Review Round 16 - vs Brisbane @ The Gabba (9/9/20 at 7:10pm)

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
If Swallow wasn't our captain people would have been calling for him to be dropped. Averaging 17 touches as a full time midfielder is very average.
One of my favourites but gee he goes missing way too much, only good for a clearance at the moment. He's been a turnover machine in crucial moments this year

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I may be the only one who thinks this but I see no mention of Sexton's game last night. He's very good when the team's going well and can do some great goal kicking BUT goes missing in games where the going gets tough - and last night highlighted this more than ever. McPherson is another who isn't up to it. I just don't understand why he keeps getting games. Nothing new either about our need for a strong and calm headed A grade defensive player for next year AND our midfield (even with Rowell fit) is not competitive. Weller is a wing / high half forward - not tough enough for the grunt work. Love the heart and soul loyalty from Swallow and Miller but ultimately they will not take us any further. Both handed the ball over too many times last night with errant handballs and poor kicking but of course they weren't alone. I'd like to see Dave hand over the captaincy for 2021 and play a few more years as a support player for the kids. After last night it's clear we have some great young kids but not enough older mature (and less panicky) players to help them grow.

..and finally unless the club knows Brodie is going - he must be given a game against Collingwood.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I agree with Day, DMac, Graham & Holman but I don’t mind getting games into Flanders. Luko & King looked all at sea early last year. Just get games into the future boys.
Ellis & Greenwood have been good this year. I’m all for chasing mature mids. Atkins and Crouch not everyone’s cup of tea but massive improvement in what we’ve got. Draft A graders and build around them. We were very poor last night.
Some of the players I mentioned are nevergunnabes, but players like Flanders and Graham my jury is out.I just don't think they're ready.We have a very young team already.Graham and Flanders should be waiting their turn and knocking the proverbial door down before they're played.I feel so much dejavu.It feels like 2013 again and I'm watching Warhammer fester in the NEAFL while Timmy Sumner and Joek Wilkinson are getting games

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
What the feck happened last night ??

I wasn't expecting that result.

Actually ............. I was expecting the Lions to win but certainly not by the margin or in the manner that they did.

The Suns players let them get off to a flyer and never really recovered, I'm quite disappointed by that as I thought it made the Suns look way worse than they really are.

Is it just a result of young players tiring at the end of the season ?? Maybe ...... but this season has certainly been a huge improvement on the recent ones.

The TV commentators spoke about Rankine and it is something that I have thought for some time too. He has all the razzle-dazzle party tricks but it would be better to just do the basics really really well instead. I find that he bobs up and has a spectacular 2-3 mins and then disappears again, I'd really like to see some consistency across the whole game from him. Yes, he is still in his first full year but as Clint Eastwood would say "a man has to know his limitations".

Another pre-season and a couple of strategic tweaks to the playing list and you should see some movement up the ladder in 2021.

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
As I mentioned in another thread unless we jag a Neale/Cameron there is a strong chance of us flatlining
As good as Rowell Anderson Lukosius and King are we're one injury away from disaster and we don't have any leadership polish in the mids
That's the reason I like the idea of shifting players around eg Powell . Crouch and Atkins type is more about super. Both will create GWS problem where the young one get little salary and left after two years.
Neale cost two first round pick , and Cameron one first round and yet Brodie and Wright is playing reserve with good paid contract , something is so wrong.
Brisbane get two first round for Beams , and some donation from GCS multiple second and third Rd pick , Lyons , ah Chee. Other like scrimshaw , kolo go for free . Murdoch , GHS, Corey Ellis what the hack with 2 + years contract .

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
That's the reason I like the idea of shifting players around eg Powell . Crouch and Atkins type is more about super. Both will create GWS problem where the young one get little salary and left after two years.
Our young guns are in their 1st or 2nd contracts for the next 2 years at least.
There’s significant salary cap space for a front loaded contract. We don’t have Cameron, Whitfield, Coniglia, Kelly etc contracts in place.
Our young list needs midfield support now though. If we can attract an absolute A grader now then great. If not, then we bring in more B graders like Ellis & Greenwood now.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Whenever you start looking forward to a Suns game and think we can compete.. we come out and do this... its so deflating

To be honest I haven’t really looked forward to a Suns game since Rowelly went down. Sort of lost all momentum we were gaining from that point on. He made such a difference to our vanilla midfield with his ability to set teammates free into space / better positions. We haven’t looked the same since.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And our game plan reminds me of my one and only visit to the Casablanca (Katoey) Bar in Nana Plaza, Bangkok many moons ago. I tried to make sense of what my eyes were seeing but couldn’t.

Us NRL people call AFL “aerial ping pong”, you were just watching another type of use of “ping pong” balls.
Not all that different....

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Our young guns are in their 1st or 2nd contracts for the next 2 years at least.
There’s significant salary cap space for a front loaded contract. We don’t have Cameron, Whitfield, Coniglia, Kelly etc contracts in place.
Our young list needs midfield support now though. If we can attract an absolute A grader now then great. If not, then we bring in more B graders like Ellis & Greenwood now.
So isn't it luko , Rankine , Ben King and Jez finished their low two year deal this year , what about Ballard and Powell contract extension and Anderson , Rowell , Flanders and sharp contract kick in after next year . Not including paying pre covid salary for Thompson , swallow and witts .

Weller extension also same year where Anderson and Rowell get high salary .

If GCS don't have salary cap problem , they won't let go of scrimshaw and ah Chee ,Lyons cheaply. Pearce Hanley is a great example of spending money on rehab more than playing or extend 5 year contract for Thompson .

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
So isn't it luko , Rankine , Ben King and Jez finished their low two year deal this year , what about Ballard and Powell contract extension and Anderson , Rowell , Flanders and sharp contract kick in after next year . Not including paying pre covid salary for Thompson , swallow and witts .

Weller extension also same year where Anderson and Rowell get high salary .

If GCS don't have salary cap problem , they won't let go of scrimshaw and ah Chee ,Lyons cheaply. Pearce Hanley is a great example of spending money on rehab more than playing or extend 5 year contract for Thompson .
Yeah and they’ve re-signed on again for another 2 years. They aren’t in the 600k+ range like the GWS boys though.
Our cap was bursting when May, Lynch, Ah Achee, Martin, Lyons, Handley were all here. They’ve all gone. Weller’s was front loaded and averaged out not excessive. Ellis & Greenwood front loaded hence the reason they’re longer.
There is now significant cap space for the next 2 years regardless of cuts to salary cap.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Skills were better in the old days!!
They just weren't, go and watch any games up until the 2000s the majority of players smacked the ball on the boot and just got it forward to one on ones. Now its 3 on 3s or 4 on 3s all over the ground, players footskills are much better but they don't have the luxury of kicking to one on ones like they used to do. Players are much smarter now at coming off there player and intercepting and providing defensive cover. That was un heard of "back in the day"
Players still miss kicks but id take a majority of players these days compared to 80s 70s etc.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
They just weren't, go and watch any games up until the 2000s the majority of players smacked the ball on the boot and just got it forward to one on ones. Now its 3 on 3s or 4 on 3s all over the ground, players footskills are much better but they don't have the luxury of kicking to one on ones like they used to do. Players are much smarter now at coming off there player and intercepting and providing defensive cover. That was un heard of "back in the day"
Players still miss kicks but id take a majority of players these days compared to 80s 70s etc.
The only thing that is categorically better then and now I think is goal kicking.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I was meaning at the Casablanca Bar ;)

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I thought Noah Anderson was good again last night, a bit fumbly early but he had a good game I thought. He's been good 3/4 weeks as an inside mid, it's exciting. He and Rowell will clearly be our number 1 and 2 midfielders. Felt like Anderson really put it on himself to change the momentum. It's a small win in a big loss but is really exciting.

Corbett was good again, backed up his game vs north so that's great for him.

As for the rest... really, really poor. We need to learn to play keepys off, as I understand there are those with a license and those without who play percentages, but our players with licenses were blazing away, trying to bite off more then they could chew because of the pressure brisbane were applying.

I thought that's probably the best I've seen Brisbane, that felt like finals pressure and we were not upto it, but one game doesn't make you go away from everything that has been working for us this year. Rowell and Anderson are gonna be absolute A grade midfielders for the next decade, so we need to assist them.

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I thought Noah Anderson was good again last night, a bit fumbly early but he had a good game I thought. He's been good 3/4 weeks as an inside mid, it's exciting. He and Rowell will clearly be our number 1 and 2 midfielders. Felt like Anderson really put it on himself to change the momentum. It's a small win in a big loss but is really exciting.

Corbett was good again, backed up his game vs north so that's great for him.

As for the rest... really, really poor. We need to learn to play keepys off, as I understand there are those with a license and those without who play percentages, but our players with licenses were blazing away, trying to bite off more then they could chew because of the pressure brisbane were applying.

I thought that's probably the best I've seen Brisbane, that felt like finals pressure and we were not upto it, but one game doesn't make you go away from everything that has been working for us this year. Rowell and Anderson are gonna be absolute A grade midfielders for the next decade, so we need to assist them.

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app
Anderson is our best chance for the Rising Star

Back