Review Round 16 vs Adelaide - The Showdown Win!

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Yeah I had a look too, it was interesting. Some think the crows simply kicked bad early, nothing more, others are more astute and see the crows are in more trouble than the early settlers. Neil pyke. We really put them to the sword, this should signal a new era of dominance. I can't see em beating us for a long time, lycett is the alpha dog in town. We finally ripped their vaunted zone to pieces, we tried it in other showdowns but we kept stuffing up possessions then blind kicking it to a wall of crows. I thought the players were really brave to keep running it through the middle in waves, it was like ports blitzkrieg against the crows maginot line.
"Imaginot Line" ;)

The team is still flakey but we look like a better team than last year's. Had better results against top 8 teams.

We've brought in 5 talented players (Lycett, Burton, Rozee, Duursma and Butters), Amon's turning into a good AFL player, Charlie's back and the new assistants have brought in fresh ideas. With those positives, you'd expect some improvement but I still don't trust this team.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
It was good to see our players getting stuck into the Crows on Saturday. I felt that was one part of our game that let us down in past showdowns. The Crows were better at getting into our faces.

Lycett was particularly good. After he kicked that ripper goal in the third, he started to celebrate then saw Matt Crouch nearby. Run straight towards him, and shoved him hard in back. Matt had this stunned look on his face, and didn't even bother to remonstrate. Loved it.
There was that moment where you could see the cogs in Crouch's brain turning, working on thinking of a comeback. He had nothing.

The team is still flakey but we look like a better team than last year's. Had better results against top 8 teams.

We've brought in 5 talented players (Lycett, Burton, Rozee, Duursma and Butters), Amon's turning into a good AFL player, Charlie's back and the new assistants have brougtht in fresh ideas. With those positives, you'd expect some improvement but I still don't trust this team.

It does your head in.

Our team could absolutely finish 15 and 7.

We could also finish 8 and 14.

I mean, who ******* does that?

Some think the crows simply kicked bad early

Let’s hope their coaches and list management team think the same.

Of their 7 behinds in Q1, 2 were rushed and the other 5 were marginal at best, with the closest being Milera’s set shot from 50 metres on a 45 degree angle. Even Murphy’s contentious after-siren attempt that was waved off (OOF regardless) was from a near-impossible angle.

Butchered gimmes from 15-35m straight out in front they weren’t.

BC81A92B-3D88-46CD-8BBE-1EE821B26C75.jpeg

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah I had a look too, it was interesting. Some think the crows simply kicked bad early, nothing more, others are more astute and see the crows are in more trouble than the early settlers. Neil pyke. We really put them to the sword, this should signal a new era of dominance. I can't see em beating us for a long time, lycett is the alpha dog in town. We finally ripped their vaunted zone to pieces, we tried it in other showdowns but we kept stuffing up possessions then blind kicking it to a wall of crows. I thought the players were really brave to keep running it through the middle in waves, it was like ports blitzkrieg against the crows maginot line.
They have a relatively easy run in the next month, so all will be forgoten by the media and they will become premiership contenders again.;)

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are few players i hate more than him. He isn't even that good an AFL player to have that much arrogance. Some of these players need to watch their actual games back, not just highlight reels.
It's Hartigan for me he's an absolute vanilla plodder nobody of a defender who carries on with the faux tough guy stuff to extremes, I'd have been quite happy for Dixon to have clobbered him and copped a few weeks.

Let’s hope their coaches and list management team think the same.

Of their 7 behinds in Q1, 2 were rushed and the other 5 were marginal at best, with the closest being Milera’s set shot from 50 metres on a 45 degree angle. Even Murphy’s contentious after-siren attempt that was waved off (OOF regardless) was from a near-impossible angle.

Butchered gimmes from 15-35m straight out in front they weren’t.

And on the flipside, we kicked seven consecutive behinds in the 3rd and last quarters.

The Crows were luck to escape with a mild ass kicking.

There really is something about that jumper that screams 'self-congratulatory w***er', isn't there? Every single player that signs for Adelaide by choice has that sort of attitude. They truly thought the wheel was never going to turn.

Incidentally, it was after the 2001 smashing that Port Adelaide went on a run to win both Showdowns every year for three years running. Looking at their shitty list with all its cooked players, zero midfield depth and general poor composition, you can start banking two wins every season again from 2020 on.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Tactically the coaches need credit too, in previous showdowns port kicked it blind a lot and the crows fed off it, but this time ports ran and hand passed through the crows zone with ease.
It's how Hawthorn and Geelong regularly beat them and Pyke has no answer to it. High pressure on the ball carrier would help
but basically they're too lazy. The Vic commentators are right and video clips prove it. Serial offenders are Walker and Betts.
Maybe they see it as beneath them.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies

We've brought in 5 talented players (Lycett, Burton, Rozee, Duursma and Butters), Amon's turning into a good AFL player, Charlie's back and the new assistants have brought in fresh ideas. With those positives, you'd expect some improvement but I still don't trust this team.
Houston in the guts helps. SPP being more disciplined and smarter with lowering his eyes is a big plus. Hammer back
and DBJ stringing some good footy.

Back