Autopsy Round 17 – GWS Giants vs Melbourne, Saturday 12th September, 2020 Gabba, 7.40PM

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Tom Green might be my favourite non-Collingwood player. 30 disposals with only 67% TOG.

The match went for 100 minutes.

He got 30 disposals in 67 minutes.

Mental.
Yet he’s struggled to get a game in this mid-table team. Just 5 games so far. Same as Bobby Hill. You’d think they’d be demoralised and packing their bags after seeing no-future plodders picked ahead of them some weeks.

We should not have lost that game...but at least we looked better.
Some people are criticizing players for missing kicks and skill errors.
Sure, fatigue is a big factor. But we have been crying out for the team to "go for it", take risks, etc., so mistakes are going to happen. I can live with that.
We beat an undermanned Richmond by playing slow and controlling footy and it worked. So, it's hard to toss out things that work against a top team.

We beat an undermanned Richmond by playing slow and controlling footy and it worked.
The difference (and in the finals last year) was the sheer pressure we brought so when we got the contests on the wing from a long kick and the ball going out of bounds, there was no quick clearance. I haven't seen that in a while now.

The difference (and in the finals last year) was the sheer pressure we brought so when we got the contests on the wing from a long kick and the ball going out of bounds, there was no quick clearance. I haven't seen that in a while now.

Part of that is because the players have poor attitudes and don’t want to do the unseen 1%’s.

Part of that is the coach and his assistants inability to instil those values as non-negotiable.

It’s tricky as there are a lot of highly feted high draft picks that have big egos and all think they are the star of the show, they’ve got Managers telling them this, other clubs telling them this as well as friends and family.

They are in a foreign place where they get little adulation and this year they’ve also been away from home and in Hubs.

No doubt every other club is in the COVID-19 hub scenario but my information is that our players have particularly struggled with it and absolutely hated it.

Anyways we suck right now and as management made the very weak decision to re-sign the coach there is no hope in sight unless we sign a couple of incredible assistants.

One massive issue our club has is the ability it has to secure quality coaches to assist our head coach.

If you look at what Richmond, Geelong, West Coast have compared to us the difference is startling.

Leon came to us as a highly credentialed coach with good tutelage from Clarkson, his CV was very similar to Hardwick and Simpson. Personality wise his demeanour is also quite similar to Simpson but Simpson has the resources of the richest club in the comp.

Hardwick failed until Richmond put the infrastructure around him but when he got it his natural intellect and strengths shone through.

Last year with a quality assistant alson got us to a Grand Final, the replacements when that assistant left were laughable.

Changes to soft cap only make out challenge harder but I’m telling you guys if we get that right we could be ok even though I sometimes feel baffled with decisions Leon makes with team selection and game style.

If we mess this up in the off-season our window shuts with it.

Came here expecting to see a melt about the umpiring decision F**k up with 5:32 minutes to go in the second qtr. Nothing...... Go watch the highlights if you missed it. Petracca lays the tackle then takes off forward for the next receive which leads to a goal. Ump #10 allows the non tackler to take the free. Almost as bad as the decision to allow Newnes to take the kick after the siren against us instead of the Gibbons who was closest to where it went out by a good 5m.

It was covered plenty in the telecast. The wrong person taking the kick is less of a disadvantage than the complete handball whiff not being a free kick or a 50m penalty not paid to Whitfield with 30 seconds to go or the other poor decisions called out here.

Came here expecting to see a melt about the umpiring decision F**k up with 5:32 minutes to go in the second qtr. Nothing...... Go watch the highlights if you missed it. Petracca lays the tackle then takes off forward for the next receive which leads to a goal. Ump #10 allows the non tackler to take the free. Almost as bad as the decision to allow Newnes to take the kick after the siren against us instead of the Gibbons who was closest to where it went out by a good 5m.

In some games a telling error can determine the result and for us we often sit on the wrong side of free kicks (Thanks Mummy) but honestly we just weren’t good enough last night.

We didn’t lose because of that one bad call or even for some other tough calls, we lost because our players lacked composure at key moments and the team still lacks connectivity and a working plan.

Yes, we all saw it, just one of several decisions or non-decisions that hurt us. But we weren't good enough to overcome the poor umpiring against us, either.

P.S. It wasn't the worst of several shithouse calls, hence why it's not a point of melt. The Melksham hurl right in front of 3 umpires was perhaps the worst, but several other contenders.

There is some small talk on social media (Rugari I think brought it up) that the 1st quarter efforts was a message to Leon in regards to the dropping of Cogs.

We did spend a ton of time in our forward 50 but conceded 3 or so goals in that 1st quarter, let alone how well we played in patches all game only to screw up basic last pass or kick decisions.

There is some small talk on social media (Rugari I think brought it up) that the 1st quarter efforts was a message to Leon in regards to the dropping of Cogs.

We did spend a ton of time in our forward 50 but conceded 3 or so goals in that 1st quarter, let alone how well we played in patches all game only to screw up basic last pass or kick decisions.
Just had a look at that.

Can't say I agree with some of the Rugari/Curley comments. Not our worst? Maybe not, but close to it in a number of games, for a guy who's being well paid, signed for 7 years, and is captain. Equally, you cannot say that the first part of the first quarter was a response - we've been that s**t in many games this year: in fact, it's been our trademark to give away a massive advantage and kick no goals or one goal in the first quarter. So I'd say the opposite.

Just journos being journos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of that is because the players have poor attitudes and don’t want to do the unseen 1%’s.

Part of that is the coach and his assistants inability to instil those values as non-negotiable.

It’s tricky as there are a lot of highly feted high draft picks that have big egos and all think they are the star of the show, they’ve got Managers telling them this, other clubs telling them this as well as friends and family.

They are in a foreign place where they get little adulation and this year they’ve also been away from home and in Hubs.

No doubt every other club is in the COVID-19 hub scenario but my information is that our players have particularly struggled with it and absolutely hated it.

Anyways we suck right now and as management made the very weak decision to re-sign the coach there is no hope in sight unless we sign a couple of incredible assistants.
In terms of the team's ability to thrive in a hub, Tim Taranto said earlier this week they seemed to have struggled more than most other teams

Welcome! Dont worry we arent always this jaded.
No worries - it's been a disappointing year. After we put Geelong to the sword in such a clinical fashion in round 1 it's been astonishing (and painful) to watch them fail to turn up far too often, and then sometimes like the Freo match or the last quarter of the Bombers they can just flick a switch and it just flows. Really keen to understand this club's culture - it seems so much more fragile than I thought. Wish Phil hadn't gone back to Sydney this week although I realise the sooner he has surgery the sooner he can begin rehab. He just seems to be able to hold everyone together. I'll always bleed orange ... but we seem to have lost sight of the dream of a powerhouse destination club in western Sydney

Yes, we all saw it, just one of several decisions or non-decisions that hurt us. But we weren't good enough to overcome the poor umpiring against us, either.

P.S. It wasn't the worst of several shithouse calls, hence why it's not a point of melt. The Melksham hurl right in front of 3 umpires was perhaps the worst, but several other contenders.

It seems to be a common theme across the comp that when in doubt just throw it. Almost as though it’s a coached thing.
If the incorrect disposal rule was applied properly in the first place it stop it

It seems to be a common theme across the comp that when in doubt just throw it. Almost as though it’s a coached thing.
If the incorrect disposal rule was applied properly in the first place it stop it
My concern is the clearly selective application by some umpires. There's no question they've seen it, and all let it go. Same in many other games. They'll pull up ones where a hand has clearly been involved but call it a throw, and then let clear throws go uncalled.

My concern is the clearly selective application by some umpires. There's no question they've seen it, and all let it go. Same in many other games. They'll pull up ones where a hand has clearly been involved but call it a throw, and then let clear throws go uncalled.
I blame the 2016 Bulldogs...winning a premiership on the so-called "flick-pass" that legitimised disposals that aren't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back