Review Round 17, 2018 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been following the Lions since right before the three-peat started, and obviously enjoyed the finals tremendously...but AFL was always a third sport to me (behind football/soccer and rugby league). Obviously, things since our finals haven't been great, and there have been seasons of apathy on my part, but in the past few years, despite the struggles, I've been loving AFL more and more. I've become more invested in the Lions rebuild. I watch the progress of trade week, and the draft, and get excited about all the new players I know nothing about, the new season rolls around...and then we show nothing on the field again haha.

This season has been different. We were on one win for ages, but it was obvious...so, so obvious the strides we were taking. I have lurked on these forums for years, but felt I had to finally make an account after this win, just to say, this is the most optimistic I've been about the Lions for as long as I can remember. We're still near the foot of the ladder, but every week this season (with the exception of Richmond), I've seen just where the future is coming from.

This is a team, who loses almost every week, but the lads never seem to give up. They don't stop working, they put their bodies on the line. They show tremendous togetherness, and best of all, seem to really have bought into the project. It was made easier to be optimistic with the pre-season re-signings of McCluggage, Witherdan and Rayner. That was enormous. I was finally convinced we'd turned the corner and all these young lads we put the time into, may actually be here long term.

Smashing Freo, and Carlton was amazing, but I wasn't optimistic in this game. I didn't think we'd be embarrassed, but I thought we'd go down by a few goals, and when the Hawks scored a handful in a row, it was concerning...but the spirit and the fight shown in the second half was wonderful to watch. That last quarter was spectacular. Rich and Walker down back were absolutely stellar. Walker taking important marks time and time again. Rich getting the team on the front foot again.

I've got to say, I can't pick the young player I think will be the best at this point. I love Witherden and Berry, but jeez, every time Rayner touches the ball, I'm on the edge of my seat....and McCluggage...he's a rolls royce player...makes me think of Simon Black, seems like he has all the time in the world. Add Andrews and Hipwood, and you've got the spine of a team that within a few years should be immensely damaging. This team is genuinely fun to watch.

A beautiful game - Clugga, Walker, Rich, Rayner and Beams for me. The great players find time & space when there appears none - Clugga might be ok. Again playing our best footy with Walker and (just for Dodongo’s sake) Barrett in the team. Rich’s last 5-6 weeks have been sensational.

McCluggage 29 and a goal, Berry 24 (15 contested) and a goal, Witherden 27 at 85%, Rayner 19 and 3 goals (11 score involvements). There's the future.

Really good games from the younger players, great to see Hugh and Cam getting interviewed together after the game.

Clugga, Berry, Walker, Rich and Beams

So many guys could have gotten a vote. The young boys are carrying us over the line in big games. Exciting times!

Today they took ownership of the Brisbane Lions.

It is their team now and we are in good hands.

...just so damn happy and proud.

As far as the pressure goes, that is the best game of the year for mine. All bar the last 10 mins of the 2nd quarter the pressure was immense all game.
The best part about that is that it is the young boys that are leading the way.
A better win than the last one against the Hawks due to it being away and the pressure of the game. We outlasted them and blew them away in the end and only let them kick 1 point in the last quarter.
Can not praise Walker enough for his efforts in that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After his shocking first half and a bit, I think after a few clean touches you could see Cox's confidence rise and he actually looked good a few times hitting the ball at pace and gathering cleanly
His pick up in the last quarter I believe when if he fumbled or stuffed it, would have seen a Hawks goal was insanely clean.

Simon black and Michael Voss reincarnate
McLuggage looks so much like Blacky with the ball.

Percentage at 91%. 4 wins. Anyone suggesting we weren’t improving because we couldn’t win tight games at the beginning of the season can take a seat on the bench!

A few goals went begging today too. If we get that polish to nail those goals every time the rest of the comp better look out!!

fantastic win by the lads. They really stood up when they could have easily folded. So much talent in our squad at the moment. I love the way Fagan has us playing. It is heartbreaking at times but generally great footy to watch.

Back