Preview Round 17 – GWS Giants vs Melbourne, Saturday 12th September 2020, Gabba, 7.40PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Beaten by Harry’s little brother.

Seriously, a team with (supposedly) something to play for - like locking in a finals spot - losing to a team with nothing to play for, who’ve been an embarrassment for most of the year.

I can’t say I’m surprised. I think the writing’s been on the wall for quite a while now. There’s no doubt the players returned to the field with a different mindset when the season resumed. The question is why.

We have a problem in the midfield, which has fallen apart. There’s no leadership anymore. The forward line is not much better. Against the Crows, we got done on just about every indicator, although we did manage to win the turnovers. Perhaps it might have been different if we had more time to recover, or if Williams and Kelly had played. Maybe.

Whatever the source of all these problems, it’s too late to dwell on them now, as we have an even shorter turnaround for the game against Melbourne in Brisbane. Lose that and we’re finished for the year.

I think we might have Josh Kelly back, but, acts of individual brilliance aside, if there’s no hunger for the contest across the team, a couple of line-up changes won’t make any difference.

I can’t see us keeping our spot in the eight from here. Do we even want to play finals?

A major shake-up is needed.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
What's wrong with us was on well and truly on display in the Swans-Carlton game last night.

Carlton were 39 points down at one stage yet recovered to win by 5 and keep their finals dream alive. Even the Swans, who had nothing to play for, looked hungry, and both sides had a real crack.

Why aren't we playing like that?

Hotdogs7

Draftee
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi All,

I have a fantasy question that I need your assistance with.

Do you think Jacobs will hold his spot or will Mumford come straight back in?

Appreciate it.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Sauce out, Sausage in.

giphy.gif

Long overdue but at last have made a statement.

What a total balls up this entire captaincy mess has been. The ultimate example of - if it's working leave well enough alone!

Was such a bad move and will hurt the club with players leaving as a result but its weather or not the club can play hard ball for compensation for the players leaving to keep the club on track (but that's for another thread)

I hope you don't mind me asking this here, but is Cogs still suffering from the knee injury last year? Is that why his form is down?

Think out of form for a number of factors ruck work in the middle, plays out of position, midfield set up, captaincy mess, think the knee side of it is way down the list

I hope you don't mind me asking this here, but is Cogs still suffering from the knee injury last year? Is that why his form is down?
IMO that's the most likely scenario. Plenty of AFL players have said over the years that after a serious injury (which Cogs' was), it took them a year or more to really get back to full fitness and also have faith in their body. The drop has been so precipitous that I think (hope) he'll rebound next year.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Let’s remember this is the same guy that got it wrong last time and he also things any Giant out of contract is out the door.

Will await clubs confirmation.

Shouldn't have to wait until 6:30pm, should be a light training run today and press conference will be interesting weather Cogs fronts or another player in addition to the usual Leon press conference

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
He wouldn’t go with the story unless it was definite.
What a shitstorm. 7 year contract. Made Captain. Had his worst season, ending up being dropped in the biggest game of the season.
On the positive side, it shows a fair amount of balls from the coach. Cogs form has been terrible.
The proof will be in the teams performance tomorrow.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
If true and Jezza out of form hopefully Toby is Captain
If true it's the right call. He is out of form and the other boys need to be shown now is the time to know your spot is not guaranteed.

If the team wins and finals get closer, then the players hopefully will start to panic that their place is not guaranteed come finals

On CPH2009 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He wouldn’t go with the story unless it was definite.
What a shitstorm. 7 year contract. Made Captain. Had his worst season, ending up being dropped in the biggest game of the season.
On the positive side, it shows a fair amount of balls from the coach. Cogs form has been terrible.
The proof will be in the teams performance tomorrow.
If true it's the right call. He is out of form and the other boys need to be shown now is the time to know your spot is not guaranteed.

If the team wins and finals get closer, then the players hopefully will start to panic that their place is not guaranteed come finals

On CPH2009 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Let's hope Riccardi can have a great game and continue to put heat on the other 3 key forwards to perform

Tomorrow night is pretty much win or season done

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS

No it’s not that as his movement has been fine, he’s just been horribly out of touch, making poor decisions and looking like the burden of captaincy has choked him up.

Dropping him is the right decision and shows that nobody is protected. Jezza has been off too but I thought he tried against Adelaide and he hasn’t exactly been given great service from our mids.

Kelly before getting concussion was very average too. These guys are the leaders, they are very highly paid and on long tenure, if they don’t set the standard the club fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back