Review Round 17, 2017: Essendon v Box Hill Hawks, 12 August 2017, 2.10pm @ Windy Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

I do feel sorry for Vickery. Did he have a shocker? Yes. Does he have a place in the senior side? Maybe not. But the psychological trauma this bloke has to go through when putting on a jumper must be immense. It was bad when he was at Richmond. It got especially bad when he was made the scapegoat for our poor earlier performances by opposition supporters and social media. It got even worse when he went through the whole scandal, where even though he was the victim he was slandered by journalists. Today, whenever he got the ball the opposition supporters at Windy Hill gave him bronx cheers and booed him.

The least he could expect is some civility from Hawthorn supporters, regardless of what he's being paid. We're better than those at Richmond. But it seems as if he's not even getting that. The fact that he isn't taking a break from everything absolutely astounds me, because if it were me in his position I would have cracked a long time ago. It doesn't matter how we perceive his recruitment. He is now a Hawthorn player, and deserves our support. Posting things like 'I hate him' is not on.

I agree. I was not a fan of recruiting him but now that he is here he is part of the Hawthorn family and you support family through thick and thin even when you feel like they have let you down.

Don't feel to bad for him on half a million bucks a year for doing what he does, and yes I stopped reading after those 5 words.
My hero.

Yes, it's difficult when you think of all the good the relationship has done for both parties, but that Grand Final still burns how BH Premiership chances were sabotaged like that. Although the stakes weren't as high today it just felt awkward seeing JOM sitting there fit. I'd rather they did this through the development league if 3 quarters was their plans for him with Top spot on the line.

CHAMPER
Getting an A grader for three quarters is a risk but you'd take it every time

I can't believe what I've read these past few pages. Heatherley was taken to the cleaners and has no-one to blame but himself for Box Hill losing that game, and people have a go at Vickery. Right on.

I can't believe what I've read these past few pages. Heatherley was taken to the cleaners and has no-one to blame but himself for Box Hill losing that game, and people have a go at Vickery. Right on.

Wow, he must be a midfielder then because it's not like you can blame a defender for letting the ball come inside 50???

Perhaps have a lie down...

I would not be seen dead at Scum Hill so I watched the game on C7. At 1/4 time I was worried after seeing a similar looking jovial huddle to what I observed at 3/4 time against Sandringham. It looked as though we went into snooze mode again. I accept to big picture required JOM's game time to be managed however I have to wonder if having him play out of the goal square could have been an option. It would have given us a crucial additional rotation and I'd back JOM one on one.
The quality of umpires must be very poor given umpire number 7 was promoted after his disgraceful performance in last week's development game.
Edit: I'm totally over Kurt giving away free kicks and 50 metres penalties with both unnecessary and undisciplined acts.

Don't feel to bad for him on half a million bucks a year for doing what he does, and yes I stopped reading after those 5 words.

Agreed. I fell sorry for kids like Woody whose bodies let them down.

Ty has had a run at it, been paid very well and attracted lots of ridicule (the last part is not great).

If I was him I'd keep away from public forums and social media. Have a crack at it next year with his full heart or walk away.

If it does not work out for you, given what you've earned, take a year or two off, travel the world with your tennis partner and forget about footy.

Then, move to Miami, complete your law degree and practice there and she can continue to play tennis.

I don't feel for him. He's volunteered for an industry that has massive pluses and massive minuses. He comes across as a pretty intelligent bloke so should be able to separate himself from the trash of Aussie society.

What does delivery have to do with giving away free shots on goal by being an absolute idiot?

My apologies, I didn't expect my statement would result in me having to inform you about how Australian Rules Football works;but it does now explain your uneducated criticism of a single player in a team game. Best of luck !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys, just compiling the stats of this game but there is a discrepancy between the VFL site and the Footy Live app.

VFL site has a J.Walker playing (and also named him in the bests players list), Footy Live has a N.Lane. Does anyone know who actually played today?

Going with N.Lane unless otherwise proven.

8b3ihFX.png

f444Gal.png

Hi guys, just compiling the stats of this game but there is a discrepancy between the VFL site and the Footy Live app.

VFL site has a J.Walker playing (and also named him in the bests players list), Footy Live has a N.Lane. Does anyone know who actually played today?
Nelson Lane was a late out replaced by Walker.

Nelson Lane was a late withdrawal

Any word on Lovell yet? Hearing mixed reports - shoulder, ankle?

All I know is we need to change his number quickly O_O

He would look good in 15 :cool:

(IMO it's his ankle. I too saw him holding his shoulder after a tumble but he played on after that and it was reported that it was his ankle. I know everyone thinks Hawthorn lie a lot about injuries but I don't subscribe to that (conspiracy) theory).

So since the loss to Willy, Pitto has produced

Rd 14 - 14D (8), 49HO (52), 138DT (96) - (T. Goldstein, Werribee)
Rd 15 - 15D (15), 33HO (28), 110DT (70) - (T. Hickey, Sandringham)
Rd 16 - 17D (16), 31HO (22), 99DT (80) - (R. Abbott, Geelong)
Rd 17 - 17D (10), 48HO (21), 115DT (73) - (S. Draper, Essendon)

Avg - 15.8D (12.3) +29%, 40.3HO (30.8) +31%, 115.5DT (79.8) +45%

Handy little run of form. If McEvoy wasn't in such good form, we might've seen Pitto get a senior call up.

So since the loss to Willy, Pitto has produced

Rd 14 - 14D (8), 49HO (52), 138DT (96) - (T. Goldstein, Werribee)
Rd 15 - 15D (15), 33HO (28), 110DT (70) - (T. Hickey, Sandringham)
Rd 16 - 17D (16), 31HO (22), 99DT (80) - (R. Abbott, Geelong)
Rd 17 - 17D (10), 48HO (21), 115DT (73) - (S. Draper, Essendon)

Avg - 15.8D (12.3) +29%, 40.3HO (30.8) +31%, 115.5DT (79.8) +45%

Handy little run of form. If McEvoy wasn't in such good form, we might've seen Pitto get a senior call up.
Good numbers. He still frustrates me. Would love to see him get angry out there and impose himself more. I need patience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back