Review Round 17, 2016 - Brisbane Lions vs GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Have just come from a post game family debate that young Darcy has been given enough chances and in my brother and uncles opinions its time to put a line through him their main criticisms being that he is too slow, too stiff and lacks versatility, i absolutely disagree and think that Gardiner whilst not at peak is still too young to write off, still has time to develop extra skills and deserves through to end of next year to truly establish himself, if by then he hasn't improved sufficiently i may be in the camp to move him on or does anyone else here agree with the other side and think its already too late?
Hard to say.
His role should be like a Dale Morris type, however he does seem to be getting beaten quite regularly by his opponent at the moment.

Will never be a star but hopefully can play a role.

Lester struggles to sustain speed. He's not bad over short distances but his "cruising speed" is way too low. What looks like a lack of effort is often about as fast as he can go once he's required to cover more than 20-30 metres.

Mathieson is a bit the same, to be honest.

Just watched the match replay on afl.com, it came after multiple goals in the 2nd. So he was getting 45 second breaks for over 5 mins. not good enough
unfortunately ryan is a one pace player, he doesn't seem to have that extra effort in him, to make it doubly concerning is that his one pace is dead slow.

pearce hanley also appears to have gone to the ryan lester school or running in the off season.:)

one of the biggest issues I had was the continual kicking it straight down the guts from kicks ins, lost count the amount of times we tried this, it was a number of different kickers, so it obviously was team instruction.

Yet I don't recall that many disasters that ensued.

I didn't mind it. Most of the kicks got good penetration and resulted in a break even contest

Earlier in the season there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the predictability and impotence of our kick ins that were invariably going to the Stanley Street side.(kicking in from the School end)

May as well try something different. At least it shows some though and planning went in, even if it wasn't a raging success

I have real concern over Gardiner. I know he's still fairly young,but he's into his 3rd year now and to me looks way off the pace of the game with his decision making. His skills are pretty average for a player of his size that is too small to play as a lockdown key defender. Intensity is there,but how far that can take him I don't know.

He needs to work on his skills more. Not play Mr. Tough Guy.

I didn't mind it. Most of the kicks got good penetration and resulted in a break even contest

Earlier in the season there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the predictability and impotence of our kick ins that were invariably going to the Stanley Street side.(kicking in from the School end)

May as well try something different. At least it shows some though and planning went in, even if it wasn't a raging success
Better than the 5 seasons straight of kicking it to Leuenberger hoping for that throw in on the 50m arc.
The kick down the middle should be used sparingly not every single ******* time. It's worse than kicking it to the left hand side 50m arc that we seem to do every other week. They scored multiple goals from it on Saturday.

The kick down the middle should be used sparingly not every single ******* time. It's worse than kicking it to the left hand side 50m arc that we seem to do every other week. They scored multiple goals from it on Saturday.

It definitely wasn't used every time - plenty of kicks to other contests around, just more than normal I guess.

I don't know about that. I don't recall that it ever resulted in us securing possession. Most of the time, the ball returned to our defensive 50 immediately. Occasionally, we managed to force a stoppage which was then in a really dangerous position, 60-70 metres directly from our goal. At a stoppage in that position, you have to defend 360 degrees, and one quick kick forward potentially results in a shot on goal. When you are getting belted in the stoppages, it becomes an incredibly high risk tactic.

Further, the purpose of that tactic is to try and surprise the opposition and break through their zone. You want the opposition to guard the central corridor so that it spreads their defensive zone When you do it too regularly, you lose the element of surprise and the opposition starts to predict it.

I do agree that it is nice to see a changed tactic but, as with the long to the boundary kick-in, we seem to overuse the same tactic every week. We are also so predictable. If you see Schache and the ruckman moving to a spot, you can be guaranteed that is where the ball will go. It must be so easy for the opposition setting up.

Then there is an issue with execution. At one point, Hipwood punched the ball back towards our goal where 3 GWS players were front and centre. Yet, we had 2 players on the attacking side of the marking contest clearly wanting the ball to get through the marking contest. Either Hipwood did the wrong thing or the crumbers did the wrong thing. Either way, it led to a GWS goal.

FWIW, as supporters I think we do focus on kick-ins too much and that the problems poor kick-in strategy creates pale in comparison to the skill errors, lack of workrate and weak tackling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First quarter there were at least three in a row, I remember because it was infuriating.
In our best quarter?:p

The habit is to kick to the interchange side, and is infuriating. I understand the benefits of kicking toward the bench, but I'd be as happy to see a kick to a two on one as a 10 on 10. The surprise should come (and allow) for one of ours to sprint out to the fat side to out number the solitary player opponents set out there. The corridor from kick ins is fraught with danger, particularly for a side of our skill set.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-07-19/vero-coaches-wrap-rd17
Assistant Coach Murray Davis has addressed fans questions about the Lions’ kick-in strategy.

“A few of our fans have noted that there was a bit of a trend in the game of us kicking long down the middle from our kick-ins,” Davis said.

“It’s a bit of Russian Roulette and rolling the dice. It’s a high risk, high reward and we’ll continue to work with the players on it.

“I mentioned the opportunity to score. You’ll see the top teams there what their percentage is and the average is around 10-9%. We sit in that category at the moment of scoring from kick-ins.

“Sometimes it’s just about being able to force a stoppage and if you’re lucky enough to get through and score that’s what we’re hoping to do.”

Davis explained that through heat mat technology, the club is able to track each kick-in.

Between Rounds 14-17, 53% of the Lions' kick in plays have gone through the corridor. See heat map below:

veroheatmaprd17.jpg

“We touched on the heat maps last week with regard to players but we also have it from a kick-in point of view," he said.

“You can see where we sit currently all year in regard to where we’re going. The red highlighting the part which is our main target area. Over the last four rounds we’ve really focussed on that area.

“We have access to all the other clubs information as well as to where they use and go for their kick-ins we’ll study that from a defensive point of view.”

Kind of feels like before the game Leppa tells everyone that this weeks skill is kicking through the corridor. Watching the coaches wrap made it all seem pretty amateur. What's the point in kicking long to a contest and telling fans about it if you're not going to show why it didn't work in any depth. One example was that Hipwood didn't make the tackle and Rocky missed the smother...what about who was supposed to be front and centre or what kind of structure we're going for to lock the ball in to get a ball up. The coaches must know that if we kick long to a contest, the chances of us having clean disposal and getting the ball into our forward line for a goal are almost zero. We don't have players that are above average at contested marks, it really felt like a "nothing else is working so we'll try this".

Kind of feels like before the game Leppa tells everyone that this weeks skill is kicking through the corridor. Watching the coaches wrap made it all seem pretty amateur. What's the point in kicking long to a contest and telling fans about it if you're not going to show why it didn't work in any depth. One example was that Hipwood didn't make the tackle and Rocky missed the smother...what about who was supposed to be front and centre or what kind of structure we're going for to lock the ball in to get a ball up. The coaches must know that if we kick long to a contest, the chances of us having clean disposal and getting the ball into our forward line for a goal are almost zero. We don't have players that are above average at contested marks, it really felt like a "nothing else is working so we'll try this".

And this is my issue with the current coaching department. Nothing seems planned or trained properly. It should be from day 1 of pre season training till end of the home and away season doing the same things and getting the players to be so trained in the processes that they become second nature. Right now with the Lions it's a case of play down the boundary. Then when that doesn't work go down the middle. then it's chip it around and slow the game down - that didn't work so now lets go back to run and gun at all costs. All of this says to me the coaches haven't come up with a sustainable plan/structure.

Better than the 5 seasons straight of kicking it to Leuenberger hoping for that throw in on the 50m arc.

Well that's the best we realistically could hope for kicking it long to Luey.

Had to be (and still is?) the worst contested mark for his size in the AFL.

Haven't really been following him closely this year bit I suspect he still has those concrete hands the the ball invariably bounces off

Don't really want to hang Lester without tracking his running prior to the Lobb race. Easy to hang him without seeing the earlier footage.
He is so slow,opponents attack off him...its been that way since he started. Be and Bewick are the living, just, definition of list cloggers.

Back