Autopsy Round 17, 2019: Hawks defeat Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Great seeing Birchall contributing so much in his first game back. Didn't even look like he'd missed more than a few weeks. Still sharp.

Was also really great seeing good performances from Lewis, Wingard and O'Brien. Exciting stuff!

Barlow’s votes on SEN were obviously for Freo’s b&f

3 Fyfe
2 Worpel
1 Hill

Ummmm there was a guy called Hendo who played a pretty good game today
At least SEN went to the effort of getting someone objective to vote.

Genuine team effort today would have Clarko rapt. Good even contributors across the board with the young blokes all having a crack. A lot to like. No real passengers, no one put in a Barry Cocker.

Just an aside I observed today that I thought quite funny. There were so many instances that Brad Hill could have expected hard body contact, but every single time our boys pulled up completely, hands out like they were touching the family crystal. Instructions from Clarko must have been I don’t want the merchandise dented upon return to the original owner. Complete bruise free today. Let’s hope it’s a sign of things to come.

Interestingly, during an interview after the game Issac Smith said, ‘I like playing with him more than against him”. He said it in way and with a tone that was somewhat different from the usual we miss Hilly, but now he’s just the opposition or other straight bat responses from players. Like he had some level of expectation. Look I maybe reading to much into it or it may have been a little Freudian slip. Can only hope!

Last edited:
Pretty nice effort by Breust. Looked polished.

3 goals, 8 tackles and a couple of pretty handy pieces of play.

Nice day at the office, though, as quite often, goes over-looked by many.

28 goals for the season. 10th on the goal kicking list.

He was great today.

Part of what makes him such a good player is that he rarely slips over, doesn't fumble and has amazing core strength and evasive skills. When he's been down on form and without confidence this year he has been very fumbly and slipping more than usual. He looked back to his best today though. Some of his tap ons and one touch steps out of a pack were sublime.

On Wingard I thought he looked a few KGs slimmer than he has all year and moved better as a result. Didn't get an enormous amount of it but looked dangerous whenever he did. His best 4 quarter game of the year imo

Didn't they quote that stat on 3LO?
I wouldn't know. I was checking his wins because everyone used to talk about tuck's game total until Harvey beat it, but I had always maintained Tuck's real record was his 302 wins, which I thought (until his injury) Birchall had a real shot at surpassing. Had checked Burgoynes against Brent Harvey (who played in 235 wins) I happened to do that this week (with all the 400 celebrations for the Storm player.) So I wondered which club Harvey, Burgoyne and their era had similar numbers. Burgoyne was one win behind Freo until today.

But 3LO there's a blast form the past, haven't heard from or of it for 35 years. It's the Melbourne ABC station isn't it? Yep just checked 774. SO many memories. Cricket in the summer and footy in the winter. Here it's nearly all NRL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone see Lyon's presser? Had a big meltdown about Fyfe not getting frees. Mustn't have remember the soft one that led directly to a shot at goal (which Fyfe shanked out on the full) or the fact he interfered with a 50m penalty and the ump ignored it.

Surely he remembers these incidents with his photographic memory.

Great seeing Birchall contributing so much in his first game back. Didn't even look like he'd missed more than a few weeks. Still sharp.

Was also really great seeing good performances from Lewis, Wingard and O'Brien. Exciting stuff!

This has probably been raised before, but I love the irony that he played his first game for the Hawks in front of his home crowd in 2006 against Fremantle, and came back after a long absence on the same ground against the same club 13 years later. :)

Anyone see Lyon's presser? Had a big meltdown about Fyfe not getting frees. Mustn't have remember the soft one that led directly to a shot at goal (which Fyfe shanked out on the full) or the fact he interfered with a 50m penalty and the ump ignored it.

Surely he remembers these incidents with his photographic memory.

Whatever happened to the days when a coach wasn't allowed to criticise umpires?

Whatever happened to the days when a coach wasn't allowed to criticise umpires?
I personally think he was trying to be clever. He didn't want to get pinged for criticising some of the softer frees we got close to goal in the early part of the game, so he put a focus around protecting a ball winning mid instead as a cop out.

Just an aside I observed today that I thought quite funny. There were so many instances that Brad Hill could have expected hard body contact, but every single time our boys pulled up completely, hands out like they were touching the family crystal. Instructions from Clarko must have been I don’t want the merchandise dented upon return to the original owner. Complete bruise free today. Let’s hope it’s a sign of things to come.

Interestingly, during an interview after the game Issac Smith said, ‘I like playing with him more than against him”. He said it in way and with a tone that was somewhat different from the usual we miss Hilly, but now he’s just the opposition or other straight bat responses from players. Like he had some level of expectation. Look I maybe reading to much into it or it may have been a little Freudian slip. Can only hope!
Even if Hill is in our colors next year Smith will most likely still be lining up against him.

Timmy looks like he’s starting to believe.

His form today and his attack on the ball aerially was akin to what he was doing at Box Hill late last year.

It’s all above the shoulders with Tim.

Timmy looks like he’s starting to believe.

His form today and his attack on the ball aerially was akin to what he was doing at Box Hill late last year.

It’s all above the shoulders with Tim.
A couple more of these and i think everyone will be believing!

I just want someone to look at me the same way Clarko looks at Chad

694301.jpg

Seriously though despite the injury plagued season he has looked infinitely more happy in his time at the Hawks than those last few years at Port. He really has embraced the club and i can't wait for the fans to jump on when they really see what he is capable of.

A couple more of these and i think everyone will be believing!

Gee, he just owned that from 10-15 metres out...

Brilliant attack on the ball & kept it up all day. I was very pleasantly surprised by his foot speed throughout the game. Sure, was in spurts, but he looked genuinely quick at stages, when running away from opponents.

I agree with Abasi (who has said it forever, as have others): that it’s ‘above the shoulders’ with TO’B.

What a huge win that would be for us, if he kept improving into next season & delivered on field the sum of his athletic parts!

And how awesome & vindicating for him it would be!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back