Autopsy Round 16 vs Collingwood at Metricon Stadium, Saturday 2nd July, 7:25pm AEST

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Huge game!

Davies subbed out against Port so I assume he can't play in this one.

Who comes in and who goes out?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Budarick should be available.

Do we bring Lukosius straight in if he's available?

I'd be very tempted to replace Graham with Rory after the howler he had today.

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Having yet to calm down, my emotion backed changes would be

Graham > Thompson
Davies > Atkins/Sharp with either replacing Bowes in the backline and Bowes going into whatever role Davies was supposed to be playing

Rankine probably misses some time too. Thought for sure his shoulder popped out.

Really need to put these slow starts behind us.

KingCoasters

Senior List
Jun 22, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I hope Davies is alright and has a quick recovery, but fortunately injury will force the selection change. Has had 0 impact in any game lately.

Hopefully Budarick, Thompson and Hollands in

Davies, Graham and Burgess out

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Pies have won 5 in a row, gonna be another massive effort.

Thompson, Budarick and Atkins/Fiorini in for me.

Graham, Davies & someone else

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I thought Graham had a couple of howlers, but thought he also had a few really great moments as well. That's an improvement on his no great moments and many howlers?

It would be tough to bring Luko in after the time he has had off, but you'd think in worst case he would have more impact than Burgess did tonight. I do like Burgess but he just can never quite grab his chance at AFL level.

Budarick comes in, of course.

Journo didn't ask about Ranks in Dew's post match presser, but he looked okay when he came back onto the field.

OUT: Davies, Burgess
IN: Budarick, Luko

I'm not super confident on a win here, but I'd say we have more likely beating them than Richmond the following week, so we've got to get it done.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
I thought Graham had a couple of howlers, but thought he also had a few really great moments as well. That's an improvement on his no great moments and many howlers?

It would be tough to bring Luko in after the time he has had off, but you'd think in worst case he would have more impact than Burgess did tonight. I do like Burgess but he just can never quite grab his chance at AFL level.

Budarick comes in, of course.

Journo didn't ask about Ranks in Dew's post match presser, but he looked okay when he came back onto the field.

OUT: Davies, Burgess
IN: Budarick, Luko

I'm not super confident on a win here, but I'd say we have more likely beating them than Richmond the following week, so we've got to get it done.

Graham had a great last quarter. But does that make up for three quarters of really below poor footy?

I think we need some experience in. I know we all want to see Hollands/Copper getting a run but I think we should give Fiorini a run in this string of huge games and play him in position as much as possible

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Graham had a great last quarter. But does that make up for three quarters of really below poor footy?

I think we need some experience in. I know we all want to see Hollands/Copper getting a run but I think we should give Fiorini a run in this string of huge games and play him in position as much as possible
Hollands is surely no-where near the team after his last couple of weeks in the VFL. If he can't get a look in after 20+ touches and kicking goals consistently, he's not coming in after not being able to impact for a couple of weeks straight. Hopefully his confidence didn't get knocked around when we continued ignoring him. Really easy to drop your concentration after thinking that.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Hollands is surely no-where near the team after his last couple of weeks in the VFL. If he can't get a look in after 20+ touches and kicking goals consistently, he's not coming in after not being able to impact for a couple of weeks straight. Hopefully his confidence didn't get knocked around when we continued ignoring him. Really easy to drop your concentration after thinking that.

Could not agree more with that. Bit hard to judge on the the weekend but he would not be next in line off the last two games.

Soaring Magpie

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Barely got over the line against GWS at the MCG today. Not exactly a result that would fill you with a lot of confidence.
Did you watch the game, or just check the score?
In control for most of the day and only inaccurate kicking resulting in that score line.
Think it will be a great game, suns have played some exciting footy this year.

Southern Sun

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I didn't see the reserves this week but I'm assuming hollands played wing again? He was dominating as a mid/fwd then when weller went down they seen an opening on the wing so played him there. He is probably a good replacement for Davies playing fwd with a bit of time through the middle. He couldn't do any worse anyway.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Did you watch the game, or just check the score?
In control for most of the day and only inaccurate kicking resulting in that score line.
Think it will be a great game, suns have played some exciting footy this year.
Watched the first half and didn't see the rest for obvious reasons. I felt they were all over the Giants in the second quarter and really expected them to kick on and have a big win after going into the big break with a four goal lead. Then I really thought they were going to kick on when I received a notification that Collingwood were leading by more than six goals at three quarter time. Admittedly, I didn't watch the second half but to only win by 11 points after leading by more than six goals at three quarter time does raise an eyebrow or two...

If you make a habit of inaccurate kicking then it will cost you wins. We all know that, so if the Pies bring that form into this game then I expect our boys to punish them on our home deck. Barring the Lions game, we've been really good at Metricon this year which fills me with more confidence for this match. It's going to be loud and the Collingwood fans will very likely outnumber us but that's nothing new. Our boys are ready for this.

Barely got over the line against GWS at the MCG today. Not exactly a result that would fill you with a lot of confidence.
tbh, should have smashed them by 10 goals.
62 inside 50's v 50
32 shots at goal from those 62 inside 50's v GWs 19 shots.
17 of the misses were genuine behinds. Just wasteful in front of goal.
We aren't usually that bad in front of goal. Not since early in the season. I don't suggest its something that'll happen too often.

ajsars

All Australian
Apr 7, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Pies have won 5 in a row, gonna be another massive effort.
I don’t have much faith we can pull this win off, we are missing too much in the backline I think and if Rankine is out it’s a massive blow. But not many clubs win 6 in a row either so the pies are due for a loss

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
These next two weeks will be big.

FWIW Rankine wasn't mentioned in the post game presser, so I assume he is OK? Will find out today or tomorrow.

In: Budarick, Lukosius, Fiorini, Thompson
Out: Graham, Burgess, Davies, Flanders

Those changes for me. With our season slipping away, I think you need to get Lukosius in now and roll the dice if he is fit.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
These next two weeks will be big.

FWIW Rankine wasn't mentioned in the post game presser, so I assume he is OK? Will find out today or tomorrow.

In: Budarick, Lukosius, Fiorini, Thompson
Out: Graham, Burgess, Davies, Flanders

Those changes for me. With our season slipping away, I think you need to get Lukosius in now and roll the dice if he is fit.
I'd say dependent upon Rankine - Buderick, Thompson in for Graham and one defender (Lemmens, Farrell or Oleg) while Burgess, Davies for Hollands and Constable. Flanders is another of concern - just doesn't get enough of the ball. Luko would come in for one of these IF he's fit! Bite the bullet - it's all over if we can't beat Collingwood so go with the biggest and best we can pull together. Reward those guys who deserve a chance from the 2s and roll the dice. Fiorini holds down the Sub spot for another week. Bowes should hold his spot so it's still a good side. Be a big night at selection this week. Atkins is alos knocking down the door after two huge games in a row. Not giving up yet - we have depth for the first time ever - so let's use it wisely.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don’t have much faith we can pull this win off, we are missing too much in the backline I think and if Rankine is out it’s a massive blow. But not many clubs win 6 in a row either so the pies are due for a loss
We are missing Weller and Powell from defense but we have some great replacements for the first time. Buderick, Bowes, Mirkov and even Atkins pushing for a spot. Collins and Ballard are the two we can't afford to lose. Sam's been a bit rushed and anxious the past two weeks. He was so much better (as was Ballard) when Rory took that last tall.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
I haven't watched much of Collingwood recently but Port against Sydney were the highest pressure applied team all year. They absolutely bought that pressure against us and besides the first quarter we came back and it was an even game. Will Collingwood bring that intensity?

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I haven't watched much of Collingwood recently but Port against Sydney were the highest pressure applied team all year. They absolutely bought that pressure against us and besides the first quarter we came back and it was an even game. Will Collingwood bring that intensity?
Some will say it was Ports best game of the year against us

Back