Preview Round 17, 2018: Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions, 14 July 2018, 1.45pm @ York Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene Simmons

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2007
Melbourne Rock City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
TOB will eventually have a game where the footy just sticks and he clunks afew... I'm not saying we're gonna see it week in, week out but it's getting close...I feel it in my bones ;)

The most frustrating thing about TOB is he is a beautiful set shot for goal, same as Shoey... I'd probably have them both in my top 5 set shots at the club.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Ellis should give you the answer to that.

Some players just can't put on muscle/weight easily. And you don't want to put on weight for the sake of weight, especially if it hinders an aspect of their game that is crucial (usually running capacity/agility).

You seen Ellis lately?

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do you need a hug? I know it’s hard when the world is confusing because your favourite unproven player is not getting a game. Understand clarko doesn’t hate you he just has a different priority.

Lol trot on man

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I enjoy it when people offer up reasoned opinions. I don’t enjoy it when the same posters sledge the same players every single time they get picked and suggest, let’s not play a tall guy who can ruck, let’s play a small player who struggles with the fitness demands of vfl. Or better yet, let’s pick a player who is presently injured. And then when you point out that maybe we need someone to ruck and/or who can run out a game the response you get is ‘it’s my opinion’, ‘that player is s**t’, ‘that player has had 45 swings and never done anything good’, ‘you just hate anyone that disagrees with clarko’.

These posters don’t want to understand why O’Brien is getting a game, they just want to vent because he is getting a game despite very obvious reasons why he was selected. This anger and frustration has become a constant in preview, game day and autopsy threads. Player x gets picked, we get frustrated posters venting. Player x does something good in the game, crickets. Player x makes one mistake, that player is so s**t, I hate him, should never play for the club again, why don’t they play one down instead as it would be better???? Then we see the same s**t in the autopsy thread. It doesn’t really matter who it is, so long as those posters have someone to fire shots at, they are happy. Problem is, it makes for s**t reading.

Mr Bris, it is you getting wound up and frustrated, it's certainly not me. The depth of your posts and the venom associated is a pretty obvious indicator, kinda like when Timbo jumps like a gangly giraffe and falcons himself 2-3 times a game (a slight exaggeration but for the impact of my post I thought it was warranted) as proof he isn't capable at the elite level.

Timbo is playing, I don't like it but I accept it and look forward to the game.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
TOB will eventually have a game where the footy just sticks and he clunks afew... I'm not saying we're gonna see it week in, week out but it's getting close...I feel it in my bones ;)

The most frustrating thing about TOB is he is a beautiful set shot for goal, same as Shoey... I'd probably have them both in my top 5 set shots at the club.

40% accuracy set shot in 18.. he has a nice hand to foot motion but this year he has been off.

jameses

All Australian
Jun 29, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Still in disbelief that people want Lewis to compete with Stefan Martin as a second ruck. Lewis might end of being a better long term prospect but this weekend, at his stage of development, it wouldn’t benefit him. Nor would it benefit Hawthorn.

Mar 26, 2011
Where kookaburras chuckle.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Jarman Impey needs to get on the scoreboard. Re: Tim O'brien will play until he clicks. Said it before will say it again. Clarko will make sure...he's invested too much into this kid.
Lets move along and hope the form they showed against the dogs carries over to this game. If it has I think we're in for a ride over the next month.

Tasmaniac

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Here, there, everywhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. The biggest comment made by the in's is our lack of depth. We are right on the edge, if we were to suffer any more injuries without already injured senior players coming back, we would have to start putting non-senior ready players in the team.

Bit disappointed in Lovell, I'm not saying he should have been selected, I'm saying he should be playing well enough at Box Hill to force his way in. I guess he's got next year too, but his lack of progress/standout ability at BH is a concern. I sort of expect talented skinny youngsters to still stand out a bit at BH, I'm not talking top 5 best players, but to do a couple of skillful/athletic things in each game, showing what AFL level talent can do. Not hearing a lot of that about Lovell.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hope it's a good game tomorrow. You have a much better team in tomorrow than our last meeting and we have a worse team (no andrews no cameron - both were tracking top 3 b&f). Based on this and tas factor you should win.

Jarman Impey needs to get on the scoreboard. Re: Tim O'brien will play until he clicks. Said it before will say it again. Clarko will make sure...he's invested too much into this kid.
Lets move along and hope the form they showed against the dogs carries over to this game. If it has I think we're in for a ride over the next month.

Jarman Impey has been playing in defense so he needs to continue what he is doing, since his move back there we have been rock steady.

Mr Bris, it is you getting wound up and frustrated, it's certainly not me. The depth of your posts and the venom associated is a pretty obvious indicator, kinda like when Timbo jumps like a gangly giraffe and falcons himself 2-3 times a game (a slight exaggeration but for the impact of my post I thought it was warranted) as proof he isn't capable at the elite level.

O'Brien is a better ruck choice than Lewis at present, BrisHawk is correct and you saying that 'it's just my opinion' every time you plaster certain selections clearly rubs people the wrong way. I don't have the statistics on both of them but at AFL level Lewis clearly gets outbodied easily at ruck contests whereas O'Brien tends to compete a lot better through his jump and explosiveness. In terms of ruck contests attended vs contests won, O'Brien's percentage would be pretty solid and his tap work is by no means a weak point either.

This all hinges on what we need in terms of match ups, and O'Brien being athletic and strong relative to his size means that he's a more solid match up for another athletic ruck like Martin - it avoids Ceglar being exploited on the spread away from the contest and around the ground. Ceglar still lacks for match fitness, after all.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. The biggest comment made by the in's is our lack of depth. We are right on the edge, if we were to suffer any more injuries without already injured senior players coming back, we would have to start putting non-senior ready players in the team.

Bit disappointed in Lovell, I'm not saying he should have been selected, I'm saying he should be playing well enough at Box Hill to force his way in. I guess he's got next year too, but his lack of progress/standout ability at BH is a concern. I sort of expect talented skinny youngsters to still stand out a bit at BH, I'm not talking top 5 best players, but to do a couple of skillful/athletic things in each game, showing what AFL level talent can do. Not hearing a lot of that about Lovell.

not about Lovell, but hearing good things about Worpel and Lewis..... paints a picture

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn

You complain about his selection every time. Clearly you don’t accept it.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jarman Impey has been playing in defense so he needs to continue what he is doing, since his move back there we have been rock steady.

O'Brien is a better ruck choice than Lewis at present, BrisHawk is correct and you saying that 'it's just my opinion' every time you plaster certain selections clearly rubs people the wrong way. I don't have the statistics on both of them but at AFL level Lewis clearly gets outbodied easily at ruck contests whereas O'Brien tends to compete a lot better through his jump and explosiveness. In terms of ruck contests attended vs contests won, O'Brien's percentage would be pretty solid and his tap work is by no means a weak point either.

This all hinges on what we need in terms of match ups, and O'Brien being athletic and strong relative to his size means that he's a more solid match up for another athletic ruck like Martin - it avoids Ceglar being exploited on the spread away from the contest and around the ground. Ceglar still lacks for match fitness, after all.

If posters get riled up because I am trying clearly state that my views are simply a personal opinion they need to check themselves. I love the discussion here and never attack the poster or rant and rage, however it's quite clear that when an opinion is put forward that is against their own a tanty transpires. Obsurd

Thought he was out of contract this year. Only signed a 1 year deal very late last yer.

If he can develop as he should, then we have a very handy player.
Probably far too similar player to Mitchell though, so can you carry both in 1 side

Tasmaniac

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Here, there, everywhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
not about Lovell, but hearing good things about Worpel and Lewis..... paints a picture

Yes, players 12 (or is it 24?) months less development, good things, 12 months more development (Lovell), not hearing about it. Earlier draft pick too (I say that in reference to potentially having more AFL talent).

Not all player progress is in straight lines, but I'm starting to get a little concerned about the lack of stand out moments.

Tasmaniac

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Here, there, everywhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Thought he was out of contract this year. Only signed a 1 year deal very late last yer.

Probably far too similar player to Mitchell though, so can you carry both in 1 side

I wan't sure of his contract status, I was just thinking in general terms, we are short on young talent (we will try and stock up at end of year), but the shortage might/should mean he gets another year to see if he can get a big uptick in his performances. We have held onto JOR & TOB for half of forever, and a big part of that is our lack of young talent means the little that we had get's plenty of TLC (as our stock of talent increases, less TLC for unremarkable performers).

I haven't seen him play live, but he had better have a more diverse skill set than a (lesser) Mitchell clone. Much smaller too.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I would have liked him to play but watching the 2s last week he looks more plodder/VFL level than AFL footballer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back