Remove this Banner Ad

Dalfino

#BringBackTheBars
May 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
The heartbreak and disappointment of Showdown 39 has settled into our hearts; the Crows have their oh-so-precious SA bragging rights for the next 9 months and the chances of Port Adelaide playing finals in 2015 are all but up to a miracle now. It is no understatement to say that we have horrendously underperformed in a year that many predicted ours to be for the taking and we certainly didn't meet up to our great club's internal expectations. Looking back on the season so far we have been tortured with inconsistent, demoralizing and just plain embarrassing performances with losses to the top teams, bottom teams, and many teams in-between - but we haven’t been cursed with a difficult run home as our season started. With a few very winnable games and a couple of blockbusters, the build into 2016 could show give us some hope yet. Our preseason starts this Saturday night at Etihad Stadium 7:20pm Adelaide time against one of Victoria's largest clubs - the Essendon Bombers.

Last Time We Met: Saturday Night Round 16 July 5th 2014

On a rainy Saturday night in July when we attempted to break the sporting crowd sound record and claim redemption for our unacceptable showdown loss the week before, the Port Adelaide faithful with the 46,000 strong crowd were left with a sour taste in their mouths as a dismal performance saw us lose our first home game at Adelaide Oval in 2014 and continue our poor post-showdown record with a 2-point loss to Essendon. Robbie Gray starred as his usual self that day as he picked up 30 possessions with a goal and came away with 2 Brownlow votes, but Essendon's Zaharakis and Myers proved efficient enough on the day to record an upset win.

Recent Form: Finals Contenders to Finals No-Shows

Both teams are coming into this game off the back of a loss to bitter rivals; Essendon to North and Port to Crows. Coincidentally both teams are disappointed in a LLLWL record over the past 5 games in a season where things just haven't gone right for either team. Port Adelaide have been cursed with poor decision making, lack of skills and an inefficient game style that has no comparison to the exciting, fast and free flowing footy of 2014. With a finals reappearance out of view for both sides, pride, respect and form building into 2016 is on the line as we can expect a desperate encounter fired up with a few heated battles within the war.

Trading Triumph: You get Giles, we get Ryder

Essendon and Port have had an active trade relationship in the past 3 seasons as we snapped up Monfries at the end of 2012 for Pick 48 in the national draft that same year - a deal which many supporters would criticize but has ultimately paid off for Port as Angus became a key drive in the rebuild of the club during seasons 2013 and 2014. On the last day of the 2014 trade period, Port fans were welcomed home by the news that Port had signed the supposed last piece in the premiership puzzle, Paddy Ryder, from Essendon for picks 17 and 37 - a deal which has yet to pay off. Essendon have been on the giving end of these two deals over the past 3 years, but managed to pick up an ex-Port player as a ruck replacement for Ryder; Jonathan Giles and pick 62 from GWS for pick 53 from Essendon. Whilst many Port fans laughed at the trade that saw a reject from their club fall into the ranks of another, Giles could in fact be set for a fiery Essendon debut after a good performance in the VFL last weekend and Crows reject Shaun McKernan's pathetic effort when he went head-to-head with Todd Goldstein against North Melbourne. With both Monfries and Ryder expected to play, it will be a game of heated rivalries as they face a daunting trip back to the home of their former club where the Essendon faithful will most certainly find a voice for.

Conclusion: Build into the run home by downing the dons

In conclusion, the inconsistent and unconfident Port face a tough task against one of Victoria's largest clubs on Saturday night, but Essendon haven't been producing quality football either as the clash looms to result in a desperate slog for pride. Port can build into their run home which follows as St Kilda home, Bulldogs away, Giants home, Hawthorn away, Gold Coast away and Freo Home with a solid win over the gettable Bombers.

Port by 31.

EDIT: LAST MINUTE TEAM SELECTIONS

Was just about to upload this but the selections were released for the game just then. Can’t be bothered going back and changing the stuff above, so I'll just list them here:

Port Adelaide: In - M. White, A. Moore, S. Colquhoun. Out - N. Krakouer (Hamstring), P. Stewart, B. Ah Cee (Omitted)

Essendon: In - A. Browne. Out - J, Ashby

Still working on a banner which should be finished later tonight, but feel free to upload your own :)

Also sorry for the extremely late post I didn't look ahead to when I would be doing the preview and it happened to be the same week in which school started again and I've been really busy with commitments the past 5 nights so I apologize for all of you who were itching to get your thoughts out there ;)

Season may be gone, but it's still important that we win this game. We've let Essendon get the better of us when they shouldn't have too many times (most notably 2011 and 2014 losses) and this will be our longest drought-breaking win if we do get up on Saturday with our last win over them in 2010, also our last ever win under Chocco. Also, there's only one club that Ken is yet to get a win over as senior coach of the PAFC and that is Essendon. Win this game and Ken will have ticked off all opposition clubs, and if we were told when we hired him that he would achieve that by 2015, we'd be very happy so we now must win this game!

That loss to Essendon at home last year really, really stung. Played poorly all night, missed a lot of easy set shots, questionable selections heading into the match. I was copping it hard on social media minutes after the final siren and when I got home, I made a huge mistake by reading the Essendon board! My God, what filth! :straining:

I'll be there, and I think we'll win, now that we have Ryder on our team this time round.

Season may be gone, but it's still important that we win this game. We've let Essendon get the better of us when they shouldn't have too many times (most notably 2011 and 2014 losses) and this will be our longest drought-breaking win if we do get up on Saturday with our last win over them in 2010, also our last ever win under Chocco. Also, there's only one club that Ken is yet to get a win over as senior coach of the PAFC and that is Essendon. Win this game and Ken will have ticked off all opposition clubs, and if we were told when we hired him that he would achieve that by 2015, we'd be very happy so we now must win this game!

That loss to Essendon at home last year really, really stung. Played poorly all night, missed a lot of easy set shots, questionable selections heading into the match. I was copping it hard on social media minutes after the final siren and when I got home, I made a huge mistake by reading the Essendon board! My God, what filth! :straining:

I'll be there, and I think we'll win, now that we have Ryder on our team this time round.
I'm still feeling the burn from that 2013 loss as well. 10 points down and Monfries has a set shot 35 metres out on a slight angle, plays on with the snap and... MISSES! Hartlett could've really broken the game apart back then and I hope he can do that on Saturday. Been average this year, getting lots of the ball but needs to have an impact.

I'm still feeling the burn from that 2013 loss as well. 10 points down and Monfries has a set shot 35 metres out on a slight angle, plays on with the snap and... MISSES! Hartlett could've really broken the game apart back then and I hope he can do that on Saturday. Been average this year, getting lots of the ball but needs to have an impact.

Yeah I remember as he played on an Essendon supporter yelled "Yeah miss it Monfries!" and sure enough he did :( then after the game one of them yells "YOU'RE OUT THE 8 YA PRETENDERS!" when in reality we were actually still in after that round and their win didn't mean a thing as they were always going to be disqualified from finals that year :D :p

Awesome, Dal.

Not sure about the bit where you said Monfries for pick 48 (and scoring a compo pick for Chaplin iirc) would be criticised by fans though.
Probably not the deal itself, but Monfries has received more than his fair share of criticism this year and people are forgetting how valuable that trade was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All aboard the #powertrain, steam... buzzing toward the finals with seven straight wins in a row. Toot, toot.

Yeah. Bald campaigner.
hqdefault.jpg

Last year's result was my fault ... my first game at AO. If only I'd stayed home and watched it on the tele. It did provide me the highlight where my bombers supporting brother screamed at an Essendon player "have a shot" ... I think he meant on goal.

Great first preview, awesomedal14

We have no excuse for not putting Essendon to the sword. Anger at the Showdown result, revenge for the last two meetings, playing a dispirited and disillusioned rabble, Paddy getting one over his mates.

Alex Browne. Ariel Steinberg. Martin Gleeson. Kyle Langford. Jayden Laverde. Shaun Edwards. Nick O'Brien. Patrick Ambrose.
That's more than a third of their team who would struggle to be getting a game at 14 other clubs. Some may turn out to be decent players, but for now this is a club playing it's kids to analyse it's list ahead of a major cull.

Port by 10 goals

Mathew Nichols again as our umpire... GET F***** AFL! How many times do we have to put with this cheat FFS!.

I'm even considering bypassing this game and not watching it in protest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back