Autopsy Round 17 – GWS Giants vs Melbourne, Saturday 12th September, 2020 Gabba, 7.40PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
28E32A2F-4A57-4131-8917-A4A968F3FBFD.png

8TH V 10TH

2020 TOYOTA AFL PREMIERSHIP
Round 17 • GWS V MELBOURNE
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 12TH 7:40PM AEST (GABBA)

ROUND 17 TEAMS

GIANTS

B: S.Reid, L.Keeffe, H.Shaw
HB: A.Kennedy, N.Haynes, Z.Williams
C: L.Whitfield, J.Hopper, H.Perryman
HF: J.Cameron, H.Himmelberg, M.de Boer,
F: T.Greene, J.Finlayson, B.Daniels
FOLL: S.Mumford, J.Kelly, T.Taranto

I/C: C.Idun, D.Lloyd, J.Buckley, T.Green
EMER: M.Buntine, S.Jacobs, B.Hill, I.Cumming

IN: Z.Williams, H.Perryman, B.Daniels, S.Mumford, J.Kelly, C.Idun, J.Buckley, T.Green
OUT: L.Ash (Omitted), S.Coniglio (Omitted), J.Caldwell (Omitted), S.Jacobs (Omitted), J.Hately (Omitted), A.Corr (Injured),
B.Hill (Managed), J.Riccardi (Managed)

DEMONS

B: J.Smith, S.May, J.Lever
HB: J.Hunt, T.Rivers, C.Salem
C: E.Langdon, C.Petracca, A.Tomlinson
HF: A.vandenBerg, S.Weideman, B.Fritsch
F: M.Brown, J.Melksham, C.Spargo
FOLL: M.Gawn, J.Viney, C.Oliver

I/C: A.Neal-Bullen, O.Baker, K.Pickett, N.Jetta
EMER: M.Hannan, T.McDonald, J.Lockhart, J.Wagner

IN: M.Brown, C.Spargo, N.Jetta
OUT: B.Preuss (Omitted), M.Hibberd (Injured), T.Bedford (Omitted)

Land of the Giants preview:

Beaten by Harry’s little brother.

Seriously, a team with (supposedly) something to play for - like locking in a finals spot - losing to a team with nothing to play for, who’ve been an embarrassment for most of the year.

I can’t say I’m surprised. I think the writing’s been on the wall for quite a while now. There’s no doubt the players returned to the field with a different mindset when the season resumed. The question is why.

We have a problem in the midfield, which has fallen apart. There’s no leadership anymore. The forward line is not much better. Against the Crows, we got done on just about every indicator, although we did manage to win the turnovers. Perhaps it might have been different if we had more time to recover, or if Williams and Kelly had played. Maybe.

Whatever the source of all these problems, it’s too late to dwell on them now, as we have an even shorter turnaround for the game against Melbourne in Brisbane. Lose that and we’re finished for the year.

I think we might have Josh Kelly back, but, acts of individual brilliance aside, if there’s no hunger for the contest across the team, a couple of line-up changes won’t make any difference.

I can’t see us keeping our spot in the eight from here. Do we even want to play finals?

A major shake-up is needed.

Like many others, very frustrated and pissed off by the insipid performance against the Crows. Stunningly, we can still make finals despite playing so many bad games this year, but I have zero faith that the 'winning' team will turn up to tonight's game. Of course I hope they will, but ...

Congrats to the two milestone men, Matty de Boer and Daniel Lloyd, and the debutant, Jack Buckley.

Go Giants!

More confident going into this game than last week (not that I’m super confident). When sauce Plays there is a noticeable difference in how much worse this midfield plays despite him being statistically better than mummy.

If you take out the cats game North/Swans/Crows/dogs were all loses with Jacobs in the ruck and were extremely ordinary performances.
Suns and tigers were His only other wins.
On the flip side mummy’s only loses have been lions, port & eagles.

Really nervous for next year with mummy out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back