Review Round 16 - vs Brisbane @ The Gabba (9/9/20 at 7:10pm)

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
1599225472965.png

Here.We.Go

The most important game vs Big Brother...ever?

The QClash XIX aka the Pineapple Grapple/Mango Tango/Sunshine State Smackdown/M1 Mangle/SEQ Stoush ect.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This is our chance to shake things up
Massive opportunity for us to make a statement.

They played one good quarter tonight where they kicked five goals. Outside of that, they kicked one goal over the course of three quarters. Scoring is obviously still an issue for the Lions. They will get Lincoln McCarthy back but losing Harris Andrews is a huge blow for them.

How do they stop Kingy without Andrews?

Also, is there any chance Brisbane take us lightly and choose to rest Neale after looking exhausted/injured tonight?

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Massive opportunity for us to make a statement.

They played one good quarter tonight where they kicked five goals. Outside of that, they kicked one goal over the course of three quarters. Scoring is obviously still an issue for the Lions. They will get Lincoln McCarthy back but losing Harris Andrews is a huge blow for them.

How do they stop Kingy without Andrews?

Also, is there any chance Brisbane take us lightly and choose to rest Neale after looking exhausted/injured tonight?
They can’t kick straight after

Brisbane at times can be arrogant and probably think they’ve already got the win..warning bells for the lions here

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
They can’t kick straight after

Brisbane at times can be arrogant and probably think they’ve already got the win..warning bells for the lions here
They can be as arrogant as they want they have only lost 3 games for the year.
This is all going to come down to the midfield battle, we have to break even to give ourselves any chance

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I am joining the fans who think that we have a good chance to win it and make a bit of statement here.

Yes, turning up is the main question mark. Considering we really did not turn up only against GWS, I am optimistic. Carlton game was a write off. If we bring the same work rate and pressure for 4 quarters like against North we will be in a good shape. We can’t afford goal inaccuracy again.Two consecutive 9 and 10 days breaks should help significantly vs Lions 5 days break.

Yes, Lions are not playing their best yet they are on top of the ladder with a double points compared to Suns. Not bad for a ‘struggling’ team. I think they benefit greatly playing basically the same team the previous 2-3 years. They have a great synergy. Lions line-up is usually 2-3 years older than Suns one.

Against Collingwood, I was surprised that Lions after 10 days break did not look best physically and not only because they lost Fullarton early and in the 2nd half Andrews. We definitely looked better physically against North after our break. Not really fair for one team having 5 days break vs 10 break. If it would be the opposite I believe Collingwood would had won.

Yes, midfield battle is a key as usual. Big O is doing a fabulous job there and I think he exceeded expectation of every Lions fan. Yesterday, he beat Grundy and quite convincingly in my eyes. Grundy is nowhere near his last year form which is a good sign for our game following week (when Collingwood have 10 days break vs Suns 5 days break). There is a chance that Big O will struggle after heavy load recently. Lions may bring in Smith to assist him.

Yes, Neale looked quite sore. Lyons had a great game, Berry and McCluggage as well, Zorko dropped off from the last year form, Robinson struggles on short breaks.

On the other hand our midfield is starting to gel and was not really beaten in many games. Rested Witts should do well as he did against North.

Besides Big O vs Witts there will be some other interesting match ups. Who will play on King? Lions will probably bring Payne or Skinner or move McStay back. Who will play on Cameron? Will it be Powell or Budarick again as he seems to get the fastest forward every time now despite giving up some height? Will Miller run with someone?

Just hope that Luko is OK. He did have a big bandage on his thigh from the end of 3rd quarter and did not play the last 7 min against North. Hopefully, just a not too bad corky.

Looking forward for Luko opening up the Lions. Powell's intercepting and kicking at HB is also a beauty. Please, more magic from Rankine. Bring the pressure, kick straight (common Corbett) and we should give ourselves every chance.

Go Suns.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
A term often used used to describe us on the BrisC board is the Scums.
Plus they are BrisC where people think winning sports through having one city teams is a god given right.

beat them.
You use BrisC to describe them mate, you constantly call other teams names they would find offensive but can't handle when other people do it to us

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Andrews definitely out for some time...

BRISBANE could be without All Australian defender Harris Andrews until the preliminary final, with his hamstring injury worse than first thought.
Andrews is so pivotal to their defensive structures. I think it's entirely possible they will crumble defensively against us without him running the show down back. We just need to win the ball in the middle and put continued pressure on their backline until they fall apart.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Andrews is so pivotal to their defensive structures. I think it's entirely possible they will crumble defensively against us without him running the show down back. We just need to win the ball in the middle and put continued pressure on their backline until they fall apart.
They still have Gardiner. Very underrated key back for them. Think he will beat whoever he gets, whether that be Day or King. The one that he doesn't get has to really try and capitalise.

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Both playing deeper with Corbett further up the ground, we really have an opportunity to cause a few headaches. I expect a big end of season for Sexton, he thrives on confidence and he finally got reward for effort last week
They still have Gardiner. Very underrated key back for them. Think he will beat whoever he gets, whether that be Day or King. The one that he doesn't get has to really try and capitalise.

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back