Remove this Banner Ad

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
The dropping of Brodie was a ****** disgrace.

And I can tell you it was a fair reason the team played like crap today.

He’s well liked at the club and him being dropped went down like a lead balloon with some of his teammates.

Coaches need to stop with there favourites and start sending a few guys into the 2’s.

I love Powell but he's had what 20 touches overall in the last 3 games. How he got selected this week when he obviously needs a rest is not great management of the kids

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The dropping of Brodie was a ****** disgrace.

And I can tell you it was a fair reason the team played like crap today.

He’s well liked at the club and him being dropped went down like a lead balloon with some of his teammates.

Coaches need to stop with there favourites and start sending a few guys into the 2’s.
Spot on mate and I reckon the dropping of Corey Ellis had a huge effect on the team also today.
he’s very well liked already and in such a sort time say how highly the other players rate him.
Have a look at him in this video from today #17 on the left he looks like a shattered man

Last edited:

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How did you rate his 7 touches to half time? Only 3 of them effective.
Haha he was played out of position in the forward line in the first half.
How long did the ball spent there mate.

He ended up with 22 disposals 7 marks 4 score involvement 3 clearance 3 inside 50s and a goal.

How did you rate the guy that was picked in Brodie spot and his 7 disposals for the day

Last edited:

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Spot on mate and I reckon the dropping of Corey Ellis had a huge effect on the team also today.
he’s very well liked already and in such a sort time say how highly the other players rate him.
Have a look at him in this video from today #17 on the left he looks like a shattered man

They lost because they were deflated for Corey Ellis? I have heard some entertaining reasons for team's being flat...

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers

The team didn't turn up because Ellis was dropped?

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast

He ended up with 22 disposals 7 marks 4 score involvement 3 clearance 3 inside 50s and a goal.

How did you rate the guy that was picked in Brodie spot and his 7 disposals for the day
The selection of Heron greatly troubled me. I mean I know very little compared to the Coaching staff yet l would have bet my house on his embarrassing performance. He's not remotely close to AFL level.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The team didn't turn up because Ellis was dropped?
Mate didn’t say that spot trolling.
Dose it look like the players are enjoying their footy at the moment ?
They are just as frustrated as me with team selection.
It was reported last year and looks like it has continued

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
I quote mate "I reckon the dropping of Ellis had a huge effect on the team also today".
I'm done arguing with a Richmond flog who bags our coach and other young players constantly because Brodie can't get a game.
Time for a long break from the forum like others.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
I play golf every Saturday afternoon (rain, sun, heat, cold) so this game was a record and watch later special.

Honest question. Should I bother?

Also, I had a penalty after my ball moved, I hit it out of bounds, I had to chip out sideways twice, had a couple of 3 putts, and there was a lot of smoke around from burning off. Was my golf day in North East Victoria better than watching the Suns on TV?

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

His first half was a hell of a lot better than Heron, Sexton and so many more. Need more like him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The selection of Heron greatly troubled me. I mean I know very little compared to the Coaching staff yet l would have bet my house on his embarrassing performance. He's not remotely close to AFL level.
Well we're all beating around the bush so why not say what needs to be said. There are players in the A grade side who just should have been dropped weeks ago as Port Power and Crows have done over recent weeks. Who you ask? Sexton has his hand right up for a rest - hasn't played a decent game in weeks. Martin looks like he already has a deal signed to go and has been told to not get injured! Powell should have been rested or we'll burn him out like others before him. I'd play Rankine untried - he couldn't do any worse than these guys. Scheer and Heron unfortunately just don't seem to have what is needed at that level. Ellis, Murdoch and even Lemmens should be elevated given experience and body size is badly needed. There are others that have a focus on them but those mentioned above need to be made an example of. King played badly but he's a skinny kid with very few games in him BUT might need a rest in a few weeks in any case. Terribly disappointing and not all the players' fault - the game style is doing them no favours. Maybe given we have zero chance of moving up the ladder, why not let the boys off their leash and see what happens. Couldn't be worse than yesterday. Oh, and Riordan looks like he can play. Another game like that and he should be tried out. It's that time of year when all fringe players should be tested. .....and finally, please get the three rookies signed in the next few weeks or it'll get even worse with player morale etc.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There could be many reasons for the obvious lack of spirit and loss of morale. Going bottom after Carlton's huge win and an improved season with no result, would have had a massive hit to the pysche. Dropping of players (Ellis and Brodie) could also have had an effect or they are all just plain 'tuckered out'. Probably a bit of all three.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I quote mate "I reckon the dropping of Ellis had a huge effect on the team also today".
I'm done arguing with a Richmond flog who bags our coach and other young players constantly because Brodie can't get a game.
Time for a long break from the forum like others.
I think Jack Nicholson said it best - 'Some people can't handle the truth'

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I anyone thinks that selection would have fixed that horses***t display before half time, I think you’re on the wrong path.

The whole 22 played no-where near their usual pressure - I think it’s more the mental attitude that “we’re ok for a few quarters and that’s good enough”

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not switched on from the outset. Both players and to a lesser extent coaches wholly responsible. Why do I so often get the feeling this team plays like they’re the ones on holidays? Adelaide after they’ve been bitchslapped in a showdown. This could get worse for us before it gets better.

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Did notice in the second half we were trying at moving the ball from the back 50 through the corridor rather than bombing up the sidelines (a bit of what Solomon was going on about in his weekly “challenge” video)

Good to see we’re taking the game on a bit more, even if we turn it over in the forward 50

GenYBlue

Seeking #17
May 31, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
This situation absolutely reeks of Carlton pre Bolton sacking a month ago.

- Bereft of talent in the 23-29 age bracket
- Playing an ultra defensive game style
- Getting flogged because the players don't care

Now I'm not saying the same thing would happen if Dew was replaced, but this Gold Coast team is playing with no belief whatsoever and it's pretty deplorable.

One of the major contributions for Bolton's sacking was Cripps had put in the cue for two or three rounds.
There were strong and valid murmurs of him moving back to WA at season's end.
We almost had to sack Bolton to attempt to salvage the season for player retention's sake (which we are doing now thank goodness).

At Gold Coast we have a history of poor player retention issue, and if you ask my the list is NOT indicative of the first half performance.
It's the players not buying into a system and being over-coached, which is exactly what was happening with Bolton's Blues.

Teague takes over at Carlton and says "play to your strengths and don't second guess yourself, if that doesn't work then will make changes".
Similar thing has been happening under Shaw at North Melbourne.
The players of both teams have so much belief and are playing well above expectations recently, despite being under interim coaches.

What I am saying is that if Dew doesn't pull his head in and re-asses his coaching methods, another loss or two like this has to put pressure on his job and rightfully so.

Gold Coast simply can't afford to have losses like this moving forward.
It's too damaging to the brand.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
This situation absolutely reeks of Carlton pre Bolton sacking a month ago.

- Bereft of talent in the 23-29 age bracket
- Playing an ultra defensive game style
- Getting flogged because the players don't care

Now I'm not saying the same thing would happen if Dew was replaced, but this Gold Coast team is playing with no belief whatsoever and it's pretty deplorable.

One of the major contributions for Bolton's sacking was Cripps had put in the cue for two or three rounds.
There were strong and valid murmurs of him moving back to WA at season's end.
We almost had to sack Bolton to attempt to salvage the season for player retention's sake (which we are doing now thank goodness).

At Gold Coast we have a history of poor player retention issue, and if you ask my the list is NOT indicative of the first half performance.
It's the players not buying into a system and being over-coached, which is exactly what was happening with Bolton's Blues.

Teague takes over at Carlton and says "play to your strengths and don't second guess yourself, if that doesn't work then will make changes".
Similar thing has been happening under Shaw at North Melbourne.
The players of both teams have so much belief and are playing well above expectations recently, despite being under interim coaches.

What I am saying is that if Dew doesn't pull his head in and re-asses his coaching methods, another loss or two like this has to put pressure on his job and rightfully so.

Gold Coast simply can't afford to have losses like this moving forward.
It's too damaging to the brand.
Definitely not. Carlton have a far better list and Bolton was an awful coach.

You are being reactionary.

If the Suns even think about sacking Dew I wouldn't renew my membership. We have to back him in for 5+ years.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

GenYBlue

Seeking #17
May 31, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

If the Suns even think about sacking Dew I wouldn't renew my membership. We have to back him in for 5+ years.

Well you're right that Bolton was an awful coach but I think you're overrating the Carlton list a little.

Better, sure.
Far better? Debatable.

There's a lot of good youth on the Gold Coast list that mirrors Carlton's youth.
The dirge in middle-tier age bracket definitely exist for both clubs.

5+ years after a half like that? That's asinine.

Will you be saying the same thing if these types of losses are continuing into next year?

If I was being very generous I'd say Dew gets one more year and if the performances don't improve then the Club has to be proactive.

You can call me reactionary, but your position is that of inaction which is undoubtedly worse.

Standards are important.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Agree except our list is better without injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back