Preview Round 17, 2019: Hawthorn v Fremantle, 13 July 2019, 2.10pm @ York Park featuring the return of Grant Birchall

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseman2

Team Captain
Mar 31, 2008
NYC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Glass stays. Last night wasn't his best but we have looked a much better side since he has been in. You are going to get up and down performances with young players and by supporting and backing them in they are going to start to believe the belong and hopefully, performance will reflect that.
Cast your mind back to Hardwick being re-modelled as a defender, it took time and mistakes and didn't happen over night, yet now he is now one of the first picked every week.
Having watched Glass at Box Hill, he has good size, speed and kicks it well (yes I saw the clanger last night), he just needs time and exposure.
Think Tadgh Kennelly (who I actually played against mulitple times), could get a kick in the 2's in the SFL which was an even lower standard than the NEAFL and turns into a 200 gamer and premiership player. And Connor is miles in front of where he was at at the same age.
Supporters need to have patience.

If he gets through the VFL game today you would have to think he will play this game. Welcome back Birchall!

IN: Birchall, Wingard

OUT: Howe (suspension), Glass (omitted)

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Birchall, O’Brien, Sicily

C: Henderson, Shiels, Smith

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Burgoyne

F: Breust, Lewis, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Scully, Nash, Hanrahan, Impey

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t think Glass or Nash were terrible. Glass had 2-3 weeks of good football and while he didn’t play his best game vs Collingwood his mistakes are being exaggerated. Nash still lacks the forward craft, but he was able to halve basically every contest last night and was involved with a few important touches.

But both Wingard and Scrimshaw are automatic inclusions, and Hanrahan has been electric. Both of them might not be ready in which case no change - perhaps Glass for Moore.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If he gets through the VFL game today you would have to think he will play this game. Welcome back Birchall!

IN: Birchall, Wingard

OUT: Howe (suspension), Glass (omitted)

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Birchall, O’Brien, Sicily

C: Henderson, Shiels, Smith

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Burgoyne

F: Breust, Lewis, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Scully, Nash, Hanrahan, Impey
Clarko said if Birch gets through a full game today, he's available for selection v Freo. I'm pumped.

Birchall has played a half in both VFL games. Expect him to play around 70-80% game-time today. Minchington is also edging closer to selection. This will be his third consecutive game now.

Amazing what one or two moments do to selection. Before that last quarter TOB was gone next week. Similarly, thought glass did some good stuff and Mash had a great game last week. Wouldn’t make knee-jerk changes and would still focus on long term development.

I’d prefer to go unchanged unless we have guys knocking down the door.

Birch? Maybe. Scrimshaw if he’s ready. Wingard if he’s 100% (I assume he won’t ever work out where box hill city oval is).

But no chance for change sake.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
If wingard and scrim are fit they’ll come in. Jones is probably next in line for the youngsters after them. Birch needs to get through a full game and recover well - would be surprised if he was ready.

Potential outs would be glass and Nash, Howe (if susp) and maybe tob (to fit in scrim)

Chad for nash
Jones for glass
Scrim for tob

Breustiful

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Preston Makedonia, West Brom
Glass stays. Last night wasn't his best but we have looked a much better side since he has been in. You are going to get up and down performances with young players and by supporting and backing them in they are going to start to believe the belong and hopefully, performance will reflect that.
Cast your mind back to Hardwick being re-modelled as a defender, it took time and mistakes and didn't happen over night, yet now he is now one of the first picked every week.
Having watched Glass at Box Hill, he has good size, speed and kicks it well (yes I saw the clanger last night), he just needs time and exposure.
Think Tadgh Kennelly (who I actually played against mulitple times), could get a kick in the 2's in the SFL which was an even lower standard than the NEAFL and turns into a 200 gamer and premiership player. And Connor is miles in front of where he was at at the same age.
Supporters need to have patience.
Agree in parts. He did some good things, did some utterly horrific things. I don't mind playing him though, he goes in hard and can be swung forward and back. He had 13% efficiency last night, those are things that can lose you a game. Double edged sword really.

hawkheart

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2007
your mind
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coventry FC
Looking for a moment two weeks ahead, if Rough isn’t selected to play against the Cats (and I don’t think his form warrants it) then we’ll likely never see him take to the MCG as a player again, which is a bit sad. A farewell game - if there’s to be one in Melbourne - would be at Marvel v North or Gold Coast (our home game, go figure)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back