted a point.

I know that there's not a lot of love for him on this board but I thoroughly enjoyed Jason Dunstall's commentary of the game. He seemed to analyse key plays quite well and explains them in a way where he doesn't come off as an arrogant know-it-all while being easy to follow. His knowledge of the game and how it unfolds is fantastic and he rarely seems to be biased. Doesn't rip into players either, even when Doogs threw out an elbow at Kelly he chuckled and said something along the lines of "nothing in it really". Coupled with Riewoldt they seemed to make a really nice expert commentary duo.
Yeah, I liked their commentary, they don't have to pander to the local crows media, and I have always liked dunstalls commentary, insightful and unbiased, derwayne worries me. It's like he is trying too hard to show he is not pro port & took the crows side on every 50/50. Perhaps he is playing the devils advocate.
I was impressed with Ebert, best game as a forward, I thought he was in trouble this season, he was getting caught out of position and getting crunched a lot. Dbj & Amon, wow, I thought both these guys were in trouble now Amon is a very dangerous player and dbj looks like George fiachi's love child. So impressed, bonner is starting to turn the corner. Westhoff is still good when played in the right position in the dry. Loved his leap that smashed a couple of crows down. We really shouldn't lose to the crows for a long time. Their dour defensive style and ageing talent is vastly inferior to ports gun and run when executed well. Tactically the coaches need credit too, in previous showdowns port kicked it blind a lot and the crows fed off it, but this time ports ran and hand passed through the crows zone with ease.

You would have to be fairly one eyed to not think that was a free to Jenkins.
Wrapping the arm around the chest like that is normally ignored unless you also wrap up their arms. Or actually throw them out the way. Jonas doesn't really do enough of either.

But the arm pin free for Jonas, is almost as dumb as the holding the ball against Ebo.

Hammer and Doogs given fines for their weekend misdemeanours. Doogs pull your head in !!!

Nah. I want the players to play on the edge. Part of that will be being rubbed out for a week or two every so often. Ok with that

I probably haven't posted on here in over two years but I've just come on to say, can we all please chip in to pay Hammers $1500 fine for striking Atkins. Thanks

Maybe when he gets up to his fourth striking offence for the season and cops $5k...

NORTH Melbourne midfielder Ben Cunnington has been slapped with a whopping $5000 fine, having been sanctioned for the fifth time this season for striking Jade Gresham.

Cunnington has now been fined a total of $15,500 for five separate offences this year alone, charged four times for striking and once for making careless contact with an umpire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back